XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

ABS Warning Light: Location of Wheel Speed Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2021 | 08:08 PM
|
Veteran Member
Question ABS Warning Light: Location of Wheel Speed Sensor

And yet another problem rears its ugly little head....

A few days ago, the Anti-Lock warning light came on.
Reading up on the issue, I discovered how to use the diagnostic connector in the rear to find out the problem. It was easy to short out the right wires, and turn the ignition key to Position II to count the blinks. I videoed them to make sure I didn't mis-count.

Diagnostic terminal by ABS module. (Padded by old work glove as the rubber strap is a little loose.)

The results were 88, 31, 41, and 75.
I cannot find any reference to an 88 error code in the listing (available to download from various forum posts). No idea what this means. A diagnostic self-check?
However, 31, 41, and 75 all point to the front left wheel speed sensor.
THIS POST from the XK8 forum has some photos of the sensor location, but it seems quite a different arrangement to the XJS.

So my question is, where is the front left wheel speed sensor? (Also, I assume "left" refers to port here.)

A, B, or something else? Also, should that bit around the bottom of that vertical thing be at an angle like that?

This looks likely. I think. Maybe.

Also, if anyone can tell me where the cable/wire is inside the engine compartment, that would be nice. I have one wire that side where the insulation has almost entirely come off, but it's never caused a problem before. To my knowledge....

The car brakes smoothly in a dead straight line. No pulling whatsoever. The ABS light comes on when the ignition is on, then turns off, then comes on again while driving - generally, as I said, when making a left turn. So because it turns off after the initial self-check, I gather there's no issue with bulb pressurization. And I also gather it's safe to drive (and am doing so), but I still like to keep her in good condition and the glowing light bugs me, so I would prefer to fix the issue.

So if anyone can kindly point me to the actual sensor, I'll get some jack stands and jack the car up, take off the wheel, and see if cleaning it fixes the issue. If not, it may be beyond my powers....

Old 08-29-2021 | 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

In your last photo, the part you have put in the red box is the speed sensor. It comes into the engine bay and the connector is basically straight outboard of the throttle assembly. This is a LHD car looking rearward on the left side.

In the photo above that, part B is the upper ball joint, and part A is the upright. The drop link for the anti roll bar that you have asked if it should be at an angle, the answer is yes. Sides of the car ( right, left) are always orientated as if you were sitting in the drivers seat looking forward. Doesn't matter if the car is RHD or LHD, the left side is the same for both that way.

The following users liked this post:
Some Day, Some Day (08-29-2021)
Old 08-30-2021 | 12:56 AM
|
Veteran Member

Thanks very much, Jagboi. So it's this wire that has lost all its insulation here, then.

The braided cable is completely exposed.

It's been exposed for a while now, however, without any issues.

Anyway, now I know what to look for, I can see about accessing it and whether or not a clean will help. And perhaps wrap the exposed wire in heat-resistant insulation tape. Can't hurt....
And noted about the angled anti-roll bar - thanks. I was wondering about that.

Old 08-30-2021 | 09:26 AM
Veteran Member

I looks to me that it is cockeyed into the plug of the rest of the harness, that might be the problem. I'd unlpug those wires and see if there is any debris inside and then try and plug them back together so they fit square.

The braid is to prevent electrical interference, the outer sheath is just protection for the braid. I don't think the missing outer sheath is that critical.

I don't like the angle:

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
Greg in France (08-31-2021), Some Day, Some Day (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021 | 05:01 PM
|
Veteran Member

Okay, I'll give that a go. I tried pulling it apart by pressing those tabs, but my fingernails are too wide, so I'll use a screwdriver.
And thanks for the info about the braided thing. When I first noticed it missing, I had visions of great electrical arcs surging around inside the engine....