XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Adjusting The Kickdown (XJS V12)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,279 Likes on 5,451 Posts

OB
I should have said, when clamping the inner with the wrench against the end of outer and pressing the pedal, you will NOT have to press very much, as the only movement allowed will be the 1/4 inch against the spring.
Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

OB - It was I who had marked it RESOLVED, as I thought it had been at that point.

No problem, I have merged both your threads together and into the original posting, all posts remain in place and in order.

Here's hoping I can gewt back and add RESOLVED at some point soon.

Good luck

orangeblossom (09-10-2014)
Old 09-10-2014, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,797 Likes on 2,629 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
OB

The setup may be jamming a bit, even though you do not think it is. First now you have unjammed it, lube it with some engine oil and work it in and out a few times. You should be able to push it in by hand relatively easily.

The thing is activated as follows:
When you floor the throttle pedal, first the capstan winds up and opens the butterflies. At this point the inner cable of the throttle should be tight. Then you push a bit harder on the throttle pedal, and as the cable inner is tight, a force is being applied to the outer - effectively the inner is trying to squeeze the ends of the outer together.

Normally this is impossible, BUT the cunning design of the Jaguar V12 kickdown actually ALLOWS the ends of the outer to be squeezed together by allowing the outer to go into the tube against the spring. Clear so far?

Normally, to adjust the system, you loosen the two nuts that hold the cable/switch setup to the capstan frame and (effectively) move the outer AWAY from the capstan casting it is fixed to, thereby taking up the slack. The trouble is, in your pic, the adjustment looks completely used up.

So first try a little test: undo the two nuts which hold the thing to the capstan frame and pull the inner tight. Then clamp your Mole wrench on the inner and ask the GF to push the throttle to the floor. See if the switch/spring system then works and pops the microswitch. Remove carpet and any stuff below the pedal before trying this.

If this makes it work, then reinstall onto the capstan frame, getting the inner as tense as you can using the adjuster nut. Then try again and see if it trips when installed.

BAD NEWS if not. This means the inner has stretched and that is not adjustable, and you need a new or decent second hand, cable. bad news not because of the cost, but because of the total PIA that installing it might be!

Post back when you know what's what!
Good luck
Greg
Hi Greg

Brilliantly explained if I may say so!

I managed to get the picture first time round but I've just had a thought.

Although I can push the Silver bit in by using the 'Mole Wrenches' I have to push hard with both hands to compress the little Spring.

In other words the bit that is gripped in the 'Mole Wrench' is quite free, or at least appears to be free.

So could it be the little Spring is jammed and isn't able to Slide inside the Tube?

It certainly seems like that could be the problem, if you are supposed to be able to move the 'Bit in the mole grips' easily by hand.

Its soaking in engine oil as we speak and I will also try your idea and let you know what happens.

I will also have a look at my 'Scrapper' to try and get a feel for how it should work, so in any event I will have a Spare Cable.

I'm kicking myself for not looking there in the first place!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

OB
I should have said, when clamping the inner with the wrench against the end of outer and pressing the pedal, you will NOT have to press very much, as the only movement allowed will be the 1/4 inch against the spring.
Greg
Hi Greg

No probs, I guessed that much and I can press the pedal myself and also watch the spring at the same time.

But I want to give it more soaking in the mixture, as I am having to push on the 'Mole Grips' using both my hands as that little spring 'SEEMS' so strong but its probably just jammed.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JimC64
OB - It was I who had marked it RESOLVED, as I thought it had been at that point.

No problem, I have merged both your threads together and into the original posting, all posts remain in place and in order.

Here's hoping I can gewt back and add RESOLVED at some point soon.

Good luck
Hi Jim

No Probs Thanks!

If/when I managed to get this fixed, thanks to 'Gregs Fount of all knowledge'

You will be able to hear me Cheering from as far away as you are!

Old 09-10-2014, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

OB

The setup may be jamming a bit, even though you do not think it is. First now you have unjammed it, lube it with some engine oil and work it in and out a few times. You should be able to push it in by hand relatively easily.

The thing is activated as follows:
When you floor the throttle pedal, first the capstan winds up and opens the butterflies. At this point the inner cable of the throttle should be tight. Then you push a bit harder on the throttle pedal, and as the cable inner is tight, a force is being applied to the outer - effectively the inner is trying to squeeze the ends of the outer together.

Normally this is impossible, BUT the cunning design of the Jaguar V12 kickdown actually ALLOWS the ends of the outer to be squeezed together by allowing the outer to go into the tube against the spring. Clear so far?

Normally, to adjust the system, you loosen the two nuts that hold the cable/switch setup to the capstan frame and (effectively) move the outer AWAY from the capstan casting it is fixed to, thereby taking up the slack. The trouble is, in your pic, the adjustment looks completely used up.

So first try a little test: undo the two nuts which hold the thing to the capstan frame and pull the inner tight. Then clamp your Mole wrench on the inner and ask the GF to push the throttle to the floor. See if the switch/spring system then works and pops the microswitch. Remove carpet and any stuff below the pedal before trying this.

If this makes it work, then reinstall onto the capstan frame, getting the inner as tense as you can using the adjuster nut. Then try again and see if it trips when installed.

BAD NEWS if not. This means the inner has stretched and that is not adjustable, and you need a new or decent second hand, cable. bad news not because of the cost, but because of the total PIA that installing it might be!

Post back when you know what's what!
Good luck
Greg
Hi Greg

Just a quick update for everyone else before getting down to the Business.

The 'Kickdown' wouldn't Kick Down because the Cable that slides in the guide had got jammed up, as it hadn't been used for such a long time.

So I soaked all the parts in 50/50 Acetone & ATF @ 'Greg in France'

Then I put a 'Mole Wrench' on the end of the 'Ferule' and gently rocked it about a bit to try and free it off.

'It was trying to go but it didn't have quite enough tension'

Name:  Kickdown003_zps4eee2373.jpg
Views: 1964
Size:  123.2 KB

So following advice from Greg, I clamped the inner Cable to the Outer and gave it a few gentle 'dabs' on the 'pedal'

At which point the 'Kickdown Tripper' started to Free off!

Having got it 'On The Ropes' it was time to 'Up the Anti' so I jammed a Spanner in between the 'Holder and the Cable' to give it a bit more 'Tension'

Then soaking the whole assembly in Oil and pumping Grease into the Ferrule, I gave it a good work out on the Pedal.

In the following (2) Photos take note of the position of the Ferrule, which shows before and after flooring the Pedal.

Before opening Throttle with Spanner jammed in to give the inner Cable Extra Tension. (note Ferrule Position)

After opening Throttle with Spanner jammed in to give the inner Cable Extra Tension. (note Ferrule Position it's Working!)

So far so good!

Now lets take the Spanner away and see if it Still Works.

Throttle at Rest without the Spanner in place.

Full Throttle (position) Without the Spanner in Place.

The 'Kickdown Switch' is now 'Tripping Out' just like its supposed to!

This was just a 'Static Test' no time to take her out for a 'Test Drive'

So we will have to wait and see if it works Tomorrow.

The inner cable that Trips the 'Kickdown' appears to be at Full Stretch and so the Throttle Cable may need replacing, as there isn't any adjustment left with which I can tighten it up.

Also the actual Switch itself, has been chewed up by a Squirrel that got into the engine and so it may not work because of that.

Stay Tuned for an update, as there is only one way to find out!

JimC64 (09-10-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Default Chewed and Screwed by a Squirrel!

Hi Guys

The Kickdown Switch wasn't Tripping, because of a Stuck Ferrule in the tube that operates the Switch.

But having sorted that out last night, I was thinking that my problems were now over, though you know by now its never over in an XJS!

And so before the 'Test Drive' I decided to Test the actual Switch itself, as a Squirrel got into the Engine and had started Chewing it up!

So the first thing I did was to pull off the leads and check it with a Test Light, to see if it was getting any Power.

Let there be Light! it was!

But seeing as it was a job to Test the Switch in Situ, I decided to take it out, which only took a couple of minutes with a small socket wrench.

When I checked it with the Meter, it showed up as being faulty, with the readings all over the place. Between 2.0 & 4.70 that kept on recycling.

So I took the Switch off my 'Scrapper' and Tested that.

As it turned out it was Perfect!
and took just a couple of Minutes to put on.

Components of The Kickdown Switch

Having done that, it was all looking good! So now it was time for a Test Drive!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 09-11-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:10 AM
Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

I noticed I had no kickdown when I finally got my car out on the road yesterday, yes, the mechanism was jammed, it is cleaned and lubed now and it should work. The switch clicks but I have not tested it. Waiting for better weather to try it. Good post!

orangeblossom (11-08-2014)
Old 11-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dleit53
I noticed I had no kickdown when I finally got my car out on the road yesterday, yes, the mechanism was jammed, it is cleaned and lubed now and it should work. The switch clicks but I have not tested it. Waiting for better weather to try it. Good post!
Hi Dleit

While I'm glad the post may have been useful, it was all to do with a problem I had with the 'Kickdown'

'Greg in France' came to the rescue, so any credit for fixing it, is really down to him, as all I did was to go through the steps that he suggested to fault find the cause.

As a result of following the advice that he gave me, the 'Kickdown' now works fine, so in the event that it helps someone else, that can only be regarded as a bonus.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 11-08-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

As a spin off topic on this thread, I have experienced the A/T warning light come on on my dash after (inadvertently) putting the pedal to the metal. Sport mode was not engaged. But neither could I put it in sport mode when the A/T warning was on.
My speed was about 60 mph/100kmph, the kick down worked of course.
Pulled over as soon as I was able, and restarted, and the light was gone, and stayed off.
Any thoughts as to what is going on here ?

Gerry T.
1992 XJS 4L auto.