XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Advice needed on possible purchase of 91 xjs

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 07:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Advice needed on possible purchase of 91 xjs

Hi, this is my first post, I have owned Austin Healy’s and MG I. The past and am restoring a Midget ATM. I ran across a homeless XJS today.

it’s a 91 XJS convertible Rouge trim. It has wire wheels that from what I understand are not correct for the car, it should have red diamond aluminum.

it runs however there are brake problems and it has been sitting for 8 years (last inspection was 2016) the body seems sound with no apparent rust. The paint is ok and looks to be original, it needs cleaning cut and polish possible color sanding on parts as well. It needs a new top. The interior is ok with some tears at seems. Mileage is approx 98k.

I have a full shop minus lift as well as welders, lathe, press ext. I have access to a complete machine shop.

this car interest me. A friend had one in the mid 90s and I loved it. I am asking here because my experience is that the people who care enough about a car model to have a forum are the collective experts and are the one who can provide caution or assurance.

I know the car is for sale however I do not know an asking price. Assuming everything will need work in addition to the above I am trying to figure out a value range, budget and order of repairs.

any words of wisdom and advice are welcome. My gut feeling is the car is worth saving. I have no expectations of getting in it and driving it an hour after I get it home. I have a pretty complete understanding of what is involved in bringing something like this back to life. VIN is clear with no accident history.

Old 05-26-2023, 10:26 PM
Received 79 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by WFWILSON
Hi, this is my first post, I have owned Austin Healy’s and MG I. The past and am restoring a Midget ATM. I ran across a homeless XJS today.

it’s a 91 XJS convertible Rouge trim. It has wire wheels that from what I understand are not correct for the car, it should have red diamond aluminum.

it runs however there are brake problems and it has been sitting for 8 years (last inspection was 2016) the body seems sound with no apparent rust. The paint is ok and looks to be original, it needs cleaning cut and polish possible color sanding on parts as well. It needs a new top. The interior is ok with some tears at seems. Mileage is approx 98k.

I have a full shop minus lift as well as welders, lathe, press ext. I have access to a complete machine shop.

this car interest me. A friend had one in the mid 90s and I loved it. I am asking here because my experience is that the people who care enough about a car model to have a forum are the collective experts and are the one who can provide caution or assurance.

I know the car is for sale however I do not know an asking price. Assuming everything will need work in addition to the above I am trying to figure out a value range, budget and order of repairs.

any words of wisdom and advice are welcome. My gut feeling is the car is worth saving. I have no expectations of getting in it and driving it an hour after I get it home. I have a pretty complete understanding of what is involved in bringing something like this back to life. VIN is clear with no accident history.
honestly, it all depends on the price. Assuming you’re doing all the work yourself and not paying anyone it may be worth a go.

The following 2 users liked this post by WatchGuy:
Greg in France (05-27-2023), orangeblossom (05-27-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 10:59 PM
Received 10,517 Likes on 6,947 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

I agree with Watchguy.

That car to me would be a walk away unless the price was real sweet, and I hav ehad enough of these to know that what you see is like the Iceberg, MORE hidden than you think.
Especially the ABS mention, I shudder a tad.

If you go for it, you will need some additions to your "shop":

1) Sense of humour, the more warped the better
2) Beer fridge, fully stocked, the bigger the better.

We Aussies are a strange mob, but that works for us.

Please think long and hard, make some calls to suppliers (those that support this site are GOOD), and do the sums.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
leep123 (05-27-2023), orangeblossom (05-27-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 01:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,330 Likes on 5,475 Posts

I would look around for a decent running example. That will give you quite enough to do to get it perfect. This will also be far cheaper over 3 years!

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Grant Francis (05-27-2023), leep123 (05-27-2023), orangeblossom (05-27-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 02:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My walk away price is about 2k, I know that is on the very low side but I wasn’t looking for another car, this one just kinda found me. Plus I have the Midget that is about a month away from being done mechanically, I have new tops and interior waiting to go in it.

I also have my truck that has been an ongoing project for about 4 years. 97 dually crew cab 7.3 f350.

I am retired and have several hobbies that can get kinda pricy. I recently sold a boat I had restored and my MGBGT. So as fate would have it I have some funds to play with. My total budget plus purchase would be around 10 plus if I decided to go with this my midget would go to a new home.

before I decide anything I will have to get it up on a rack, do a complete inspection and do a lot more research.

I already have a stocked fridge in the shop. I do keep a few beers in it for friends but I have a rule that I do not drink and work on anything that can go more than 10 mph. About 30 years ago me and a buddy drank a few and did the front brakes on his car. Somehow the pads got put in backwards on one side. So my fridge is Stocked with Mt Dew for me.

inkeep telling my wife I’m thinking of buying another Motorcycle so she doesn’t really complain about a stray car here or there.

The following 3 users liked this post by WFWILSON:
Grant Francis (05-27-2023), leep123 (05-27-2023), Mguar (05-27-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

No apparent rust is a bonus. And being an experienced DIYer is a bonus, too, as these are great hobby cars. Tons of internet support from forums such as this.

I'm sure you know this already know this but I'll say it anyway: do take a second look at cosmetics. Paint, leather, top, wood, chrome...this is where the serious money is spent. If in doubt seek (and pay for!) a car with good cosmetics.

As a rule the mechanicals are the easier and less expensive aspect of resurrecting these cars.

Cheers
DD