XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Aerial wiring schematic

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 07:43 AM
Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Aerial wiring schematic

Does anyone have a simple diagram to show how to wire in an aftermarket power aerial?
Thanks, Chap

Old 11-24-2020, 03:33 PM
Received 159 Likes on 117 Posts

Do you mean a diagram for the antennae or for the car?
If you mean the antennae did you try the manufacturer?
For the car we would need to know which year.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:45 PM

It's a 1986 Coupe, 5.3.
When I got the car, the original antenna was gone, and a manual one was installed, but not connected to the antenna on the radio. (wrong connector) An aftermarket one was lying on the trunk floor. So I was never able to see how it should go together. Particularly the wire that sends the signal to the antenna, and the 12v power wire. The antenna I bought has instructions but the are generic. 3 wires, power, signal, and ground.

Old 11-25-2020, 05:33 AM
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Here is AUTA 6000 KE (Hirschmann) which I have in my XJS, no problem.
For rubber in wing:
Hirschmann AUTA 6000 KE-F Aerial Antenna Repair Kit from "car-masts-uk" : Car Masts UK

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AUTA_6000_KE_PIN_Belegung.pdf (72.5 KB, 293 views)
Old 11-25-2020, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,365 Likes on 5,489 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Chap1958 (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Chap1958
Does anyone have a simple diagram to show how to wire in an aftermarket power aerial?
Thanks, Chap
Typically, red to unswitched positive, black to ground, and signal to the signal wire from the radio. On aftermarket headunits, the signal wire is usually blue, blue/white, or blue/yellow. Some radios have two blue wires of some sort, one for the antenna and one for an external amp. In that case, the antenna wire only has a signal when the radio portion of the head unit is active. If that's the case, you'll have to look at the install instructions for your head unit.
The wiring on the XJS, at least on my 85 and 87 MY cars, is non-standard color coding, and is even different between the two model years. Factory wiring diagrams were basically useless when I changed headunits replacing non-functional factory units. You may have to trace the wires from the back of your head unit to the trunk with a test light or ohmmeter to find the signal wire.

Old 11-25-2020, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Thanks Greg!

Old 11-25-2020, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by jal1234
Typically, red to unswitched positive, black to ground, and signal to the signal wire from the radio. On aftermarket headunits, the signal wire is usually blue, blue/white, or blue/yellow. Some radios have two blue wires of some sort, one for the antenna and one for an external amp. In that case, the antenna wire only has a signal when the radio portion of the head unit is active. If that's the case, you'll have to look at the install instructions for your head unit.
The wiring on the XJS, at least on my 85 and 87 MY cars, is non-standard color coding, and is even different between the two model years. Factory wiring diagrams were basically useless when I changed headunits replacing non-functional factory units. You may have to trace the wires from the back of your head unit to the trunk with a test light or ohmmeter to find the signal wire.
I have to agree with factory wiring diagrams. I have a set of service manuals and that just am pretty overwhelmed at the electrical schematics. I would need some time to study them. Winters here now, so I have plenty of time thanks for the reply!

Old 11-26-2020, 09:18 AM

So I went to try to wire up my aftermarket antenna this morning. I read in Kirby's book about the wiring and it helped a good deal. The wires for the antenna are there with the green relay. Unable to test the relay I decided to leave it out and just wire it so radio on, antenna up, radio off antenna down. So after much fiddling and testing the power to the antenna motor is not working. There are 3 wires, Black for ground, brown/purple for the 12v, and white/pink for the signal from the radio. When I turn the radio on, I get 12v through the signal as I believe I should, but nothing through the main 12v power wire. Working the antenna on the bench (black = negative, red= positive, green = signal) when I connect the black to negative and red to positive the antenna retracts. When I touch the signal wire and the red wire the antenna extends, as it should when receiving the signal.
In the car, I need to search out the fuse that powers that brown/purple wire.
Also, in my usual fashion to figure things out, I managed to mess up the limit switches in the antenna itself by powering it up with the mast partially disassembled.
At least I am learning stuff!!

Old 11-26-2020, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like you are nearly there. The 12v feed has a line fuse in a holder, and this may be blown. If you poke about in that corner you should find it.

Chap1958 (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 11:59 AM

Thanks Greg. The inline fuse is fine. I since went to the main fuse panel and for my car the fuse is #3, 35A, and it is blown. I'll bet I did it inadvertently when I first got the car 6 months ago. I was fiddling with the antenna then to get the radio so I could listen to it. At that time the boot lights stopped working as well and they are on the same circuit. I hooked up the antenna and have had it in the up position since then. I'll get some fuses tomorrow and see if I can finish it up!

Old 11-27-2020, 02:13 PM

Todays progress (?). I got the fuse replaced, power is now going everywhere it needs to when it is supposed to. I picked another aftermarket antenna after screwing around trying to set the limit switches on the first one.......sigh. Got all the wires set and plugged in everything on the bench bypassing the relay for the time delayed retraction, and lo and behold it works great. Radio on, antenna goes up. Radio off, antenna goes down. Cool! Install the antenna into the car and connect everything up. Radio on, antenna goes up. Radio off antenna goes down. Turn it back on and try to tune in a station- nothing but static? Leave everything on and go back to the boot with the old antenna. Disconnect the co-axial cable and screw it into the antenna in my hand. It works fine, can tune in all the stations. Hook it back up to the installed antenna, nothing but noise. I decide to reinstall the relay, maybe there is something that would cause it not to work? Get that all wired back in, same thing. Except now I have the 10 second or so delay on retraction. Start unplugging the wires one at a time, power- no change, signal- no change. Unplug the ground- sounds great! Of course the antenna won't go up or down either with it disconnected. Tried running a dedicated ground as well, but still a lot of noise/static.
It would seem that something isn't grounded properly, but not sure where to look next. Time to break out the scotch!!

Old 11-28-2020, 02:42 PM

OK, I am seriously at my wits end. I was trying the old antenna in the boot, (not mounted, just lying there.) The radio stopped playing, and sure enough the radio had stopped working. I think great, now what. Grab the manual, and it says there is a 1 amp inline fuse for the radio behind the radio itself. So I get the radio out, made a special tool to unscrew the special nuts. There's no damn inline fuse back there!! I pull both cheek panels on the side of the console near the front. 1 inline fuse, it's fine. I pull the console off, there is another inline fuse, again, it's fine. I look at Kirby's book, and sure enough it says what my book said, but went on to say that the 2 amp inline fuse in the console is the one, but that one checks out as well.
I'm at a loss here and could use help. Is there a fuse in the radio itself?

Old 11-29-2020, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member

Check the main fuse box and check the input side of the fuse loom wires for 12v. Then report back.

Old 11-29-2020, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Check the main fuse box and check the input side of the fuse loom wires for 12v. Then report back.
I did check every fuse in the main box and all are good. In fact every fuse I have found anywhere is good. I'll check the input side for 12V. Thanks!

Old 11-29-2020, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Chap1958
I did check every fuse in the main box and all are good. In fact every fuse I have found anywhere is good. I'll check the input side for 12V. Thanks!
Pull the radio and check for power at the connector. One lead should have full time power, and another lead should have switched power. If you have appropriate power at both places, then you know it's a radio problem vs a power issue. If one source of power is missing, then you can trace that back to the source of the issue.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:09 AM

I checked the fuses for 12v, and all seems well there. Next was to pull the radio out completely to check power to the radio, it seems to have 12v on 2 wires inbound.

Brought the radio to the bench for a closer look and there was a fuse on the top. It is blown. I came in to go onliine to search for where I might find another, and google pulled up this thread from 2013- Terry was fiddling with his antenna......lol.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...io-dead-94859/

It appears I have found the problem, but where to source another fuse? The thread I posted above says he had a 10A fuse, but mine clearly says "7A". It's a short one, about .800" long.

Thanks so much to you both for jumping in to point me in different directions. I was losing my mind yesterday!

Last edited by Chap1958; 11-29-2020 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add picture
Greg in France (11-29-2020)