XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Air con repair/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts
Wink Air con repair/replacement

Hello, I have a 1996 4ltr Celebration coupe with 43k miles on the clock, its in great condition and pretty much the same as when I bought it about 7 years ago.

It had one problem, the A.C was leaking and not working. I tried for several years to repair it. I had the aluminium pipes repaired where there were leaks and even bought a service repair kit for Jaguar which lasted one summer and then it started leaking from the compressor again.

I looked at all the options of how to get him up and running again, ie second hand Sanden compressor, having it serviced ( £300 ) or a new one at £750 LOL's, was never going to happen.

Then I started to look on ebay, and being from an engineering background decided to take the plunge and back my skills at re engineering a new one with parts from my original one.

Let me explain, the Sanden SD7H15 has many different configurations, including number of feet, electrical connections, cylinder head pipe fittings and also front end pulley fitment.
I had been looking on the U.K ebay site for a long time and saw two for auction both around £80 + P+P ( shipping ). SO, I eventually bought one which was brand new ( abandoned project ) still in the box for £80.

When I got it home the cylinder head was changed over with my original, the electrical connector was cut, soldered and cleaned up, there was a foot missing at one of the bolt holes, so I cut one off the original, filed it up, glued with Gorilla glue and let it set, all good.

Then I struck a problem with the pulleys. I had difficulty removing the old and new shafts, they were tight. Then I discovered the original was a keyed shaft, the new one is a splined shaft. However by using a spring washer and lock nut the pulley fitted very well, I had to use the newer clutch mechanism also as the old one would not fit.

I tested the clutch by putting 12v across it and had to mass around with it contact wise ( electrically ) and nut tension wise as the gap had to be no more than 5 thou, got there in the end.

So a new receiver dryer was bought ( again ) and I booked him in for a re gas. Took about 35-40 minutes to charge, I stood and watched as they guy's have worked on the car before and I had a good relationship with them.

Tried and nothing, the mechanic said everything was in order and should work, but it didn't. He then moved the electrical connector and the clutch engaged ( it was my fear that it wouldn't ) and seconds later there was cold air coming from all the vents.....SUCCESS!

Paid the £40 for the re charge and £27 for the drier ( which I had bought from them a few weeks before )

Total cost £147.00 and I was very happy.

I run the A.C as often as possible so the same thing does not happen again, they must be kept well lubricated.

Just posted in case this was of any use to someone.

Hope this type of thing has not been posted before and I have wasted anyones time.

Cheers, ArtyH

Nice one Arty, thanks for sharing

Please use line breaks as large areas of block text make a really interesting post like this hard to read through.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Air con repair/replacement-sdc10288.jpg   Air con repair/replacement-sdc10297.jpg   Air con repair/replacement-sdc10299.jpg  

Last edited by JimC64; 10-02-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: PLEASE USE LINE BREAKS!!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Nice job Arty, glad you got it resolved.

Hopefully it'll help others too.

The following users liked this post:
ofis (01-15-2016)