XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

All I want for Christmas is another XJS ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017 | 06:54 AM
Veteran Member

On Facebook there is an XJ-S group where people always say how bad the V12 is and that it will ALWAYS drop a valve seat etc. and that these engines are so unreliable that some Yugos are more reliable and durable. And if you say it is all due to lack of maintance or that the cooling system hasn't been cared for etc., you get insulted and told that you have no idea and that the engine is a gigantic failure. I mean, not that Jaguar went through the hassle of not only road testing the engines but also racing them and then around the polar circle as well as in the hottest regions on this planet and the engines STILL worked well...

These engines have their little issues. Nothing other cars don't have. Cracking wores? Heck, the W124 E500 and W140 V12 needed entire woring looms for the engine bay when one or two cracked. Engine fires? Heck! The Canyonero advertises with thrm (Simpsons pun about SUVs).

The electrics being Lucas doesn't mean it is better or worse. They tried to introduce modern and new tech ologies, like the fibreoptics. Or a digital ignition system. But it is nothing you need to go to a Voodoo priest for.

If refularly maintaned and serviced, and give it a coolant flush every two years... Or use the correct factory spec 20W50 mineral oil and change it freuquently (every 5000 Miles or so) and thess huge lovely engines will just carry on.

But then, that is all my humble opinion. In my head, the V12 is more reliable than the later introduced V8s...

The following 4 users liked this post by Daim:
Andreas Schmieg (12-30-2017), Doug (12-30-2017), Grant Francis (12-30-2017), Greg in France (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017 | 08:59 AM
|

One thing I learned over four XJSes: A well-maintained XJS isn't cheap. And a cheap XJS isn't well maintained (often not maintained at all). So a rust-free XJS that barely runs will require quite some catchup $$$ on maintenance. And then it will put that grin on your face that only a V12 can. First gear wrooom 60mph, second gear wrooo ... oh crap, slow down.

The following 4 users liked this post by Andreas Schmieg:
Daim (12-30-2017), Doug (12-30-2017), Grant Francis (12-30-2017), Greg in France (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017 | 09:05 AM
|

BTW: Since the seller of the V8 XJS does not respond to my questions, I will put the money into my 1976 XJS V12. $6500 for parts and an electric magician should almost put it on the road again.

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017 | 09:21 AM

[QUOTE=Doug;1816760]Funny thing is, it doesn't have to be that way! All the weak spots and quirks...and the fixes....are well documented. But, still, running a V12 isn't for everybody. You have to be a DIYer, you have to love doing it. You have to get in the spirit of things....or you're sunk!

I agree Doug because the reality is there are not that many who either have the desire and or skill set to keep an old XJS on the road regardless if it is a 6 or 12.

I take it as a real compliment when someone is willing to invest their time and energy into keeping the XJS going when you consider where the value range has been for years on this model. Like anything if you take the time to get to know how it works and learn the updates etc. you can have a very enjoyable experience. I will admit I do not have the desire to deal with keeping the V12 XJS running as it should. I have the skill set but no longer the desire and to be honest I saw limited payoff having a thirsty V12 that was a challenge to access and did not give much if any benefit for the type of driving I usually do.

That being said I have learned from being a part of this forum that the V12 is a great engine and if one takes the time and puts forth the energy to keep it in proper working order it can provide a wonderful ownership experience. If I were to get a V12 XJS I would take the time on the front side to get everything up to snuff.

Another thing I have learned from owning a XJS with years now of driving it is the XJS is not a sports car but a Grand Tourer. The XJS was not designed to be super fast off the line or be light and agile but rather provide a Grand Touring experience. When I wanted more of a sports car like experience I considered making some changes to one of my XJS' but I came to the realization that is not what the XJS was about and ended up adding a 6 speed Corvette to the mix so when I want to drive a car that feels and acts like a sports car I have one that was designed to be that.

There is something special about the XJS both in it's presence and in the way it makes the occupants feel when sitting in and driving it. Out of all the cars I own and enjoy the XJS is my favorite. It is not the fastest of newest but what a special car it is-my Grand Tourer.

The following 4 users liked this post by LuvmyXJS':
Daim (12-30-2017), Doug (12-30-2017), Grant Francis (12-30-2017), Greg in France (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017 | 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim

The electrics being Lucas doesn't mean it is better or worse. They tried to introduce modern and new tech ologies, like the fibreoptics. Or a digital ignition system. But it is nothing you need to go to a Voodoo priest for.

And here again the problems and fixes are known and documented.

If you're willing to spend the time cleaning grounds and connectors you've solved 80% of the Lucas problems right there. No special skill needed at all. All that's needed is willingness to do it.

The S57 wiring diagrams are excellent. Relays and switches are readily available; some of them generic; some can be DIY repaired. Marelli issues and fixes known and documented. Lucas CEI failure points and fixes known and documented.

In the world of hobby cars, XJS owners actually have it as good or better than anyone else.

I'm preaching to the choir....

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Daim (12-30-2017), Grant Francis (12-30-2017)
Old 12-30-2017 | 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LuvmyXJS'

There is something special about the XJS both in it's presence and in the way it makes the occupants feel when sitting in and driving it.

You've hit the nail on the head!

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 12-30-2017 at 01:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Grant Francis (12-30-2017), ronbros (01-07-2018)
Old 12-30-2017 | 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

People just expect to get in the car, drive it and put fuel down the filler and done. British cars aren't like that.

They can't be treated like women. Cars need love!

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
Andreas Schmieg (12-30-2017), ronbros (01-07-2018)
Old 12-30-2017 | 01:22 PM
|

Originally Posted by Daim
People just expect to get in the car, drive it and put fuel down the filler and done. British cars aren't like that.
I am married to one of those people. :-) Tire flat? Andy's problem. Overheating? Andy's problem. Maintenance? Andy's problem.