XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Alternator re location

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:13 AM
Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Alternator re location

Colleagues
Next year at same stage I will replacing my 5.3 v12 with a rebuilt 5.3 I have sitting in the shed waiting to be built. One thing that will be scrapped from this motor is the air pump, its not needed and in a car my age prior to 86 is not required. This is simply to tidy up that engine bay that is one of the most awful sites on the earth!
I have read articles of putting a Chev alternator in place of the air pump where all the brackets fit.
my question as I have two fully working motors can I use my original alternator instead of the chev one? Will the brackets and tightener's work with it?
One other thing is there an AC pump that I can use instead of that old huge GM lump that sits in the middle of the valley now, the quest is to to tidy up the mess that lies underneath the bonnet.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Alternator: I don't know

AC Compressor: I think Sanden makes a modern, more compact replacement for the old A6 compressor. Naturally you'll need new hoses and you might have to fabricate some new brackets...as I doubt any vendor has on-the-shelf hardware for the conversion on a Jag V12.

Also, you can buy a modern, aluminum replacement for the A6. Lighter, supposedly more efficient, direct fit...but it won't be any smaller.

Cheers
DD

Old 12-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Received 297 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Katoh
One other thing is there an AC pump that I can use instead of that old huge GM lump that sits in the middle of the valley now, the quest is to to tidy up the mess that lies underneath the bonnet.
I can't help you with relocating the stock alternator, because I put a 180 amp GM unit where the air pump used to be. However, I did replace the stock A/C compressor with a smaller Sanden unit, and I put it where the original alternator used to be.

You can see the arrangement in this photo
(CLICK PHOTOS TO MAKE THEM MUCH LARGER)
Alternator re location-jagzillas-new-motor-hook.jpg

And the effect it has on engine bay appearance in this photo
Alternator re location-jagzilla-motor-12-13-2013.jpg

I had to fab up a bracket in order to put them both where they are. I have not yet fired up the motor, nor plumbed & wired the compressor. I may find that I need to add an idler pulley in order to increase the belt contact area on the compressor pulley.

The following 4 users liked this post by JagZilla:
Jsquared (02-20-2024), KingRodd (02-12-2019), Rfurzer (04-16-2020), rgp (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013, 11:51 PM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, Scott I do like were you have put the AC pump, makes for a very neat valley indeed and easy to work on.
As far as the AC pump goes what model did you use? sandan make a few different sorts.
Ill have to see how the original alternator is bracketed up, just seems like a waste when you have two fully functioning one's not to use them first.
A little of topic what ignition system do you have running? the big toothed cog in the first pic gives it away.

Last edited by Katoh; 12-20-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 12-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts

JagZilla,

I'm very interested in your new air compressor arrangement. Do you have any more photos of how you mounted it?

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
63,000 miles

Old 12-20-2013, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, Scott I do like were you have put the AC pump, makes for a very neat valley indeed and easy to work on.
As far as the AC pump goes what model did you use? sandan make a few different sorts.
Ill have to see how the original alternator is bracketed up, just seems like a waste when you have two fully functioning one's not to use them first.
A little of topic what ignition system do you have running? the big toothed cog in the first pic gives it away.
The compressor is a Sanden SE5 which takes R-134 refrigerant, and has a V-belt pulley (most of the SE5s I found have the serpentine pulleys). I bought it new on ebay a few years ago for this installation. Sorry, I didn't think to shoot photos of the mount when I made it, but, it's just a simple arrangement made out of angle iron. It bolts to the front and side of the engine block for a secure anchor. It has one mount on top for the alternator (a pivot point so that the alternator acts as the tensioner for that belt), and two mounts on the lower portion for the A/C compressor. The mount runs back along the side of the engine block, the full length of the compressor, in order to provide solid mounting points at the front and back of the compressor. The compressor simply slips in between those mounting points, and is held in place by long bolts running front to back, with locking nuts at the end.

The trigger wheel is part of my Electromotive TEC-1 engine management system (controls fuel and ignition). If you take a second look at the engine bay photo, you will also notice the 2 coil packs stacked atop each other, where the distributor used to be, in the Vee (the top coil pack is inverted, so that the aluminum base is what you notice). I have a buddy who is going to make a custom panel which will cover that coil pack base, and visually tie it in with the rest of the motor. Also, if you look directly behind the throttle pedestal, you will notice an odd-shaped aluminum block. It houses the Electromotive fast idle valve body.

The link BigD posted is definitely worth a look. That car belongs to Ian Hissey. I've corresponded with him in the past, and I've admired his XJS work for many years.

Last edited by JagZilla; 12-20-2013 at 08:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JagZilla:
Katoh (12-20-2013), KingRodd (02-12-2019)
Old 12-20-2013, 12:40 PM

Yes I've looked at the link thanks. Two ideas I've always wanted to do were put the A/C where yours is now located, mount a bigger alternator (mine has Bosch 75), probably install the new style starter, and repaint the engine compartment (guess that's actually 4 ideas).

If I can just figure out how to get the V12 lifted out (separate post) I'll be able to move forward...

Thanks!

John
1987 XJ-S V12
63,000 miles

Old 12-20-2013, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

You could look at using an AC compressor off a 6.0L these use the smaller Ford compressor and different mount.

Originally Posted by JagZilla
I had to fab up a bracket in order to put them both where they are. I have not yet fired up the motor, nor plumbed & wired the compressor. I may find that I need to add an idler pulley in order to increase the belt contact area on the compressor pulley.
I like the setup better. I do think you will need an idler between the compressor and alternator. I think I will plagiarizer this for my new setup.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

Colleagues
. One thing that will be scrapped from this motor is the air pump, its not needed and in a car my age prior to 86 is not required.
My 89 Aus delivered has no Air pump. I didn't know the air pump came to Aus... My car has an idler pulley there.

The Sanden 508 would be one I would use. Here is a good article by Vintage Air. It's interesting because I had my AC re-gassed a couple of weeks ago and the head pressure was a little on the high side. I still have the stock hardware, A6 compressor, tx valve and condenser.

Vintage Air - Basics of Air Condiotioning YOUR Street Rod

While you have everything out I would ditch the XJS condenser and install a parallel flow, I think one from a Commodore will fit with some mods to the oil cooler and mounts.

The following users liked this post:
Katoh (12-20-2013)
Old 12-20-2013, 06:17 PM

For the sake of appearance alone I agree, getting the compressor off the top of the engine is the way to go. Very very neat appearance.

Fortunately or not, depending on your point of view, where I live we have no vehicle inspection program...air pump is long gone. So a bigger alternator will go where the air pump use to be, compressor where the alternator use to be.

My wife is right...I'll never be done with this car :-)

Thanks,

John

Old 12-20-2013, 07:25 PM

My 89 Aus delivered has no Air pump. I didn't know the air pump came to Aus... My car has an idler pulley there.
Funny but both my 83 motors have air pump's but no cats? Go figure!

The link BigD posted is definitely worth a look. That car belongs to Ian Hissey. I've corresponded with him in the past, and I've admired his XJS work for many years.
I have looked at his site a few times plus countless others, just have to remember who's done what and how. Still some great information. Love the power pack units on top, very neat indeed, I'm looking at doing the same sort of thing but using a Haltech which you can buy for under 1k.

Fortunately or not, depending on your point of view, where I live we have no vehicle inspection program...air pump is long gone. So a bigger alternator will go where the air pump use to be, compressor where the alternator use to be.

My wife is right...I'll never be done with this car :-)
We have no inspections either where I am, the only sticking point maybe will be that the car is on classic plates and modifications are sometimes scrutinised. I don't see to much of a problem its not like I'm putting in a SBC or something stupid like that. My project will happen how fast I'm not sure but will get there.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

We have no inspections either where I am, the only sticking point maybe will be that the car is on classic plates and modifications are sometimes scrutinised. I don't see to much of a problem its not like I'm putting in a SBC or something stupid like that. My project will happen how fast I'm not sure but will get there.
Being in Sydney we have yearly inspections. So I had my car blue slipped (for an unregistered car) completely stock, except for exhaust. They picked me up for ground clearance 98mm should be 100mm. Anyway now I will modify under the covers so it looks stock.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
They picked me up for ground clearance 98mm should be 100mm.

Blow some more air in the tires

Cheers
DD

Old 12-20-2013, 08:19 PM

One of the greatest days in Canberra is when they disposed of the compulsory over the pitts inspections every year, now they do a random type checks on the road every blue moon or so. with the classic plates I just take a form in from the club registrar with the club membership to get rego again. $90 a year opposed to $950 is a huge saving for something only driven every fortnight if lucky. Even comprehensive insurance only cost's me $120 for the year, because of the classic plates, go figure?

How the heck can they determine 2mm what a crock!

Old 12-21-2013, 03:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,244 Likes on 5,430 Posts

Jagzilla
Great looking installation. I am interested in how will you route the aircon pipes to the firewall from that location? Also, does anyone have any experience with using a parallel flow condenser?

Greg

Old 12-22-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Jagzilla
Great looking installation. I am interested in how will you route the aircon pipes to the firewall from that location?
Thanks Greg. I've always hated the way the A/C hose runs along the top of the motor, further cluttering up what has the potential to be a stunning looking motor. I want to keep the hoses out of sight as much as possible. I plan to have a hose/line made up which will run as a hard line, along the firewall to the right side of the car, where it will dive downward then turn forward. At that point, the rubber portion of the hose will run along the side of the engine block (inside a heat resistant sleeve), to the compressor. Running the other hose to the condenser connection from there will be easy. There is actually a huge gap between the exhaust manifold/downpipes and the engine block, so there will be more than enough room for this hose.

Old 02-12-2019, 10:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Scott,
I truly do want to thank you for your post. I finally got to see what the A/C Mod and the Altenator relocation looks like. I to am a fan of Ian Hissey's work. Yours looks just as impressive. And since you're a little closer to me than Ian (I'm in Texas) , I could really use a little guidence to finish my Jag. I'm not sure of the rules on sharing contact info but I'd like to give you mine and then egt your advice, if you have time. Either way thanks for your post.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Hi Jag Zilla

What Cooling Fan set up are you running?

That engine bay looks Amazing!

Old 02-14-2019, 03:07 AM
Received 264 Likes on 178 Posts

Fen-air in UK has an upgrade kit for the V12 A/C: LINK

Quick Reply: Alternator re location