XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Alternator re location

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 07:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Scott,
I truly could use your HELP!! I'm trying to find the A/C Compressor from Sanden the model number you listed is incomplete (SE5) according to their (Sanden) website. When I go to their Webpage (http://www.sanden.com/ ) and input my Jag's info it comes back with Model # 4860 (Sanden USA ).
Also PLEASE, PLEASE tell me EXACTLY what you did to get your GREAT looking Jag to running distributorless and the Awesome fuel rail injection. Your Trigger wheel looks like it's the full 720 degrees (72 teeth - 2 or 36-1 twice on one wheel) . And if that be the case what's the firing order? Does it just use the order of one bank and repeat?
I don't know the protocal for making contact but I can be e-mailed info at rawroadservice@gmail.com.
ALSO How much would you charge for the mounting bracket?

Old 04-16-2020, 02:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you end up having to add another idler pulley?

Old 04-18-2020, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Katoh
Colleagues
Next year at same stage I will replacing my 5.3 v12 with a rebuilt 5.3 I have sitting in the shed waiting to be built. One thing that will be scrapped from this motor is the air pump, its not needed and in a car my age prior to 86 is not required. This is simply to tidy up that engine bay that is one of the most awful sites on the earth!
I have read articles of putting a Chev alternator in place of the air pump where all the brackets fit.
my question as I have two fully working motors can I use my original alternator instead of the chev one? Will the brackets and tightener's work with it?
One other thing is there an AC pump that I can use instead of that old huge GM lump that sits in the middle of the valley now, the quest is to to tidy up the mess that lies underneath the bonnet.
How are your fabrication skills? A wonderful way to lighten the car make the engine much more Awesome, attractive , efficient, and run cooler is get rid of all those obsolete accessories. Remove the A/C from the V of the valley, mount it where the Air pump lived. Dump that big bulky alternator there are dozens of smaller more efficient replacements and even the power steering pump can be replaced. I use pumps from Summit, Jegs, and Speedway. With remote tanks.

doing that will cool the air flowing through the engine compartment and eliminate the need for the air condition cooled fuel lines. You can even get rid of the V. Belts and go to modern rib belts.
That exposes the beauty of the V12. And probably drops 100 pounds off the front end.
its’s been too long since I did it to give you part numbers because in the mean time lighter, smaller, replacements are out there.

if you really want to make a statement remove the fins off the valve covers and polish them. The classic elegant look can be breathtaking. Now that the engine is so cleaned up and opened you might even be tempted to polish everything.
let me caution you. That’s hard dirty work. Maybe just clean the block and paint it silver.