XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Alternator Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,321 Likes on 5,471 Posts

Originally Posted by Dymaxxion
Update: Got the alternator off and the pulleys removed. Unfortunately the Lucas pulley is smaller than the Bosch unit, I've heard different things about wether or not they are interchangeable, so maybe at some point during the production run the shaft diameter of the Lucas alt was changed to 17mm? I guess I'm gonna throw the old pulley on the drill press tomorrow and hopefully get it to fit. Will report back with results. Wish me luck, because at this point I could really use some.
Ask the alternator shop if they have a pulley to fit? Drilling the pulley rather than machining it accurately is likely to get it running eccentrically.
Greg

The following users liked this post:
Dymaxxion (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 05:38 AM
Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Ask the alternator shop if they have a pulley to fit? Drilling the pulley rather than machining it accurately is likely to get it running eccentrically.
Greg
Would you be able to elaborate on that?

Old 10-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Alternator Upgrade Help

Originally Posted by Dymaxxion
Would you be able to elaborate on that?
I believe he means if you put it on a drill press to drill it out and the hole is drilled off center, even a little bit, then the pulley won't spin correctly. Especially at higher RPMs this could be an issue. I would tend to agree, it would be best done on a lathe where you could grab the outside of the pulley and be sure it was drilled in the center.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:23 AM

*sigh* guess I'm off to the alternator shop then. Thanks for not letting me screw up guys. If they have the right pulley I'll see If I can get a part number too or something so that others don't have trouble with this in the future.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:08 AM

Update for anyone curious: Took both my old and new alternators to a shop called Auto Electric International up in Southfield Michigan. They found a match for my pulley, and corrected the spacing using purpose made spacers for free. Can't expect them to do it twice, but they seem like a very honest shop if anyone in the Michigan area needs alternator or starter work. Drilled out the larger of the two spade connectors, the smaller one I was able to coerce on. The easiest way to get the new alt in was to attach the bracket outside the car and bolt the bracket in from the bottom first. Found the Thru bolt at Home Depot. Added the redundant ground to one of the upper bracket bolts. I had to adjust the tensioner as well, which was pretty far from a fun job. Well worth doing in the end though. My car used to stumble a bit when starting, I took some friends out in it the other night and one of them even said "whoa" after he heard it start on a dime. I probably need to take the battery to AutoZone to get a full charge or something now, but everything is working a hell of a lot better. The whole only charging at High RPMs is pretty irritating, but I'll probably try and figure out the resistor this winter when I'm home. One last thing, if your existing alternator has a 16mm shaft be sure to get a Bosh unit with an included fan. It does seem like the Land rover unit would be a lot less effort if it's just the pulley that needs replacing. Just food for thought.