XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Am I Parking Mad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Banned
Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by sklimii
you're not the only one paranoid about where to park - I will park at the farthest end of the lot where no one else is parked and take up 2 spaces. Have had a few folks yell at me but it's not like they had any intention of parking that far away.

Taking up 2 car spaces is asking for trouble even if you are far away, good way to get keyed from front to rear. There is always someone to drive by in a bad mood. JMHO.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-09-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reminds me of a story.
My father in-law had a brand new V12 XJ-S way back when, (he say's) in a two tone bronze/brown colour with a body kit. well, long story short, he cam back to it aftet shopping in the local super market to find a huge key scratch on the bonnet (hood) - the kind that won't polish out.. A passer by said he saw the man who did it and pointed him out in the store.. father-in-law (very angry) stopped dead in his tracks when he saw it was a 70-yr old man who was just p**ed off that he didn't have one, so he key'd it.

Of course the bonnet (hood) was repainted, but apparently was never the same.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah...sounds about right...exactly what I was saying!
"I aint got it, so why should you have it"....what a moron!!!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,847 Likes on 2,664 Posts

Hi Mark J

I'm not too fussed about the Merc but not so with the XJS as Parking in between Junkers is asking for trouble.

So its 'horses for courses' on which car I want to take out.

Would love to see a photo of your Mercury if you want to put one up?

Old 02-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Doowapfix

You have got my Vote! There are lots of jealous idiots, who want what we have got and it didn't come easy for me, I worked for it.

As for your fabulous XJS its too nice for a garage I would keep it in my lounge or sleep with it!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Macdoesit

Even the thought of being keyed really brings me out in a sweat but unfortunately it can happen, so if I can possibly help it I never leave the car.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mefoote
Reminds me of a story.
My father in-law had a brand new V12 XJ-S way back when, (he say's) in a two tone bronze/brown colour with a body kit. well, long story short, he cam back to it aftet shopping in the local super market to find a huge key scratch on the bonnet (hood) - the kind that won't polish out.. A passer by said he saw the man who did it and pointed him out in the store.. father-in-law (very angry) stopped dead in his tracks when he saw it was a 70-yr old man who was just p**ed off that he didn't have one, so he key'd it.

Of course the bonnet (hood) was repainted, but apparently was never the same.
I think I would hope that idiot never made it to 71!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom

All Supermarkets should provide an area for nice cars to park with double spaces like they have for Parents with children and the disabled.
Well don't Jaguar owners in this thread qualify? Is OCD'nish not a recognised cognitive disability? How about "that's my baby!"

Old 02-28-2013, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Well don't Jaguar owners in this thread qualify? Is OCD'nish not a recognised cognitive disability? How about "that's my baby!"
Not the first time that I've parked in a Parent and Child Space and certainly not the first time I've had a telling off for doing so (the merc not the XJS)

But I had the perfect ripost to that which was if the Manager stopped yobs playing football in the Car Park, then I would endeavor to Park my car in one of the semi deserted spaces right down at that end.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Not the first time that I've parked in a Parent and Child Space and certainly not the first time I've had a telling off for doing so (the merc not the XJS)

But I had the perfect ripost to that which was if the Manager stopped yobs playing football in the Car Park, then I would endeavor to Park my car in one of the semi deserted spaces right down at that end.
Why do they even need "Parent and Child" spaces? If they are going to do that, then they should have "Parent and Child" sections of the store so we can shop in peace.

oh well ...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...mbarton-90860/

Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Hi Mark J

I'm not too fussed about the Merc but not so with the XJS as Parking in between Junkers is asking for trouble.

So its 'horses for courses' on which car I want to take out.

Would love to see a photo of your Mercury if you want to put one up?
I think you mean MERCedes, not Mercury.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

To day a young schoolboy deliberately threw something at my Car and actually hit it!

Thank God it wasn't the XJS but my Merc.

I was standing by it at the time loading my shopping into the boot when he rode up on his bike and threw something at it which bounced off the bonnet.

I could have easily caught him because the car park was fenced on three sides.

But I decided not to, because if I had got hold of him I would have thumped him for sure.

Because of his age he was untouchable and this cocky little **** seemed well aware of that and also knew that I would have been in the wrong.

So in similar circumstances, what would you guys have done?

I think I should also add that when a little **** like this does something like that, it can easily escalate it into some sort of a game, which is one of the problems that you can get when you drive an unusual car.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,088 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Catch him and stick bicycle up his ****; that'll learn him for sure.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
Catch him and stick bicycle up his ****; that'll learn him for sure.
Steve, You will never know how tempted I was, but when you have a distinctive car that stands out from the normal 'Jelly Moulds' you can become a target for reprisals.

That was the main reason, why I let him walk it was too close to home and if you lay a hand on him, then everything is on his side.

You can only blame the parents for bringing up these horrible little oiks, that now have now respect for other people.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

This is one advantage of not having a concours car. You tend to use them more and not worry too much about parking.
Problem in the UK is that over the years, parking spaces have got more and more narrow, but the XJS remains the same - wide, taking up the whole bay and leaving other legally parked cars a problem if they need to open their door to it's widest position.
Don't get too upset if someone parks close to you. I did once and this is what happened.
In the early nineties my company car was stolen and whilst I was awaiting the usual derisory payout I decided to use my old classic Lamborghini Urraco for work.
I needed some groceries so popped out to my local Tesco's at 3.0pm knowing it would not be busy at that time. The car park was pretty empty but a middle aged gent in a Ford followed wherever I went. I parked up furthest away from the store and he followed and parked next to me leaving about 300 empty spaces between us and the store.
He then wandered across and pronounced
"73 Urraco the best handling and best sounding production car I ever tested whilst I was chief road tester for Autocar magazine" in the 1970's. He said that after the road test he had never seen one on the road and thought he was dreaming whilst following me into Tesco's.
He reckoned it was even the same colour combination of red with black leather.
It's a very small world and a smack in the mouth didn't really seem appropriate at the time .

Attached Thumbnails Am I Parking Mad?-ppl55.jpg  
Attached Images   
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richkaz
This is one advantage of not having a concours car. You tend to use them more and not worry too much about parking.
Problem in the UK is that over the years, parking spaces have got more and more narrow, but the XJS remains the same - wide, taking up the whole bay and leaving other legally parked cars a problem if they need to open their door to it's widest position.
Don't get too upset if someone parks close to you. I did once and this is what happened.
In the early nineties my company car was stolen and whilst I was awaiting the usual derisory payout I decided to use my old classic Lamborghini Urraco for work.
I needed some groceries so popped out to my local Tesco's at 3.0pm knowing it would not be busy at that time. The car park was pretty empty but a middle aged gent in a Ford followed wherever I went. I parked up furthest away from the store and he followed and parked next to me leaving about 300 empty spaces between us and the store.
He then wandered across and pronounced
"73 Urraco the best handling and best sounding production car I ever tested whilst I was chief road tester for Autocar magazine" in the 1970's. He said that after the road test he had never seen one on the road and thought he was dreaming whilst following me into Tesco's.
He reckoned it was even the same colour combination of red with black leather.
It's a very small world and a smack in the mouth didn't really seem appropriate at the time .

A Smack in the mouth!

Surely not, I would have asked for his Autograph.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're not alone. I currently drive a gorgeous Imperial Blue Metallic convertible Camaro. Gorgeous car, aftermarket grilles, blah blah blah. Thing is, I'm 6'4" and I have to swing those large doors wide open to get in and out. I don't want to ding anyone's doors or get my car dinged. Before the Camaro (lovingly referred to as "The Mullet") I had a 2006 Porsche Boxster. Same color. I would park in the back of lots and so forth. Was detailing one weekend and noticed scratches on the front fender leading all way down into the headlamp. Two guys walked out of the auto parts store and keyed it.

Then a few weeks later the president of the local Porsche club put a ding in the door with his Cayman! ARGH!

Yes, I agree that cars need to be driven--but I also believe that they are works of art that need to be babied. I love cars--all types, I don't discriminate!

Old 03-09-2013, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pastagreyhound
You're not alone. I currently drive a gorgeous Imperial Blue Metallic convertible Camaro. Gorgeous car, aftermarket grilles, blah blah blah. Thing is, I'm 6'4" and I have to swing those large doors wide open to get in and out. I don't want to ding anyone's doors or get my car dinged. Before the Camaro (lovingly referred to as "The Mullet") I had a 2006 Porsche Boxster. Same color. I would park in the back of lots and so forth. Was detailing one weekend and noticed scratches on the front fender leading all way down into the headlamp. Two guys walked out of the auto parts store and keyed it.

Then a few weeks later the president of the local Porsche club put a ding in the door with his Cayman! ARGH!

Yes, I agree that cars need to be driven--but I also believe that they are works of art that need to be babied. I love cars--all types, I don't discriminate!
Yeah!

That's the way I look at it too, these old classic cars are works of art, so it makes perfect sense to me to try and look after it.

It's not as if you can go out and buy yourself a new one every couple of years or so.

You wouldn't leave a Rembrandt in the rain!

While maybe not worth 'quite as much' a thing of beauty is a joy forever, so while I do enjoy driving my car, I don't think that I would be daft enough to park it next to a 'junker' and then walk away and keep my fingers crossed.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, when I finally get my hands on this pristine '91 XJS (God willing the old woman makes up her freaking mind), I have a dilemma: which car to park in the garage! I'm leaning toward my Camaro simply because it's a convertible and I prefer it to be inside. I know the wife is not giving up her space--we just bought her a 2013 Toyota Tacoma double cab.

Fair is fair, I reckon.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,088 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Sell the Tacoma! And the wife!
In a previous house I had to put up with having the garage converted into a kitchen! Sacrilige.
Had to leave the Lister and the MGC Roadster out in the road.

Quick Reply: Am I Parking Mad?