XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Another "cranks no start" thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 10:20 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by DWSchwefel
I pulled the plug on the resistor pack. Ignition switch in the run position. I do not have any voltage on the pink wires. I have 9 volts on two the orange wires and 12 volts on two of the other remaining wires.

Do I have an ignition amplifier on this car? Should I be verifying that the small thin white wire is transmitting a signal, that it has continuity to pin 24 on the plug on the ECU located at the A pillar? (I do have continuity from pin 24 to pin 18 in the boot, at the injection module.

I've cleaned up the ground points on the car, all looked good nothing unusual.

Suggestions?

DaveS
The two relays in the boot, the Main Relay and Pump Relay.......
Were they replaced with the proper Jaguar parts, or standard relays?? Those are both NON-STANDARD relays. When energized they should connect pin 30 to BOTH pins 87 and 87a at the same time.

Be sure to confirm that.

Cheers,

Old 03-17-2014, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,920 Likes on 7,174 Posts

I pulled the plug on the resistor pack. Ignition switch in the run position. I do not have any voltage on the pink wires.

Do you mean you don't have 12v "+" supply voltage? You wouldn't, as those are on the ECU-side. The ECU takes them to "ground" to fire the injectors

You should, though, have 12v "+" key-on voltage on the pink/black wires at the injectors themselves.

I have 9 volts on two the orange wires and 12 volts on two of the other remaining wires.

I'm not sure off hand what accounts for the different readings but here you are reading voltage after is has gone thru the injectors

Do I have an ignition amplifier on this car?

Since you have Marelli ignition, no, you don't have an amplifier like the Lucas cars did

Should I be verifying that the small thin white wire is transmitting a signal, that it has continuity to pin 24 on the plug on the ECU located at the A pillar?

To clarify, the ECU in the RH A-pillar is the Marelli ECU.

The ECU in the trunk is the for the fuel injection

When cranking (or running) pin 18 of the fuel injection ECU should be getting a "trigger" signal (12v as far as I know) from the white wire that comes from pin 24 of the Marelli ECU.

(I do have continuity from pin 24 to pin 18 in the boot, at the injection module.

Good!

Suggestions?

I'll do some mulling. Hopefully others will chime in.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-17-2014, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

I imagine that the 4.16 m Ohms reading to ground is not good. That this is an indicator that there is a short?

DaveS

As I interpret things that's a problem, yes. You should be getting an "OL" reading....infinite resistance; no continuity.

That should be a shielded wire...sorta like a coax cable in apperance. Is the shielding making contact with the white wire?

Cheers
DD

Old 03-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltages

I pulled the plug from one injector and found that I have 12 volts on both pins. I will check all the injector plugs tomorrow, will report.

I do have the proper relay on the red "relay holder" I do have an improper relay on the other relay holder (it switches between 87a and 87) I do not, however, have any terminal in the 87a slot. (the 87 slot has two brown w/white wires......one for the fuel pump and not sure right now where it goes, right now) It all matches the wiring diagram that Doug sent to me.

The fuel pump starts for 4 seconds and stops, if I don't crank. I have easily over 30 psi at the pump.

I measured the voltage, at the resistor pack, from the plug, that was removed. I don't know why I had two orange wires that gave me less than battery voltage.

I talked to a radio communication guy......he said that the 4.16 M Ohms, on the wire from pin 24 to pin 18, was extremely negligible. I will however spend more time on this to verify that there is not contact with the shield.

I tested the TDC sensor and the flywheel sensor, I have 692 and 708 ohms, respectively. I have .030 clearance between the sensor and the ring gear. I have .030, .045, and .047 clearance on the "fingers" on the harmonic balancer. (I was told that the .045 and the .047 clearance may be excessive)(thereby not giving a proper signal to the Lucas?)

I verified that I have good spark from both coils, I cranked for eight seconds....both coil leads gave good spark for the entire eight seconds.

I have 3 to 4 ohms of resistance on the water temp sensor.

I hope I covered all the questions/statements.

I will re-verify the resistor pack readings.

Thank you all for the help so far.

DaveS

Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Default 16 Lucas ECU

Does anyone have a good working Lucas module? I may be needing one of these, should start looking now.

Thanks again.

DaveS

Old 03-18-2014, 11:01 PM
Veteran Member

I pulled the plug from one injector and found that I have 12 volts on both pins. I will check all the injector plugs tomorrow, will report.

My earlier remarks were confusing.

It's normal to have 12v + on boths sides of the injector, key-on, engine off.

With the engine cranking (or running) the ECU side of the wires gets switched to ground

I talked to a radio communication guy......he said that the 4.16 M Ohms, on the wire from pin 24 to pin 18, was extremely negligible. I will however spend more time on this to verify that there is not contact with the shield.

My mistake again. Earlier you posted 4.16 m ohms. I interpreted that as 4.16 Megohms (capital M) but I think you meant what you typed: milliohms (small m). I wouldn't worry about 4.16 millohms either.

Although you just now posted M (mega) ohms. :-)

I tested the TDC sensor and the flywheel sensor, I have 692 and 708 ohms, respectively. I have .030 clearance between the sensor and the ring gear. I have .030, .045, and .047 clearance on the "fingers" on the harmonic balancer. (I was told that the .045 and the .047 clearance may be excessive)(thereby not giving a proper signal to the Lucas?)

I'm no help on the crank sensor specs

I have 3 to 4 ohms of resistance on the water temp sensor.
Ohms, or Kilohms?

Measured across the pins, right? At what coolant temp? Since the engine isn't running/won't start I would expect less than 100ºF

The spec is:

Coolant temp Resistance (kilohms)

32ºF 5.9
68 2.5
105 1.18
140 0.60
176 0.325

Cheers
DD

Old 03-20-2014, 08:13 PM
Default Coolant temp sensor

Doug, the coolant sensor was tested with an ambient temperature of about 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

Will try to supply more information tomorrow.

DaveS

Old 03-29-2014, 08:39 AM
Default 16 Lucas ECU

Gents, Sorry about the lack of updates. I sent my Lucas ECU off to a friend in South Carolina, to try it on his car. His car started right up with my ECU. I will verify the Ohm meter numbers on the coolant temp sender, I will also verify the numbers on the wiring from the coolant temp sender to the Marelli. Will report back. I should have the Lucas back on Tuesday. Thanks DaveS

Old 03-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Default Ohm readings - 89 XJS Cranks No Start

I checked the resistance on the CTS, coolant temp sender, I have 2200 ohms. I then checked the yellow w/black wire from the CTS to pin 19 on the Lucas ECU. I had 169 ohms. I checked the other wire, I had .7 ohms (that goes to pin 5 on the Lucas) I probably need to replace the yellow w/black wire. Has anyone done this before. Do the threshold plates clip in place, can I access the wiring harness under it?

Thanks

DaveS