XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Another Wiper Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2021 | 03:32 PM
|
Default Another Wiper Upgrade

I am embarking on yet another challenge in the so called refurb of the XJS - the wipers, car has the later Lucas unit, it is poor - real poor so it is coming out.

I have obtained a complete unit from a facelift - that is everything including the grille - this is not a will this install request - it is going to fit.

I've no real clue what I need electrically though - I am not replacing the column switch - I will be including relays in the power supply chain if they don't exist. What I need is wiring diag for the facelift wiper motor - the one purchased has the round plug with 6 pins and is a Trico / Electrolux motor DAC11294. My only concern I guess is whether I need the control unit from a facelift which has a crazy multipin plug on it - wherever that plug goes it sure doesn't fit this motor so if it replaces the delay relay and fits behind the glovebox I need to know how to wire it - hence - I need the wiring diagram's for a facelift - if it changed in the course of time each variation. I have a whole collection of workshop manuals for XJS but none of them cover the facelift, I'm pretty sure the DAC11294 was last fitted to cars up to VIN 199418 - after that is when the control module is needed. I'm not sure though when control modules DAC7315 or DAC10803 were used - both have the crazy rectangular plug - but wires is wires - if I need one of these then I just need to figure out how to plumb it in.

Found pretty much every model now @ Jag Repair

Last edited by BenKenobi; 10-06-2021 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Found diagrams
Old 10-06-2021 | 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

I've changed an 85 and 87 XJS's from Lucas to Electrolux wiper assemblies. Both of the ones I got had the same rectangular plug as the Lucas system. The delay relay for the Electrolux system is different, but plugs right in to replace the old one. But it was harder to find that relay than the wiper assembly; new ones are NLA. On my cars, I also had to clip one wire from the wiper switch on the column.

​​​​​​THe wiring diagrams for the two different systems is in the 1989 MY Electrical Guide, publication S-57/89. Don't be surprised if color codes given for the wiring don't match reality.

The following users liked this post:
BenKenobi (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021 | 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

Ben
The facelift unit drops straight in. The only thing you lose is the intermittent wipe - which I am guessing you cannot live without?
If so there is a fix involving cutting one wire and changing the delay relay - I think. Somewhere there is a write up, and it is a simple fix.

BenKenobi (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021 | 04:11 AM
|

Delay I can live without - don't really plan on being out in the rain but that can be a difficult strategy in the UK. I have bought a couple of control modules to experiment with because the appropriate delay relay is NLA pretty much anywhere. I have read a couple of write ups on this and also have Jaguars original technical bulletin for the procedure. The plug on the motor assembly is round, plugs don't intimidate me I have boxes of different terminals and plugs and if I have accurate wiring changing them is no big deal (I do verify wiring and don't blindly trust printed items).

The modules I got are for the facelift, DAC7315 which is I believe an early 90's module and DAC10803 which is the later one, perhaps these can be plumbed in, one of them provides a fixed delay (early one) and the later one seemingly has an adjustable delay - fixed resistor will cook that goose - but the modules are for experimentation to see what I can / can't do.

Either way it seems delay modules for the later wiper motors are getting a bit thin on the ground - the wiring doesn't look majorly complex so perhaps one can be adapted from another make / model. I need to sit down with the diagrams and figure out what that black wire was for.

But I CAN live without intermittent wipe as long as flick wipe works - I AM the delay

Old 10-07-2021 | 04:43 AM
Veteran Member

Ben
Early versiions of the electrolux 4 lever actuated wipers were fitted to later year pre facelifts, from about 1988/9. These have the same oblong plug as the lucas wiper cars do.

Old 10-07-2021 | 04:57 AM
|

Then mine clearly isn't an early one - it's round ... should be the same six cores though ... they seem pretty consistent across all generations but the delay relay / controller changes - and on much later the column switch also changes (variable delay looks like), judging by the diagrams the only thing the wiper 'ECU' actually does is include relays etc internally and combines everything into one box - it isn't really intelligent. Looks like ifyou lose delay you lose flick wipe because the motor is triggered the same way to come out of park.

1 : 12VDC +VE
2 : Run / Park changeover
3 : Low Speed
4 : Ground
5 : Hi Speed
6 : Jet heaters

Old 10-07-2021 | 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

You did not lose flick wipe on the one with the oblong plug that I fitted to a friend's car, only the intermittent.

BenKenobi (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021 | 05:52 AM
|

Only going off the wiring diagrams and I have so far 5 different configurations depending on VIN. We'll see what joys this one brings - I'll try to do better documentation for others than I have it the past - I get so wrapped in what I'm doing I fail to document it. I'll try to document the fails as well as the success's.

I'll be doing the same with the fans which are now here as is the Fenair AC replacement 'kit' so a lot going on right now. I'll probably start a thread for each.

Greg in France (10-07-2021)
Old 10-10-2021 | 10:48 AM
|

Well facelift wiper packs from later cars (my pack came from a 94) are not a straight drop in, the linkages foul my existing wiper pack mounts and also utilise three mounts at the rear where it meets the windscreen.

The good part in all this is that I have the correct control module, it gives me not only heated jets (you can see the temp sensor above too) but also incorporates delay and washer pump control, looks like I may be able to trigger the headlight washers from it too and link to the headlights so they don't work if the headlights aren't on. I don't know where Jaguar mounted this -

If anyone who has theirs apart would care to share pictures of the scuttle area without the wiper pack present so I can see the mounts it would be appreciated, picture of the location of the wiper control module in a facelift car.

If anyone has one of the oblong connectors off a failed Lucas wiper pack I would be happy to provide some beer tokens for it (providing it has sufficient tails for joining too). I'd rather not get to hacking the harness internally but if it needs to be done so be it.