XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Antenna and passenger seat troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Antenna and passenger seat troubleshooting

Hi Guys! I've been enjoying the refreshed front end - the car drives and handles beautifully! Couldn't be happier that I chose another Jaguar when looking for my weekend driver.
I've rested long enough to where I'm ready to attack the next couple of issues, namely my radio antenna and front passenger seat.
When I power up the factory radio, I hear the antenna motor make noise, but the mast doesn't rise. Maybe the gears are damaged inside the motor assembly, or maybe the antenna is somehow stuck? I can't lift the antenna manually - it's firmly fixed in the down position.
Any thoughts on how I should approach that issue?
Also, I let the Mrs. drive while I rode in the passenger seat. The seat was a bit too far forward for my legs, so I tried to adjust it - no response, regardless of which button I pushed. I thought that before buying the car, I had sat in the passenger seat and adjusted it. Now I can't recall if that was in this car or in the XK that I also looked at...
Anyway, I'd like to figure that issue out as well. I suppose the first step might be to replace the fuse (I would guess I could pop a new fuse in faster than I can measure current flow). I thought I read in the electrical guide that the passenger seat fuse is a blue 15 amp fuse that is located in the right rear fuse panel. But, I have a red 10 amp fuse in the #1 position in that small fuse panel. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is the fuse in a '96 supposed to be a 10 amp (red) vs. 15 amp (blue)?
Any help is much appreciated - thanks in advance!

Last edited by davemack; 06-27-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:41 PM

235 views and zero suggestions? No one else has had an antenna issue or power seat rendered inop...?

Old 06-27-2016, 10:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 850 Likes on 531 Posts

If you hear the motor run, but the antenna doesn't rise, I would think the gear teeth on a section of the plastic cable are worn off.

If you look at the antenna, the outer chrome 'ring' screws off. Remove it, then have someone turn the key or turn on the radio and when you hear the motor run see if you can pull the antenna up and out.

The aerial and plastic cable is available as a separate replacement part. Check Ebay for cheapest prices.

My XJS predates power seats, but I imagine our '95 X300 is similar in that regard. If the seats don't get adjusted regularly, the motors or the switches tend to be unresponsive. The last time I wanted to move the seat, it took a couple of dozen attempts of fiddling with the switch, then all of sudden it worked fine.

PS - a lot of those thread views could be search bots.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
If you hear the motor run, but the antenna doesn't rise, I would think the gear teeth on a section of the plastic cable are worn off.

If you look at the antenna, the outer chrome 'ring' screws off. Remove it, then have someone turn the key or turn on the radio and when you hear the motor run see if you can pull the antenna up and out.

The aerial and plastic cable is available as a separate replacement part. Check Ebay for cheapest prices.

My XJS predates power seats, but I imagine our '95 X300 is similar in that regard. If the seats don't get adjusted regularly, the motors or the switches tend to be unresponsive. The last time I wanted to move the seat, it took a couple of dozen attempts of fiddling with the switch, then all of sudden it worked fine.

Hi Mac - thanks for the reply. I'm encouraged to hear that I might just need the antenna and cable vs. the whole assembly! I like the sound of $30 much better than $400 when it comes to repairs!
Thanks also re: seat adjustment. I'll keep fiddling with it - the car spent a couple of years mostly sitting in the garage, and then another month or so sitting in my garage while I accumulated parts and made necessary repairs.
I'll update once I have a chance to try these things!

Old 06-28-2016, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Allan

Was able to remove the nut at the base of the antenna and raise it partially - I then turned on the radio with key in the "run" position and could hear the motor but still no movement on the antenna. I simply pulled it up the rest of the way, then tried powering down the radio - no movement. Does this still sound like a cable/mast issue?

Tried the seat switches many times, but still nothing there. Any other ideas?

Thanks!! Dave

Old 06-29-2016, 03:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I got rid of the pesky electric antenna and installed an on glass one on the front windscreen, works a teat even in the country. I welded a disc in the old antenna hole during a re-paint, but you can buy blank covers.

Re seats - do you have a multimeter? Start at the switch and meter for 12v when the switch is pressed, if you have power move to the next component in the chain. You will need a schematic of the power seats to help.

You don't say what year model your car is and while I'm not familiar with the facelift, fault finding electronics is my game.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member

The electric antenna isn't anything particularly special. It is a Hirschmann unit, and replacements don't have to be $400:

Jaguar XJS Hirschmann Electric Aerial Power Antenna New | eBay

Or a universal replacement type can be used, the wiring isn't complex so you'll be able to figure out how to adapt it.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (06-30-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 10:20 PM

Warrjon, Sorry for the omission - it's a 1996 XJS convertible with 4.0L engine...

To be honest, I don't care that much if the power seat works or not, but would like to move it all the way back (it's a bit forward). If there's a way to disengage the power seat, move it all the way back, then re-engage it, that would be a perfectly acceptable outcome.

Mac, thanks a lot for the link. The price is very good, even with Int'l shipping.

Do you suggest simply replacing the entire assembly? When I pulled the antenna up, I could hear a sound like pulling a zip tie, but it never caught on the gear. It could be that the cable is so worn it can't mesh with the gear, or maybe the gear is so worn it can't catch the cable? No idea... and maybe it doesn't matter if you suggest simply replacing the whole antenna?

Old 06-29-2016, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

Usually, there are four possible failures for the antenna -- wiring or relay fault that prevents it getting power/dead or frozen motor/broken or stripped antenna cable/the collapsable aerial gets corroded or gummed up and sticks together so the motor strains to raise it

However, by removing the retaining nut like I suggested, if it were the latter issues it should be obvious. It sounds like you have power, so given how inexpensive a replacement is...

I don't know exactly how the power seats look on the facelift cars, but if the switches can be pulled out and the contacts cleaned that would be worthwhile. If that isn't easy, you could pull the fuse for the power seats, then spray liberal amounts of contact cleaner (not WD40) into the switches themselves rocking them back and forth. Wait a few hours, then use some compressed air to blow out as much of the contact cleaner as you can. Wait 24 hours if you want to be extra careful, then put the fuse back in and give it a try.

Last edited by Mac Allan; 06-29-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,331 Likes on 5,475 Posts

Originally Posted by davemack
Do you suggest simply replacing the entire assembly?
Definitely, you clearly have power to the aerial motor, so a new one will go straight in and work.
Greg

Old 06-30-2016, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by davemack
Warrjon, Sorry for the omission - it's a 1996 XJS convertible with 4.0L engine...

To be honest, I don't care that much if the power seat works or not, but would like to move it all the way back (it's a bit forward). If there's a way to disengage the power seat, move it all the way back, then re-engage it, that would be a perfectly acceptable outcome.
You could use a 12 battery, disconnect the seat motor plug and using jumpers apply 12v to the motor, one way will move the motor in one direction and reversing the leads will send the motor the other way. If the motor is good this will move the seat.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 10:31 PM

Thanks guys - I'll try cleaning the seat door control contacts and if that fails, try jumping the plug. I'll also order up an antenna, using the link supplied by Mac.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,189 Posts

just a quick FYI - some antennas fitted are made by Harada, not Hirschmann so repair kits aren't interchangeable ....best to check which you have (it should be labelled or if not compare photos of each type on the web)

cheers

Larry

Old 07-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I just got done replacing the antenna mast on my XJR-S 1992. In my case the white plastic "cord" with the geared teeth had snapped off and was stopping the motor from working at all.

I had to take the motor out and remove what was left of the cord, as well as previously recommended loosening the retainer nut on the outside of the bodywork. I bought the replacement antenna mast online at Jaguar Heritages web shop.

Here is a pretty good video (if somewhat long) that shows the process. I found it after searching on you tube. It helped me. Good luck!

Regards,

Mark.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=u...antenna+jaguar