XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Anti Lock Light on Dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 10:12 AM
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Anti Lock Light on Dash

Went for a nice ride yesterday. I was disappointed to see the Anti Lock Light come on. I hope it won't cost me a fortune to fix. The car has new brakes and the fluid was flushed. Maybe it's a wheel sensor if I'm lucky.

Old 10-10-2021, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,094 Likes on 2,042 Posts

Al,

You haven't mentioned the details of the car. It's not in your signature but I assume from your username that this is a 1995 XJS? If so, I'm also assuming that if it's what the US call a "1995 XJS" that it will then have the Teves ABS Brake system.

You mention that the car has new brakes and the fluid was flushed. Depending who did the work, this could be the cause of the problem.

There are wear issues with the Teves system that have only come to light in the last few years. For example if (like most workshops) they just push back the pistons when removing the pads without opening the bleed nipples first, you can dislodge sediment in the ABS valve block with potentially disastrous consequences. By the same token, if they don't know to bleed the low pressure side of the system when changing the fluid, before bleeding the wheel circuits, that's another issue. Or if they don't know how to bleed the rear wheel circuits properly, which is not as per a conventional brake system, that's yet another problem.

I would suggest you start with both the "blink" test of the Teves system to identify any faults thrown in the system. Then run through the defined 32 electrical tests and verify the integrity of the system. And see where that leaves you.

Good luck

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
orangeblossom (01-10-2024), tompullizzi (02-17-2023)
Old 10-10-2021, 12:15 PM
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

The car is a 96 XJS with 56,000 miles. (I sold the 95 a while ago.) I would assume the brake system is the same. I wouldn't be surprised that the flush was not done properly. I guess I'll be off to Motorcars Garage (Specialize in Jaguar). $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 10-10-2021, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,094 Likes on 2,042 Posts

Al,

If its a US "1996 XJS" then it has the revised brake system which doesn't have the same issue with the ABS valve block, as it uses a very different design and layout compared to the 1995 cars.

Apols for misleading you.

PAul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
orangeblossom (01-10-2024), tompullizzi (02-17-2023)
Old 01-07-2024, 04:28 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Which Teves Systems Are There?

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Al,

You haven't mentioned the details of the car. It's not in your signature but I assume from your username that this is a 1995 XJS? If so, I'm also assuming that if it's what the US call a "1995 XJS" that it will then have the Teves ABS Brake system.

You mention that the car has new brakes and the fluid was flushed. Depending who did the work, this could be the cause of the problem.

There are wear issues with the Teves system that have only come to light in the last few years. For example if (like most workshops) they just push back the pistons when removing the pads without opening the bleed nipples first, you can dislodge sediment in the ABS valve block with potentially disastrous consequences. By the same token, if they don't know to bleed the low pressure side of the system when changing the fluid, before bleeding the wheel circuits, that's another issue. Or if they don't know how to bleed the rear wheel circuits properly, which is not as per a conventional brake system, that's yet another problem.

I would suggest you start with both the "blink" test of the Teves system to identify any faults thrown in the system. Then run through the defined 32 electrical tests and verify the integrity of the system. And see where that leaves you.

Good luck

Paul
what are the MYs for each of the Teves systems? For example, my '94 4.0 has a Teves ____ ?