XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Anyone using waterless engine coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Water pumps still fail, hoses still leak, gaskets get old, thermostats wear out. The problems the XJS can have are pretty normal, but the engine bay is so cramped hoses have to be disconnected to work on most things anyway.
Id just rather top it up wwith more 50/50 each time I work on it...just me though
All true for sure but as I understand it, the coolant can be collected and re-used so that may mitigate some of the cost.

Also and perhaps more importantly is the claim of zero corrosion. If true then this would help to lessen the chances of premature water pump failure and this plus the fact that the system is under considerably less pressure may lessen the chances of hoses/gaskets leaking.

Another valuable side benefit to all us pet lovers is that the Evan's coolant is non-toxic so your favorite four legged pal will not keel over if he/she licks up some spilled coolant. (A big deal for me as I lost a dog for this very reason some years ago )

All grist for the mill.

Cheers,

Allan

Last edited by AllanG; 10-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC
Corrosion.

Any water in contact with ferrous metal will oxidize the metal. (rust) You can't stop it.
In addition to which, ethylene glycol itself is corrosive. Most automotive antifreeze is 97+ percent ethylene glycol when undiluted. When the corrosion inhibitors are depleted, corrosion starts.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by AllanG
Also and perhaps more importantly is the claim of zero corrosion. If true then this would help to lessen the chances of premature water pump failure and this plus the fact that the system is under considerably less pressure may lessen the chances of hoses/gaskets leaking.
Additionally, the reduction or elimination of deposits in the water jackets and passages help to maintain the flow rates, and hence cooling ability of the system as a whole.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC

I plan to park my car for the season so I asked the curator of my museum what they use during storage. My museum is not a car museum but they are the proud owner of many cars including a totally original, and operational, Ford T and John Lennons' Rolls. When he said Evans I began to research it.
I suppose a car that is not in service and may never be might benefit from the waterless. Changing conventional coolant every few years in the middle of a museum exhibition hall might be a logistical problem.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

if you look into the original R&D of propolyene glycol as a coolant product, it was developed by the US military for the Black Hawk helicoptors, not to cool the engines , but to cool the complicated hydraulic systems!

they often were stored for long periods of time, only to be fired up for a full tilt blast of action, and its then you do not have time to change any thing in the coolant system.

HEY wait up, how many of the you remember alcohol for anti freeze coolant, they didnt even have ethylene-glycol for a coolant YET! late 40s.

but like some say; "to each his own poison".

Old 10-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm very sorry but there is no hydraulic cooling system in the UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter. In fact there is no hydraulic cooling system in any US Military helicopter that I know of. I have flown most of them. For over 20 years I was a Maintenance Test Pilot on the AH-64 Apache

The purpose of alcohol, Glycols and other additives to water is to lower the freezing temperature and raise the boiling point of the water. The Water is the primary coolant.

Glycols have good thermodynamic properties on their own so can be used a coolants or heat transfer mediums but in a car their purpose is to act as anti-freeze.

Ethylene Glycol is highly toxic and corrosive in it's pure state. That is why there are warnings on the bottle not to use it undiluted. Water/Glycol mixes have a far lower freezing point and higher boiling point than either alone.

Propylene Glycol is the heat transfer medium of choice in Solar Collectors as it is (usually) food safe.

The purpose of waterless coolants is to eliminate the water (with it's associated corrosion issues and its low boiling point) from the equation.

The following users liked this post:
AllanG (10-17-2013)
Old 10-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

no military units have any hydraulic cooling systems??? didnt know that when i asked a guy about the small radiator on copter was for he said cooling something.oh well!!

speaking about cooling cars, model Ts etc, back in the day,depression era, around Maine-NH, Canada, with no money to waste, guys for the winter, would fill there cooling systems with Kerosene sometimes called coal oil, run it no thermostats, all winter.
in spring drain and flush it,replace all hoses, fill it back with just water,and be off to work or what have you!

invention is the mother of necessity, gotta do whatcha gotta do.

i been using Evans since 1990s

Old 10-19-2013, 06:27 PM

There is a radiator on the Blackhawk. It is located behind the main transmission. It has a fan driven by the Tail Rotor Drive Shaft.
This is called the Oil Cooler and cools the oil in the main transmission and associated components.

Engine lubrication is cooled with a liquid-to-liquid heat exchanger using incoming fuel to cool the engine oil. This is a rather small, self-contained unit mounted on each Engine Accessory Gear Box.

The engines themselves are air cooled. In fact, on the UH-60, and in particular the AH-64 Apache, this ambient air engine cooling is so good that mechanics will warm their hands on a cold morning by holding them in the exhaust. This is needed to lower the IR signature of the engines.

So perhaps you can understand my frustration with the overheating of an XJS. With proper air flow and the current cooling system there should be no reason for overheating. Instead we have a small grill area and no where for the hot air to go in such a cramped space. I'm actually tempted to cut into the hood and install small exhaust vents or route hot air exhausts from the "V" area to under the car. Even two 2" flexible vents would improve the total air flow greatly.

Right now I always reach down and unlock the hood every time I park. You would be amazed how much convection air comes out.

Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 10-19-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

something like this?

Attached Thumbnails Anyone using waterless engine coolant?-hood-view-rear_2.jpg   Anyone using waterless engine coolant?-hood-view-left_2.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013, 12:31 PM

I am keeping my eye out for something a little more in keeping with the lines of the car but yes. like that.
Hopefully a set of vents that can drop into a cut hole and would not require re-painting the whole car.