XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ask me them stereo questions!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure there's tons of people with a 1996 xj6 but I was hoping you knew the wiring schematics or if there is a thread anywhere on here for an aftermarket radio to be installed.

I don't really want to pay for the hardwire install since I'm familiar with audio installation.

Any info would be great.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

G'day

I am wanting to swap out my old cassette deck for a decent MP3 player maybe even with bluetooth. Head unit only. Original speakers will do fine.

I want to pick it up from JB HIFI (A kinda audio superstore here in Oz) and install it myself. Nothing too fancy so long as it is a reasonable brand. I found a few

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...ontrol/534973/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...th-usb/459281/

I just wanted to make sure to firstly pick something decent and secondly do it right.

So...where do I begin when I bring home the new head unit?

Does the cassette deck just jimmy out with a screw driver or is there an art?(no hammer and chisel me thinks!)

If the two wiring harnesses are not compatible, is it best just to splice the wires?

Are the Auto Electric color codes for British usually the same worldwide or can there be alot of differences?

Do most name brands fit in the hole left by the absent cassette deck or do you sometimes have space issues? ie. have to cut out or fill up the space left?

Please help. Our local radio stations kinda suck up here and I desperately need the right tunes to get the ultimate experience driving my XJS

Attached Thumbnails Ask me them stereo questions!-20140821_141413.jpg  
Old 08-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'd pick the Sony that allows you to plug in a device via USB or 3.5mm jack. I used to think the USB port was super useful, but I find myself using the 3.5mm much more.

I believe the Pioneer only has a USB port.

Originally Posted by paulyling
G'day

I am wanting to swap out my old cassette deck for a decent MP3 player maybe even with bluetooth. Head unit only. Original speakers will do fine.

I want to pick it up from JB HIFI (A kinda audio superstore here in Oz) and install it myself. Nothing too fancy so long as it is a reasonable brand. I found a few

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...ontrol/534973/

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...th-usb/459281/

I just wanted to make sure to firstly pick something decent and secondly do it right.

So...where do I begin when I bring home the new head unit?

Does the cassette deck just jimmy out with a screw driver or is there an art?(no hammer and chisel me thinks!)

If the two wiring harnesses are not compatible, is it best just to splice the wires?

Are the Auto Electric color codes for British usually the same worldwide or can there be alot of differences?

Do most name brands fit in the hole left by the absent cassette deck or do you sometimes have space issues? ie. have to cut out or fill up the space left?

Please help. Our local radio stations kinda suck up here and I desperately need the right tunes to get the ultimate experience driving my XJS

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD problem 2005 xj8

My CD player has stopped working, and I am told that the "head" has "gone."

If I have a CD changer installed in the trunk will it work without replacing the entire unit in the dash board ? or is my onlyoption to replace the entire unti in the dash ?

LRCFO

Old 08-23-2014, 03:02 AM

Where is Jake21? I am about to jump in the deep end and might need his help!

Well, Im gonna attempt this next week. Rip out the ole Cassette deck and install a new Mp3 (maybe pay more and get blue tooth) player.

So I took out my deck and the first thing I noticed was its quite chunky compared to new players. Its about 180mm long and 50mm high. The first thing I thought was the space left around the edges when I install a new one.

What is the best way to blank this up with it still looking classy?

Also I was looking at the wiring. Lucky for me they placed a sticker on the bottom of the player which denotes what each colour wire is for.

Just hoping we have a similar colour code for the player I choose next week. I am guessing it would come with a wiring harness, so looks like Ill have to chop it off and splice the wires.

So...according to the wiring layout we have:

Yellow: Auto Antenna
White: Memory Back up (constant 12V)
Black: Ground
Red: illumi lead (what the hell does that mean?)
Blue: connect to 12V switched
The grey wires, each with a different stripe : speakers

Any further advice on types of head units or how to blank up the sides if indeed if the new player is smaller, will be most appreciated.

Also any advice on how to tackle this best, I'm all eyes.

Thanks in advance

Attached Thumbnails Ask me them stereo questions!-20140822_161859.jpg  

Last edited by paulyling; 08-23-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

red: illumination lead - I would imagine this tells signals the state of the lights so the display can adjust accordingly.

Just a guess, I am not a stereo installer.

paulyling (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 04:10 AM

as in brightness of the display Flint?

Im wondering if some of these wont be able to be wired up on a new head unit. Such as the wire for Auto Antenna, as obviously not all cars have this feature. Maybe the same for the red wire?

I really need to get my hands on a new unit and check it out. See what wires are needed.

BTW

I noticed some more expensive players still have a CD player option. I think ill give it a miss personally as most of mine are MP3s despite the fact my garage is full of cds, i have converted most.

I really do miss the little booklets you used to get though!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:05 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, Im gonna attempt this next week. Rip out the ole Cassette deck and install a new Mp3 (maybe pay more and get blue tooth) player.

So I took out my deck and the first thing I noticed was its quite chunky compared to new players. Its about 180mm long and 50mm high. The first thing I thought was the space left around the edges when I install a new one.

Also I was looking at the wiring. Lucky for me they placed a sticker on the bottom of the player which denotes what each colour wire is for.

Just hoping we have a similar colour code for the player I choose next week. I am guessing it would come with a wiring harness, so looks like Ill have to chop it off and splice the wires.

Red: illumi lead (what the hell does that mean?)

Any further advice on types of head units or how to blank up the sides if indeed if the new player is smaller, will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I can only figure he's in jail, sold his Jag's and bought a donkey, or been abducted by aliens.

I have asked a few questions in this thread too and heard NOTHING back. Good luck on the stereo installation.

paulyling (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Try this.
Sean's Jaguar Tech Pages - Stereo Installation Instructions for the Jaguar XJS

Or

XJS Stereo wiring

There is plenty of info out there!

Pay more, you won't regret it. Bluetooth is a great feature to have!

Most, if not all, radios come with a frame that gets attached to bridge that gap. My JVC sure did.

Radios are all standard sized, so there shouldn't be anything difficult or unusual.

Red: illumi lead (what the hell does that mean?). This is the wire that tells the radio that you have the headlights on, so the display should go into its night mode.

Thanks in advance
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Vee; 08-23-2014 at 09:17 AM.
paulyling (08-23-2014)
Old 08-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by gregh
-Last year, I replaced all four stock speakers in my '89XJS with 6.5" round Pioneer speakers, and the sound improvement was so good, I almost kept the stock cassette radio system in the car, but I had already bought the Pioneer deck with CD,MP3, and USB ports.
The new speakers were great.
Any trickiness to installing 6.5 in front or back, Greg?

Old 08-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FastKat
How about a small powered subwoofer under the rear seat?
Have you made progress in the XJ6? I'm going to do exactly the same thing, just put four Alpine SPS-410 in and will now add a powered sub, probably the
Kenwood KSC-SW11 or Clarion SRV250. I doubt there's any room under the back seat. Mine's going under the dash in the passenger footwell.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jake21
These Alpine components are AMAZING sounding speakers on standard deck power (no amp)
Alpine SPS-610C Type-S 6-3/4" component speaker system — fits in 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com
Jake, do you recommend I go with four of these when I replace the speakers in my 1992 XJS? I put four of their smaller version, the SPS-410, in my XJ6 and they are excellent. Except for the impedence change, from 8 to 4. The volume drop is significant.

Is there anything I can do to the new speakers to make them 8 ohm or is changing the head unit the way to go?

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2014, 05:12 PM

heh thanks for the help Vee!

Legend

Ill attempt this next week and post the results

Old 08-24-2014, 11:16 PM

Ok bought me a well priced JVC for $140 that has bluetooth.

Gonna install this baybe tonight. It appears to have all needed wires for old system plus more.

The size of the face was about spot on to the original so shouldnt need a face kit.

Cool bannanas. With any luck ill be in good shape for tommorow mornings cruise.

Attached Thumbnails Ask me them stereo questions!-20140825_135042.jpg  
Old 08-25-2014, 01:25 AM

Heres the diagram for the old cassette deck. According to my new instruction manual for the JVC we got all the same wires plus one for the steering wheel remote control adapter (which i of course wont have) and one called ignition which i think is the same as 12V switched right?

Just waiting for the kids to go to bed. They are in the Goose, which is parked in the garage watching a movie ATM. They call this "The Drive in Movies"

Attached Thumbnails Ask me them stereo questions!-radio-diagram.jpg  
Old 08-25-2014, 02:07 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

and one called ignition which i think is the same as 12V switched right?
Spot on with that one.

paulyling (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 07:47 AM
Default The Deed is Done

Well the deed is done.

I got er first go however it wasnt without a little dissapointment.

I wired her all up and turned her on. Turns on/off with ignition.. cool. Dims when I bring on the headlights...cool. Paired it with my Android phone...no worries.

But....the speakers are crappy. I think the original Jag spec speakers must be below 50W as I can only crank the volume up to about 15 on the head unit, with my Bluetooth device cranked at full volume, when the speakers start to crackle. It sounds quite low.

I read the user manual, and sure enough the AMP output was set to high which is the default for +50W speakers. It states that if below 50W use the low setting. I did that and changed around with bass etc for a while, and got a bit more volume out of it, but it seems like the original speakers werent meant for a rockin!

There is one thing however. I noticed (re: The cassette wiring diagram above in previous post) that originally both front and rear speakers, for each side were in series. So you had 3 wires coming out of the player for each side. One plus, one plus/minus where the two speaker series up, and then the remaining minus.

This was done for each side.

I noticed on the new wiring diagram that came with the book, it has 8 wires, 1 pair for each speaker, which makes up the 4 speakers.

I wired the JVC up to the speakers the way the old cassette deck was wired up. For each respective side (left and right) I had 4 wires, but joined two wires together making 3 to connect to the original layout. (Speakers in series as per the cassette layout).

Do any of you guys know if this is the correct way? Should I perhaps run all speakers in parallel? Will this let the smoke out?

Failing this, i might try and find out what Wattage the original specs were. Does anybody know?

And finally. I noticed before I mounted it in properley, that that bloody heatsink on the back gets quite hot. I though there must be a short or I stuffed something up, but according to the user manual, it says not to touch the rear heatsink as it gets quite hot in normal operation. Whoda thought!

Attached Thumbnails Ask me them stereo questions!-20140825_220916.jpg   Ask me them stereo questions!-20140825_220803.jpg   Ask me them stereo questions!-20140825_194708.jpg  
Old 08-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Do any of you guys know if this is the correct way? Should I perhaps run all speakers in parallel? Will this let the smoke out?

Failing this, i might try and find out what Wattage the original specs were. Does anybody know?

And finally. I noticed before I mounted it in properley, that that bloody heatsink on the back gets quite hot. I though there must be a short or I stuffed something up, but according to the user manual, it says not to touch the rear heatsink as it gets quite hot in normal operation. Whoda thought!
You should run new wires to the speakers,there should be 2 wires from the head unit that go to each speaker, if you wire it the way you have described you will only have balance control and no front to rear fader.
But you won't let the smoke out with speaker wiring.

And yes the rear of head units do get quite hot, you are the electrician Paul. I am sure you would know if something was not wired correct or shorting out.

Why not go the whole hog and do the speakers while you are at it,or you won't be happy with your 80's tunes. Make sure you remove the old speakers and take them with you to buy new ones so you know they will fit the existing holes without having to butcher your panels.

paulyling (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:24 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Yes, new speakers are definitely in order. They are far too old to be serviceable at this point.

paulyling (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:52 AM

Cool thanks for the advice.

I think tommorow ill rip it back out and wire two wires to each speaker. Ill see if it improves the quality.

Im wondering why it was originally done with front and rear in series? Maybe before head units had fade etc?

Quick Reply: Ask me them stereo questions!