XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ask me them stereo questions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Unit lights up no sound

Found this thread by accident. I do not have a XJS (wife wants a convertible one) but a XJ8.
The "radio" unit lights up and buttons display info but there is no sound.
I have checked all the fuses scattered throughout but all are OK. Am I missing an amplifier relay somewhere?
Water was spilled on the head unit and it has not worked since. Am I looking at some internal short/fuse?
Thanks for any tips,

Dan

Old 11-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an 89 xjs. The radio code will not work- it always beeps as I get to the last number in the code. I read in the manual that after a certain number of tries you have to have the radio on for an hour before you can enter the code again. Has anyone else had this be the case?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:46 AM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

To dorschman
Make sure you have power to the white and blue trace wire. That wire has constant 12vts and is fused on left side #6. It is the wire that maintains your presets and code

The following users liked this post:
Dan R (12-08-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by afterburner1
To dorschman
Make sure you have power to the white and blue trace wire. That wire has constant 12vts and is fused on left side #6. It is the wire that maintains your presets and code

Do you mean at the back of the stereo head unit itself or is this in the engine bay or in the trunk?

thank you

erik

Old 12-08-2014, 06:45 PM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dorschman
Do you mean at the back of the stereo head unit itself or is this in the engine bay or in the trunk?

thank you

erik
Erik,
I mean the stereo head control unit in the passenger compartment.
Everything lights up and responds to presets except one thing; no sound!

Old 12-08-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dan R
Erik,
I mean the stereo head control unit in the passenger compartment.
Everything lights up and responds to presets except one thing; no sound!
So in my Audi there is a special tool required to pull the head unit. Is this the same in the Jaguar? I don't see one that came with the car anywhere but it definitely could be missing if it was supposed to.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:37 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Any pics and directions for removing stock stereo from 2000 S Type and installing new after market? I know I will need and adapter harness. Thank you for any support!

Old 01-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jake, just bought 2004 S type w/Alpine system. A woofer was haphazardly installed and removed but didn't reconnect original wiring. Without tearing out the back to find original wiring and reconnect, hoping someone has original typical wiring to the two back deck speakers...Had lots of experience in wiring, just need a schematic or wire runs from system........thanks, Frank

Old 02-02-2015, 05:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rear subs sound terrible...

A few months back my rear subs finally reached the end of their life. The foam surround on the cones had disintegrated.
After reading many posts on this forum, I replaced with the Kicker 10CVT65 subs.
Install wasn't tough...took a couple hours. Since the replacement, the sound quality is much worse than the OEM subs.
At any volume over normal, the subs pop. I need to turn the bass on the head unit down to -1 or -2 to keep this from happening. I rechecked the wiring to make sure they were correctly connected, and not out of phase...everything seems to be correct.
Others have said these Kicker replacements worked well.
Any ideas on what the problem might be? Could it be the amp?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:39 AM

I have to enter my 5 digit code for the radio everytime I turn on the car ? Works fine after I put that in but I have to do it everytime ?

Old 02-21-2015, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by x12xjs
I have to enter my 5 digit code for the radio everytime I turn on the car ? Works fine after I put that in but I have to do it everytime ?
Normally a car sounds system has a permanent 12V source (so it remembers its settings, time etc when you turn the car off. Then there is the switched 12V which provides the power to run the unit once you turn the key.

Sounds like you may have lost or never had the permanent 12V or they have been wired in reverse (switched 12v connected to the sound systems permanent 12V, so it looses its mind whenever you turn the car off)

So, is this a new car to you or a new sound installation?

If its suddenly started doing this you may have blown the fuse in the permanent 12V or have a wiring issue (seen some very dodgy twisted wire and insulation tape installs)

Have you noticed if you lose radio settings as well? If they are there that negates the lack of permanent 12V theory.

The following users liked this post:
x12xjs (03-01-2015)
Old 02-21-2015, 03:12 PM

Question: how can inserting a cassette into the CDC make all volume disappear?
Fixed stuck cassette unit. Turned on car, radio was working. Inserted cassette, no sound from radio, in car CD or CDC. Radio is on, I can switch to CD and back, but no sound!
If I'd messed up the wiring somehow on reinstallation of the CDC, then the radio would not have been working when I turned the car on. Anyway, there was no way to put the plugs in incorrectly to the back of the CDC. (Alpine model on 2004 XJ8 VP)

Old 02-23-2015, 07:29 PM

Which audio module is best for streaming Pandora etc. through the factory unit? 04 XJR all options?
Thanks in advance!

rcode

Old 02-24-2015, 10:11 AM
Default no sound from speakers

Originally Posted by nebre8
Question: how can inserting a cassette into the CDC make all volume disappear?
Fixed stuck cassette unit. Turned on car, radio was working. Inserted cassette, no sound from radio, in car CD or CDC. Radio is on, I can switch to CD and back, but no sound!
If I'd messed up the wiring somehow on reinstallation of the CDC, then the radio would not have been working when I turned the car on. Anyway, there was no way to put the plugs in incorrectly to the back of the CDC. (Alpine model on 2004 XJ8 VP)
Jag is now at the mechanic and he reckons it is the amp - but I get the feeling he will keep replacing hardware until the sound comes back

Old 02-24-2015, 12:56 PM

Jag is now at the mechanic and he reckons it is the amp - but I get the feeling he will keep replacing hardware until the sound comes back
And no, it is not the amp, but the mechanic now thinks he can get the sound back by installing a new CDC for $900 - can't I just bypass the darn thing?

Old 02-26-2015, 01:28 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I own a 1996 Jaguar XJS and all speakers need to be replaced. To much 1812 oveture beingg played to loud...

I have an Orig. alpine unit and I have to keep it for originality.
I
Someone recommended the Alpine 610 speakers, I only can can only find the 610S Speaker model.
I need all four to be replaced.
Can the Alpine 610 speakers model be purchased.?
What would you recommend for my car with the old components still installed
Thanks

Thanks
Robert

Last edited by RobertL; 02-26-2015 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:02 AM

And no, it is not the amp, but the mechanic now thinks he can get the sound back by installing a new CDC for $900 - can't I just bypass the darn thing?
In another thread, a member claims to have successfully bypassed the changer, but no details are given.https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...o-sound-90965/

Old 03-01-2015, 10:03 AM

i have quick questio ,recently bought 90 xjs v12 the first 2 weeks radio was fine i had to put in the 5 digit code everytime i started the car and now i dont know what happened but when iturn the radio on a out the code in it just makes a beep plus the security light flashes weather radio is on or off ? any one have a suggestions

Old 03-11-2015, 03:17 AM
P.L
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Ask me them stereo questions!

Hi all,
I am thinking about upgrading the speakers on my XJS.
From what I read here, the Alpine SPS-610s should work well with my Becker Indianapolis Pro. No need to add an amp.

I do fancy the SPS-610Cs though as they come with a separate tweeter.
The question is: Where to mount the tweeters? The bezel covering the mirror mounts (metal triangle top front of the doors, BEC14874/BEC14875) seems ideal. Who installed tweeters there? How to do that (drilling, on top)? Pictures please! :-)
Thanks a lot!

Old 03-11-2015, 10:36 AM

Can anyone please advise if the factory head units in the X300 and/or X308 have RCA outputs?

Quick Reply: Ask me them stereo questions!