XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ask me them stereo questions!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default XK8 Radio Fuse

Hi, sorry to double post, but I only just noticed this thread.

Could you tell me where and what number the radio fuse is for a 1997 XK8 please, as the radio has died.

Many thanks.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@nab999

You're in the wrong forum..... you need to post on the XK8/R forum

Anyway, your radio fuses are #9, 10A, passenger side fuse box and #12, 5A, passenger side fuse box

Old 02-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AL NZ
thanks Jake

I read your replies too late - I went for the Parrot Asteroid, installed today, so far so good.
I needed new speakers - check out the attached photo of the old ones - explains the 'tinny' sound I was getting.
They have been replaced with 4x JVC 6" speakers which sound OK but lack adequate bass.
the installer thinks a subwoofer in the boot may not work because the petrol tank is between the trunk/boot and the rear seat, and the bass may not get through. I am going to live with the 4x 6" speakers for a few weeks and see how it goes.. if not happy, is there a small subwoofer that could go under the passenger's seat?
I doubt there is remotely enough room under the rear seat to house a sub. Your best option would be to either
A) Put one in the boot
B) Replace the rear 6" speakers for 6" subs, with enclosures

Depending on your musical taste, I would opt for the rear speakers replaced as subs

Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by nab999
Hi, sorry to double post, but I only just noticed this thread.

Could you tell me where and what number the radio fuse is for a 1997 XK8 please, as the radio has died.

Many thanks.
Sarc stated the fuse's your after, but what i like to tell people is: Check every fuse in the car, you would be surprised what has blown.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 AM
Received 351 Likes on 224 Posts

Here is a pic of my Parrot Asteroid 'Classic' installed, with aftermarket surround that suits the non-parallel shape of the gap. I like the low-key look, doesn't look out of place in an 18 year old car.

It had JVC 6" speakers installed with the Parrot 2 days ago, but I noticed the front passenger door 'buzzing' which really annoyed me.
I took it back to the installer who found the cone on the JVC was about 3mm bigger diameter than the Jaguar original speaker, and was hitting the door card. They tried spacers, but ended up going down to a set of four 5 1/4" JVCs - problem seems solved, in fact more bass! Go figure...

I am still contemplating a small powered subwoofer for a bit of extra low-end. Has anyone got any experiences? Ideally I'd like a slim one that could fit under the passenger front seat. Alpine do one, but it is probably too thick at 114mm to fit. I am not after crazy bass, just a bit more for normal listening and to hear it over the road noise - in NZ we have coarse chip sealed roads which are very noisy and overpower bass from car sound systems.
If you have put a subwoofer in the boot of an X300, has it worked for you? - the petrol tank is between the boot and the rear seat..

thanks, Al

Attached Thumbnails Ask me them stereo questions!-parrot.jpg  

Last edited by AL NZ; 02-20-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:03 AM
Received 6,362 Likes on 5,535 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarc
You're in the wrong forum..... you need to post on the XK8/R forum
Is he though? I see a lot of questions and answers in this thread that are no XJS related, I'm thinking the thread would be better moved to the audio section.
Jake?

Old 02-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 517 Likes on 333 Posts

For anyone out there looking for an amazing audio unit to install, I just put the JVC KD AVX77 in. It fit in my 88 perfectly, has a very clean look.
Completely touch screen and you can capture an image off of a DVD for the screen saver. Blue tooth, streaming iPod and pandora, I'm still finding out tons of things. Sounds amazing with my factory speakers as well.
I burned a DVD of the jaguar logo and captured it for my screen saver. Looks like the new factory touch screen!!

Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by philhef
For anyone out there looking for an amazing audio unit to install, I just put the JVC KD AVX77 in. It fit in my 88 perfectly, has a very clean look.
Completely touch screen and you can capture an image off of a DVD for the screen saver. Blue tooth, streaming iPod and pandora, I'm still finding out tons of things. Sounds amazing with my factory speakers as well.
I burned a DVD of the jaguar logo and captured it for my screen saver. Looks like the new factory touch screen!!

Pictures please!

Old 02-27-2013, 11:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HI, I have bought a 1993 XJS V12 which has had a new battery fitted so when i entered the radio code the LCD screen shows NO MW and will not let you do anything with the radio,
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
Malcolm

Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Hi Jake,

95 XJS with original head unit. Just installed 2 Focals on the doors and two high end Alpine speakers on the back. Sound is not very good. Sound was better with original speakers before they blew. I want to get an amp, but I would like one that runs cool, is small and does not need all sorts of complicated wiring. I have seen some from Blaupunkt.

Also, if i was to not get an amp, what speakers would be comparable to the Goodmans Jaguar put in there?

Last edited by Spikepaga; 03-03-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:22 AM

Hi Jake
I am slowly working through a stereo upgrade in my 95 X300 Daimler
I have removed the tape deck, put in a Parrot Asteroid and 4 door speakers, 5 1/4" JVCs which sound good at rest, but NZ coarse-chip tarmac is louder than the bass, so I now have a Sony Subwoofer in the trunk powered by a Sony 600W amp.
It sounds good, but I have never had a sub before and didn't realise the upper limit is only 100Hz, so I feel there is a 'gap' between deep bass (sub) and what the door speakers can do.
I am pretty happy with the sound, I can listen to my Zep/Stones/Who etc, and the sub is only 24 hours old. I have been told it will take a couple of weeks to loosen up and be at its best.

I am keen to put in some 6x9s to fill in the bass above 100Hz, and the Sony amp can run them. I wonder which would be best? I am not that price-conscious, just want good quality.
The rear parcel shelf doesn't really lend itself to 6x9s - it has a roller blind for the rear window which gets in the way of big holes, and the petrol tank is only about 2 inches below so there isn't much depth. I wondered if there are good spacers available (I have seen plenty on the net but don't know what is best) and whether spacers are OK or give crappy sound. I could try to source a secondhand rear parcel shelf from a Jag X300 which I assume doesn't have the Daimler's blind, and swap them out to avoid destroying the original shelf.
Various internet reviews recommend various speakers. I see some USA-made DD's, also the R-spec Alpines,. JBLs win one review
Any advice or recommendations?
thanks, Al, in NZ

Attached Thumbnails Ask me them stereo questions!-boot.jpg  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
Is he though? I see a lot of questions and answers in this thread that are no XJS related, I'm thinking the thread would be better moved to the audio section.
Jake?
It could be, I dont mind answering questions for all vehicles. Dont matter to me

Originally Posted by philhef
JVC Screens, although somewhat sub par sound quality, are EXCELLENT units

Originally Posted by malky1965
HI, I have bought a 1993 XJS V12 which has had a new battery fitted so when i entered the radio code the LCD screen shows NO MW and will not let you do anything with the radio,
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
Malcolm
Unfortunately its a protection setting for the radio... It thinks the unit has been removed/stolen since it lost power. You will need to call a Jag dealer and MOST of the time you give them your Vin over the phone and they will give you a sequence of buttons to press to get it back up and running.

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Hi Jake,

95 XJS with original head unit. Just installed 2 Focals on the doors and two high end Alpine speakers on the back. Sound is not very good. Sound was better with original speakers before they blew. I want to get an amp, but I would like one that runs cool, is small and does not need all sorts of complicated wiring. I have seen some from Blaupunkt.

Also, if i was to not get an amp, what speakers would be comparable to the Goodmans Jaguar put in there?
Any Alpine or Kicker amps will suit you well. Since you have Focals, I would get an amp with AT LEAST 75 watts per channel at 4ohms.

Hi Jake
I have removed the tape deck, put in a Parrot Asteroid and 4 door speakers, 5 1/4" JVCs which sound good at rest, but NZ coarse-chip tarmac is louder than the bass, so I now have a Sony Subwoofer in the trunk powered by a Sony 600W amp.
It sounds good, but I have never had a sub before and didn't realise the upper limit is only 100Hz, so I feel there is a 'gap' between deep bass (sub) and what the door speakers can do.
I am pretty happy with the sound, I can listen to my Zep/Stones/Who etc, and the sub is only 24 hours old. I have been told it will take a couple of weeks to loosen up and be at its best.

I am keen to put in some 6x9s to fill in the bass above 100Hz, and the Sony amp can run them. I wonder which would be best? I am not that price-conscious, just want good quality.
The rear parcel shelf doesn't really lend itself to 6x9s - it has a roller blind for the rear window which gets in the way of big holes, and the petrol tank is only about 2 inches below so there isn't much depth. I wondered if there are good spacers available (I have seen plenty on the net but don't know what is best) and whether spacers are OK or give crappy sound. I could try to source a secondhand rear parcel shelf from a Jag X300 which I assume doesn't have the Daimler's blind, and swap them out to avoid destroying the original shelf.
Various internet reviews recommend various speakers. I see some USA-made DD's, also the R-spec Alpines,. JBLs win one review
thanks, Al, in NZ
Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, or Kicker. Cant go wrong with any of those brands' 6x9's

Last edited by jake21; 03-27-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice systems

Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Is it worth it to spend any real money on speakers if I'm just planning on leaving my aftermarket JVC KD-AR880 alone, with no amp or subwoofer?

Everytime I read anything about the quality of an upper end speaker, it seems that it needs to be driven by an amp.

What about component speakers? Worth the trouble without an amp?

Thanks.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Vee
Is it worth it to spend any real money on speakers if I'm just planning on leaving my aftermarket JVC KD-AR880 alone, with no amp or subwoofer?

Everytime I read anything about the quality of an upper end speaker, it seems that it needs to be driven by an amp.

What about component speakers? Worth the trouble without an amp?

Thanks.
It depends, you currently have the stock speakers in I assume?

Aftermarket speakers are "made" (most of the time) to be paired with a sub.

Stock speakers will play FULL RANGE frequencys, meaning they will play Bass, Mids, and High's, although the sound will have horrid imaging and sound very muddy.

Aftermarket speakers like to play somewhere above 80-120hz (frequency where the bass really starts kicking it)

Most aftermarket CD players have whats called a High Pass Filter or HPF, a digital crossover. There you can set the HPF cutoff frequency to the speakers to around 80hz. (signal sent to the speakers will only be sound above 80hz, therefore, speakers wont play low-bass)

Now for you answer, there are aftermarket speakers that really dont need an amp to sound good. The higher end speakers (usually the ones that cost more) WILL need an amp to sound any where near good.

These Alpine components are AMAZING sounding speakers on standard deck power (no amp)
Alpine SPS-610C Type-S 6-3/4" component speaker system — fits in 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

I almost guarantee you will love them, just make sure ou mount the tweeter in the door panel or on the A piller.

And one thing that many people dont understand, THE BASS SETTING SHOULD NEVER BE MAXED OUT. It will ruin your speakers, and it will make them sound TERRIBLE.

All in all, amps are not absolutely NECESSARY for aftermarket speakers. You will get 100x better sound with an aftermarket speaker on deck power, the only thing you will lose is a little bit of bass.

The following users liked this post:
Vee (03-29-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 07:41 PM

Hi Jake

thanks, Al, in NZ
A quick little something i noticed. Your Sony amp will not run the 6x9's in stereo the way the should be ran.

Spacers are fine and dont hurt anything.

I hate to sound like a speaker snob, but here is what i would do personally:
-Upgrade the JVC speakers
-Upgrade the Sony sub
-Upgrade the Sony amp
-Get/make a ported box tuned to around 33hz

You could upgrade all of that on a reasonable budget, EASILY under $500

The equipment itself is whats hindering you sound quality, not the quanity/size of speakers.

And is the Parrot the deck you are using to drive all of the speakers?

Old 03-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Hello Jake.

I just installed the Alpine CDE HD138 BT :

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Along with the mini amp that alpine offers, KTP445:

I have focal speakers in the front and alpine sps-610 in the back.

What setting should I have the amp and radio on to get the best sound quality ?

Thanks

Old 03-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,592 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by jake21
Now for you answer, there are aftermarket speakers that really dont need an amp to sound good. The higher end speakers (usually the ones that cost more) WILL need an amp to sound any where near good.

These Alpine components are AMAZING sounding speakers on standard deck power (no amp)
Alpine SPS-610C Type-S 6-3/4" component speaker system — fits in 6-1/2" or 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield.com

I almost guarantee you will love them, just make sure ou mount the tweeter in the door panel or on the A piller.

All in all, amps are not absolutely NECESSARY for aftermarket speakers. You will get 100x better sound with an aftermarket speaker on deck power, the only thing you will lose is a little bit of bass.
Thank you. I went with the SPS-610 first. I want to make sure I can fit it to the door, if not off to the rear it'll go. I know anything will fit back there.

It will also give me a better understanding what I should do with the tweeter, when I pull the trigger on that set. Do I cut the metal triangle at the front of the window, or lower it where the smaller hole in the door is (and cut a hole in the door card)?

If that goes over well, I'll start looking at an amp! I never quite figured out where to fish stuff from the trunk into the car interior though. Once I figure that out, running a sub will be pretty simple since it makes sense to keep the amp in the trunk with the battery. No space confinements there.

Thanks for the advice. It was EXACTLY the type of advice I was looking for.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Hello Jake.

I just installed the Alpine CDE HD138 BT :

Along with the mini amp that alpine offers, KTP445:

I have focal speakers in the front and alpine sps-610 in the back.

What setting should I have the amp and radio on to get the best sound quality ?

Thanks
Did you get the KTP445 that plugs into the Alpines wire harness or the RCA's?

Originally Posted by Vee
Thank you. I went with the SPS-610 first. I want to make sure I can fit it to the door, if not off to the rear it'll go. I know anything will fit back there.

It will also give me a better understanding what I should do with the tweeter, when I pull the trigger on that set. Do I cut the metal triangle at the front of the window, or lower it where the smaller hole in the door is (and cut a hole in the door card)?

If that goes over well, I'll start looking at an amp! I never quite figured out where to fish stuff from the trunk into the car interior though. Once I figure that out, running a sub will be pretty simple since it makes sense to keep the amp in the trunk with the battery. No space confinements there.

Thanks for the advice. It was EXACTLY the type of advice I was looking for.
No prob Vee, Glad i could help!

Old 03-30-2013, 05:30 PM

Since this is a stereo thread, here is some of my most recent sub box ****
Dual fold on axis transmission line, High output, Amazing Sound quality

Attached Thumbnails Ask me them stereo questions!-photo2-1_zps2aa65d33-1_zps668ebf54.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ask me them stereo questions!