XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ask me them stereo questions!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by jake21
Did you get the KTP445 that plugs into the Alpines wire harness or the RCA!

Hi Jake, thanks for your help. It is plugged in at speaker level, not RCA.

Thanks !!

Old 04-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Hi Jake, thanks for your help. It is plugged in at speaker level, not RCA.

Thanks !!
Its hard to say on the settings. Every vehicle and set of speakers will sound different in different environments.

But! Here is a good starting point:

- Set the KTP445 gain to the HIGH setting

- Turn the Media Xpander on from the deck (this may or may not sound good just try it out)

- Set your Bass to +3, Mid to +3, and Treb to +3 then tune from there. (i highly recommend you dont turn the Bass setting up past +4, Mids and Treble can be turned up just fine)

- If the bass is distorting the speakers, Turn the High Pass Filter on to either 60hz or 80hz, whichever sounds better.

One thing i tell people is Sound Quality is how good it sounds to YOU, if it sounds good to You, thats all that matters

Tuning for sound quality is all trial and error. Use those starting points I listed above, grab a 6 pack, grab Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, and tune away.

By the way if anyone was wondering, Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon is in my opinion the BEST Sound Quality testing/tuning album. It covers the full audio spectrum and has amazing detail.

Last edited by jake21; 04-01-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,467 Likes on 3,220 Posts

I have a 2000 XK8, but I want to upgrade the stock stereo with a better stock one to keep the interior and controls intact. Is this feasible/possible/affordable or even worth the effort?

Old 04-21-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radio controls

The radio screen in my 1997 XK8 drop top is burned out (I think probably too much sun), but the radio and CD work fine. I have no radio manual, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to adjust the bass, treble, fader, etc. There don't seem to be any buttons or switches that do this (were they on the screen?). Help! thanks.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How can connect my galaxy note2 phone to my 1995 jaguar xjs?
I'm totally new with cars. please help me out!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguarlover
If you have a stock radio, just buy the cassette tape adapter that comes with an auxiliary cable.

If you have a different radio, you may want to let us know what it is.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I changed out my radio and installed a Jensen head unit. It has bluetooth streaming so I can stream music from my Ipod or HTC. It also has USB and SD Card inputs and an Ipod connection cable.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What would be the best setup for these xjs?Iwas thinking of a bose system possibly?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
If you have a stock radio, just buy the cassette tape adapter that comes with an auxiliary cable.

I have stock radio, but a tape is stuck in it since i bought it. Is there another way to do it?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,565 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Amazon.com: GOgroove FlexSMART X2 Wireless In-Car Bluetooth FM Transmitter with Charging, Music Control, and Hands-Free Calling for Android, iPhone, Blackberry, & Windows Smartphones: Car Electronics

Tune link Android Auto: Wireless Bluetooth Audio Car Kit FM Radio

There are always other ways.

There are other types of products as well. Basically Google bluetooth FM transmitter and see what comes up.

Preferably, you will want something that plugs into the antenna jack at the back of your radio.

If you want to go simpler, you could just go for a simple wireless FM transmitter, but I've never had good luck with those over any duration of time. The transmitter seems to get crummier over time to the point where its too staticky to listen to.

Like this (Belkin TuneCast FM Transmitter - All iPhone accessories from AT&T)

They stink. You want something that plugs into the antenna and takes over the signal when its on.

Someone else will chime in. I don't have one of these, but I know someone who uses it on their stock Saab radio to add satellite radio. Works great for them!

Old 04-30-2013, 04:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I have stock radio, but a tape is stuck in it since i bought it. Is there another way to do it?
There are a million ways to do things - here is what I have done

I have made speaker pods for the rear and mounted 8ohm 6" bass mid drivers, 8Ohm tweeters to mount (not done yet) and Alpine 4Ohm coaxial in the doors powered by a class AB Amplifier and a Jensen radio unit.

Attached Thumbnails Ask me them stereo questions!-dscn0537_zps44c3a007.jpg   Ask me them stereo questions!-dscn0539_zps65610229.jpg  
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Questions on the 04 xjr. Rear speakers do not work for the stereo, is there a place I should be looking. I went through the menus, and on the touch screen they indicate they are on, but no sound.
Is there a good replacement for the cd changer in the trunk? I bought the car used and the cassette is stuck in place and the changer is not working.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

I just installed an iSimple Tranzit IS77 plug-in FM transmitter (ie. plug into the antenna jack at the back of the radio), so I can connect my iPhone while keeping the stock look. You can set it up to connect to an iphone/ipod OR any device with an earphone jack (the usual 1/8inch), but not both. It charges the iphone/ipod while connected but not the other devices like yours.

It was about the same difficulty as installing a new head unit.

I'll post photos and what I learned in a new thread in a few days.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

Ok, forget the few days, I have posted the photos etc under the thread Playing iphone/ipod in XJS: done.

It goes without saying that this type of FM transmitter could go into any car with a cassette or CD head unit to give you an mp3 player connection.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry I haven't been around for a while guys, been super busy with things. Anyways Keep the questions comin!

Honesly, to get the full bluetooth functionality and decent sound, get an Aftermarket deck. By the time you end up installing all sorts of FM and Cassette adaptors and whatever else you will be in about the same price range as a new deck. Just go with an aftermarket deck and never have to worry about it again

Originally Posted by Vee

Not to be rude Vee, but PLEASEEE DO NOT DO THIS!! The sound is terrible and it can ruin your cassette player AND there is a VERY good possibility it will destroy your speakers... Cassettes players are VERY sensitive to Bass and will almost multiply the Bass it reads from the cassette 10fold, causing distortion and blowing your speakers.

Originally Posted by 88-xjsv12
What would be the best setup for these xjs?Iwas thinking of a bose system possibly?
Hard question to answer without any details. Bose isnt big into the aftermarket scene, and a funny saying in the Car Audio realm is "If it doesnt have High's and doesnt have Low's. Thats definately a Bose"

Originally Posted by pearlfisher
Questions on the 04 xjr. Rear speakers do not work for the stereo, is there a place I should be looking. I went through the menus, and on the touch screen they indicate they are on, but no sound.
Is there a good replacement for the cd changer in the trunk? I bought the car used and the cassette is stuck in place and the changer is not working.
Find an old speaker (car speaker, house speaker, any speaker) and connect it to the wires going to the "dead" speakers and see if you have sound. If you do, the speaker is Bad, if you dont, the amp/deck could have gone bad or the wire has been cut/shorted somewhere in between the speaker and the deck.

The only replacement cd changer would be an identical one that is in there.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 PM
Default Wicked Squelching in the stock stereo '89 XJ6 VDP

The stereo plays but within a short time it starts emitting very annoying squelching sounds. I'm guessing a wiring problem. Could it be a speaker problem also?

I'd like to replace the stereo with something MP3/iPod capable. Will a chain store like Car Toys or the like be able to diagnose this and do a good job with installation?

Old 06-03-2013, 12:58 PM

where do i plug in my 2 12 inch jl subwoofers can i just plug right into the door speakers our what?

Old 06-13-2013, 07:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CD changer

I've got a 1994 Alpine CD Changer that I want to put in my 1998 XJ8 W/H-K CD changer. Can this mate somehow?

Old 06-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Default Bluetooth no longer connecting.

Have just had my roof lining replaced (XK 2007) and now seem to have lost bluetooth connectivity to my phone - it is not finding the phone at all. All was working perfectly before.

Is this coincidence or is there a hidden module that could have been disturbed during the roof lining work?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CD Player

Hi Jake

I would like to install a CD player in a 1990 XJS V12 without removing the
the cassette player. I am trying to keep everything stock. Any ideas how
I can achieve that installation?
Thanks
Jim

Quick Reply: Ask me them stereo questions!