XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ask me them stereo questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp and fascia Q

Jake,
Nice of you to offer your expertise like this.
I have a 1992 XJ6 (equipment level Daimler) where I've replaced the original non-functioning radio unit with a used one bought from a Jaguar workshop. Unfortunately I can only hear sound from the subwoofer, and that is muffled. All other speakers are dead. Brought the unit back to the dealer who tells me that he checked that the unit was A-OK before selling it, and that there must be something in between the radio and the speakers that is faulty. Do you know if there is any amp stage or some other gizmo hidden somewhere on the way from the radio to the speakers? I sure can't find any, but who knows, after all it's a Jag.
I also bought a new Pioneer stereo but can't find any suitable fascia for a 1992 model. Tried Crutchfield, Nexxia and the lot. No go. Do you know of any or any other solution?
Any input on this highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Jake,

I havea 2003 S-type sport with the stock non NAV head unit. Is there a way to hook my Samsung Note 2 into it? It does not have a cassette only the CD player.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:08 PM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey Jake, hate to pile on the questions but here's mine:

Where can I get a CD/radio for my SIII XJ6 (standard single DIN) that has great sound quality and power to drive aftermarket speakers, yet is period specific and looks like it belongs in the car. It seems like all of today's radios are very flashy - I want something more reserved. I saw some Nakamichi radios out there. Although some are available new, it looks like they've been out of production for a while, and have moderate radio reception. However, the lighting looks like a match!

Thanks, -Dave

Old 08-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know where I can get an Audio System Handbook for a 2001 XK8? Thanks

Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 570 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by FastKat
Hey Jake, hate to pile on the questions but here's mine:

Where can I get a CD/radio for my SIII XJ6 (standard single DIN) that has great sound quality and power to drive aftermarket speakers, yet is period specific and looks like it belongs in the car. It seems like all of today's radios are very flashy - I want something more reserved. I saw some Nakamichi radios out there. Although some are available new, it looks like they've been out of production for a while, and have moderate radio reception. However, the lighting looks like a match!

Thanks, -Dave
I'll jump in here....Dave I don't think you can find a radio like that. This is as close as I have found RetroSoundUSA.com - Classic Radio Systems, Speakers, and Accessories

Old 08-18-2013, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My radio plays for a while turn the sound turns itself down. Any ideas?

Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by rgcurrin
Does anyone know where I can get an Audio System Handbook for a 2001 XK8? Thanks
Welcome to the forum Bob,

This the XJS section.

The Vehicle Document Set which includes all the handbooks for your model is available for download in PDF format through the XK8/XKR 'HOW 'TO' section:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-2003-a-67827/

I've also moved your post about tensioners to a new Intro thread of its own:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ioners-101321/

Graham

Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Don't know the model but I have a sony from the 90s in my car. It has been randomly muting and since last week has gotten much worse. I can't listen to the stereo at all now as it will mute and unsure every 20 seconds or so. Any ideas?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
Don't know the model but I have a sony from the 90s in my car. It has been randomly muting and since last week has gotten much worse. I can't listen to the stereo at all now as it will mute and unsure every 20 seconds or so. Any ideas?
Does it mute completely ie no sound at all or does it just lower the volume. Is it connected directly to the speakers or through an amplifier?

Is it scratchy when it does this? if so could be a dirty volume/balance/tone control pot. This is very common in older amplifiers. quick dirty fix is to turn the knobs full up and down a few times this will clean the wiper (to some extent)

Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
Does it mute completely ie no sound at all or does it just lower the volume. Is it connected directly to the speakers or through an amplifier?

Is it scratchy when it does this? if so could be a dirty volume/balance/tone control pot. This is very common in older amplifiers. quick dirty fix is to turn the knobs full up and down a few times this will clean the wiper (to some extent)
my stereo has a mute function that it uses and displays mute on screen.
It does not have pots on it at all, only buttons.
I'm pretty sure it is just in place of the stock setup and has a built in amp, if i recall it says 4x20 somewhere on the front.

Its not scratchy at all, its like I hit the mute button myself in the middle of playing music.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Default blow horn - radio went off

I have a 1997 XK8. I just blew the horn and the radio stopped working? Am I nuts? I checked again, and the radio works, but not the CD (which was playing at the time I blew the horn).

Last edited by jerryb2339; 08-30-2013 at 08:16 AM. Reason: More info
Old 08-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jerryb2339
I have a 1997 XK8. I just blew the horn and the radio stopped working? Am I nuts?
Does that mean the radio has no power? if so check the fuses.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
my stereo has a mute function that it uses and displays mute on screen.
It does not have pots on it at all, only buttons.
I'm pretty sure it is just in place of the stock setup and has a built in amp, if i recall it says 4x20 somewhere on the front.

Its not scratchy at all, its like I hit the mute button myself in the middle of playing music.
Sounds like an issue inside the Sony What model is it? do you have a manual.

BTW. I did my apprenticeship in the HIFI industry with Marantz it was nearly 30 years ago but electronics is still my day job.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some questions. I just bought a 2005 s type with Nav. The previous owner told me it had bluetooth and provided me with a book but further research tells me they were wrong. According to Jag it is wired and everything just is missing the bluetooth module. I want to know if there is a aftermarket bluetooth modual that will work with the oem nav and wirring that is currently in there. Also was wondering if their is an Aux in on the back of the unit to run a cable for Ipod.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:52 PM

OK ... 2006 XJ VDP w / Alpine premium system ... navigation, Bluetooth, single and multi CD

Here's the question, how do you clear out the phone memory .... to allow a new setup?

Thanks Rick

Old 09-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just picked up a 96 XJS and the previous owner was clearly a little nuts - put in a whole new stereo - great big amp in the trunk, additional satellite/xm thing with its own antenna and little controller, looks like he wired the stereo for his ipod, etc etc.... The CD changer is still in the back but the original stereo is looong gone. It's an absolute mess of wires front and back and, of course, none of it works. I'd just as soon get it all removed as make it work and put something simple in - but I'm afraid to dive into this myself and don't really imagine anyone but a real jag nut would be able to make heads or tails of what's what - even just to get it pulled. Any thoughts on how I might proceed? Im in Miami FL FYI

Old 10-22-2013, 10:10 PM

Here's a question that probably does not deserve it's own thread. I have a set of nice 4" speakers in my front XJ6 door panels. I want to fill in the lows that are clearly lacking with the 4" speakers.

My original plan was to mount a set of 6x9 speakers OR a single 8" or 10" sub in the rear parcel, either powered with an amp. That seems like a lot of work, and I'm not sure how good it will sound with so much coming from the rear and so little (relatively) coming from the front speakers, so...

How about a small powered subwoofer under the rear seat? There are a few out there by reputable companies that will fit, including Kenwood, Clarion, Kicker, and Focal. They have 6.75" to 8" subs, and have RMS power from 75 to 150 watts. They are compact and look pretty simple to install, and close to the front soundstage.

I'm not after booming bass. I want something that sounds natural and well-rounded. What do you think!? Is this a reasonable/good solution?

Not sure if it matters, but I just ordered materials to treat the inside of my car with anti-resonance tiles, closed cell foam, and mass loaded vinyl.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member

Car sound is the most difficult of all due to the acoustics inside the car. I think as a simple solution the slimline active sub is a good choice. One mistake a lot of people make is in the more speakers the better so even more must be perfect, this is a recipe for a sound that has lots of missing frequencies especially in the mid/bass.

To give you a place to start here is what I do in my installations.

Use X-overs to keep each pair of speakers to a separate frequency range.

For example (in my car) I have a 50wpc (into 4ohms) class AB amp (my amp has separate internal HP and LP filters for each channel.

Rear speakers are 8ohm 6.5” mid/bass drivers with frequency response to 40Hz, mounted in an Aperiodic enclosure in the original location but angled slightly up and forward (so I don’t get cancellation with them firing at each other). They are Xover at about 500Hz (ATM because of my fronts),

Front speaker (ATM until I can find decent 8ohm 4” mids that I like) are Alpine 4” coaxial 4ohm. These have been mounted solid in the door and Xover at 500Hz.

The idea of the Xover for each set of speakers is to prevent peaks and troughs typically caused by multiple speakers. So before you spending a fortune on sound insulation material look at the specification of all the speakers in your car and then determine if you need to split the frequencies. This can be quite easily with a couple of $ of capacitors.

I hope this gives you a place to start. I am happy to answer any questions so post back.

The following users liked this post:
AllanG (10-23-2013)
Old 10-23-2013, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the info!

I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. Right now, I have a set of 4" Focal coaxial speakers in the front (what a terrible sin - French speakers in a British car!) and the stock 4" speakers in the rear. I understand that you want the better speakers up front, so I'm not sure there's much of a point in upgrading the rear 4" speakers - is there?

I was thinking of using the crossover controls in the head unit to limit the lower frequencies going to the 4" speakers, maybe somewhere between 90-120hz. I suppose that's something I'll have to figure out once the sub is setup.

What is an "active" subwoofer? Are most/all of the slim underseat subs active?

I think I'm going to proceed with the sound insulation. I already ordered the materials and I get a lot of engine/trans/road/exhaust noise in the cabin. That was my primary target - having a better sounding stereo to me is a secondary benefit. Also, I've heard that reducing noise will help pretty much any car stereo system sound better.

Regarding the underseat sub - there's a Kicker unit listing at $299. It's pricey, but its getting really good reviews. Then again, getting a separate amp, subs, and box would be way more than that.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

An active subwoofer is one with an amplifier built in. Make sure the sub has a LP filter. I would set it at 200Hz and tweak it from there. by ear, use a musical track like Money from Pink Floyd, or another you are familiar with.

Quick Reply: Ask me them stereo questions!