XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Ask me them stereo questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

There is an Alpine stereo installed in my 89 xjs that looses memory when power is off. Is the culprit in the ignition wiring to the radio ?? or other ??
thanks Ken

Old 10-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

More than likely. The YELLOW wire is usually the one that goes to the battery and always has 12v applied and the RED to ignition. If the YELLOW wire is wired to the ignition the unit will lose its memory when it is turned off.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:58 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks,... I will check it out
ken

Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Question

Hello,

I have a 1994 XJS with the factory sound system - AM/FM/Cassette/CD Changer. The CD changer recently stopped reading which may (hopefully) just be a cleaning issue. However, it has sparked a question. Is there a viable way to "replace" the CD Changer with a MP3 alternative? iPod harness or even a physical MP3 replacement for the changer itself. And of course, I wish to be able to operate it from the original Alpine head unit! Any thoughts???

Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

There are units out there that can replace the CD stacker but from what I have seen they are vehicle specific and Jaguar was not listed. Would be easier and cheaper to replace the head unit with a new one. You could try cleaning the laser unit on your stacker. Use Isopropyl Alcohol and a cotton bud BE VERY CAREFUL and use light pressure and let the Alcohol do the work, DO NOT scrub the laser. There will also be sensors (or micro switch) for cassette loaded make sure these are clean/working, check the plugs are seated these become dirty over time. I used to fix CD players in the early 80's and they can be a PITA to get working.

The following users liked this post:
ktrumper (10-31-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by ktrumper
Hello,

I have a 1994 XJS with the factory sound system - AM/FM/Cassette/CD Changer. The CD changer recently stopped reading which may (hopefully) just be a cleaning issue. However, it has sparked a question. Is there a viable way to "replace" the CD Changer with a MP3 alternative? iPod harness or even a physical MP3 replacement for the changer itself. And of course, I wish to be able to operate it from the original Alpine head unit! Any thoughts???
In general, the industry is not into changers anymore. Alpine no longer makes their MP3 changer and if you find a used one, you'll still need to change the radio because of interfacing differences.

But, there are at least two options that allow you to keep the '94 XJS radio.
If you don't mind an FM Modulator unit, there's a 10-CD MP3 changer on eBay right now, brand is "Duraband". As you may know, this technology type plays through a preselected FM radio station, so it "tee's" into the antenna cable in your OEM radio. Quality may be limited to whatever that is on the XJS stock radio, in FM band.

But this one here should be far better. If you have an i-Pod, Crutchfield carries an i-Pod adapter that works via your existing CD changer connector, including your stock radio. When you select "Changer" on the radio, it will operate your i-Pod instead, along with all the track/tag info displayed. The adapter box is $99.00 and you'll also need an adapter cable specific for the '94 XJS (also sold by Crutchfield, dunno the price). Of course, music storage capacity wise there's just no comparison. How's 6 humble CD's vs. 1700 CD's?

Cheers,

ktrumper (10-31-2013)
Old 10-30-2013, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have a good replacment for the radio itself for a 99 xk8? Id like to have bluetooth in the car. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2013, 11:58 AM

Reinaldo,

Thanks again for the reply. I went to the Crutchfield web site and found nothing related to our vehicles for the iPod conversion. Is this something you have done? If so, do you recall exactly what the parts were? My deck is the AM/FM/Cass/CD Changer and also has the Weather Band option. Is this your deck?

Appreciate any additional insight. I would prefer to maintain the original feel inside the vehicle.

Old 10-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member

Reinaldo,

Thanks again for the reply. I went to the Crutchfield web site and found nothing related to our vehicles for the iPod conversion. Is this something you have done? If so, do you recall exactly what the parts were? My deck is the AM/FM/Cass/CD Changer and also has the Weather Band option. Is this your deck?

Appreciate any additional insight. I would prefer to maintain the original feel inside the vehicle.
Bummer that I didn't save the site place because I was at Crutchfield yesterday exploring this and they asked for car brand, model and year and the response was yes and displaying the unit. I'll try to find it again.

BTW, I no longer have the OEM radio. I have a Kenwood head unit now with a Kenwood "Music Keg" (40 GB hard drive) in place of the changer with only MP3 files. And, even this unit, Kenwood no longer makes it either because nowadays music storage is in very tiny and large capacity devices. Anything bigger than an i-pod is ancient technology, therefore hard to find.
I take it that you prefer not to go FM Modulator?

Cheers,

Old 10-31-2013, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

Reinaldo,

I found it again, but it won't show a link to "Factory stereo i_pod adapters".See if you can work your way to specifics from below link.

Tools - iPod® Installation Guide

Maybe FM Modulators are the only way to keep your original radio.
Too bad because, otherwise, the sky is the limit...

Cheers,

Old 11-01-2013, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member

There are a myriad of head decks out there that are reasonably priced. If you do decide to replace it make sure it has rear USB, then you can mount the USB stick or HDD out of sight.

If you stick with Alpine you might not even need to rewire it if it uses the same connector. Talk to your local Alpine dealer and they will be able to advise you.

ktrumper (11-05-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
There are a myriad of head decks out there that are reasonably priced. If you do decide to replace it make sure it has rear USB, then you can mount the USB stick or HDD out of sight.

If you stick with Alpine you might not even need to rewire it if it uses the same connector. Talk to your local Alpine dealer and they will be able to advise you.
The CD changer cable type found on the XJS, called "M-Bus", was abandoned by Alpine a long time ago. Today, all Alpine radios that have a CD changer use only the "Ai-Net" cord, found, for instance, on the X308's "premium" system. Now, if the owner insists in staying stock, luckily, there is such a thing as an M-bus to Ai-Net adapter:

Google Image Result for http://www.alpine-europe.com/fileadmin/images/MainNavigation/Products/Product_pics/16_Accessoires/05_Changer/KCA130B/productpic_KCA130B_01.jpg

So, this brings me back to the original inquiry. With this adapter any Alpine changer could be used, but what about an MP3 changer? Even when physically possible to connect this changer to the factory radio, I'm not sure where the MP3 files get converted to the standard analog music signal. If this happens inside the changer, then the signal that arrives at the factory (Alpine) radio is recognized by the radio and good to go, but if Alpine design is to convert MP3 data to analog rather at the head unit, then the existing OEM Alpine radio won't know what to do with MP3 compressed data.

In regards to the USB stick location, my 2 cents. Updating your music library is something that never ends; you always want to, either add a new CD or song, or alter the order of albums or tracks, or even plug in a second USB stick that you may have loaded. But you won't be looking forward to do these updates if doing so implies removing the head unit every time. This is why, on my XJR, I decided to bring the rear USB access to the front, right next to the radio. Unfortunately, the Kenwood unit currently on my XJS is old enough that USB ports were not yet available.

But, yes, memory sticks are phenomenal, the best venue when it comes to music storage, and they're getting so cheap that nowadays you can afford NOT TO COMPRESS the MP3 files, thus matching the origional CD music detail.

ktrumper (11-05-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Default Another View

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll have to do a little research on the Alpine help line...assuming they have one for the public.

There are two reasons why I would like to keep and use the original deck. One, it keeps the interior original. But two and probably the biggest reason why I'm reluctant to go aftermarket, is I don't want something that looks terribly out of place and certainly do not wish to see all colors of the rainbow blaring at me at night. If there was an alternative allowing a color match and one which truly worked with the dimmer system, I would be all over it. Any thoughts? HD radio, Sirius, MP3, etc. I do not care to have a CD option necessarily.

Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member

My 89 XJS did not come with an Alpine unit, It looks like Eurovox but is branded Jaguar. Alpine are an aftermarket manufacturer so it might not be the original unit (this is market dependent) or could be a dealer fit upgrade.

Most of the good brands these days have user configurable lighting colour. Digital Radio (DAB) is just starting to find its way into cars here in Australia, the problem is it only works in certain areas (here). For me as long as the unit has Bluetooth streaming I can can connect my Android phone (or IPhone) and play music.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll have to do a little research on the Alpine help line...assuming they have one for the public.

There are two reasons why I would like to keep and use the original deck. One, it keeps the interior original. But two and probably the biggest reason why I'm reluctant to go aftermarket, is I don't want something that looks terribly out of place and certainly do not wish to see all colors of the rainbow blaring at me at night. If there was an alternative allowing a color match and one which truly worked with the dimmer system, I would be all over it. Any thoughts? HD radio, Sirius, MP3, etc. I do not care to have a CD option necessarily.
Most XJS' pictures that I see and that include an after market radio to me they look just fine, with some that look really nice. I just can't see a well chosen radio being terribly out of place. When I look at the dash of an XJS, particularly a facelift example, I don't see an old, aged car, but rather a well achieved and well balanced environment and a different looking radio is not going to throw it off. In fact, I see many exotics of similar period featuring a modern radio in their dash, some even with the flip out TFT display. But, if it is your choice to stay stock regardless, then you know the answer that was discussed previously in this thread. One justifiable reason to stay stock would be if you're planning to enter the car in future Concourse d'Elegance, or any judged competition; if that's the case, then you have no choice, but to stay stock.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:41 PM

The Alpine unit in my XJS is branded Jaguar. I'm not concerned about having the Jaguar branding necessarily, but if I change, it will need to be a quality brand. As mentioned, I do not wish to have a deck which looks out of place. Whether it's due to bright colors, or "strange" looking knobs.

If I could find a unit with the ability to match the lighted color, work with the dimmer and have modern features such as mentioned earlier, I would do it. A few years back I found a great Clarion unit for my son's car which met all of the above and then some, but it is no longer available.

I'll keep looking around and if/when I find a few examples, I will gladly share with another post.

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey there Jag community! Its been quite some time since i have been back here but, IM BACK! Ask me them questions!

Originally Posted by jaguarxtype
where do i plug in my 2 12 inch jl subwoofers can i just plug right into the door speakers our what?
You will need an amplifier to power them and some form of Line Level signal source. Your subs need ALOT more power that what is being sent to your speakers

Originally Posted by 1951sms
I've got a 1994 Alpine CD Changer that I want to put in my 1998 XJ8 W/H-K CD changer. Can this mate somehow?
Nope..

Originally Posted by amcness
Have just had my roof lining replaced (XK 2007) and now seem to have lost bluetooth connectivity to my phone - it is not finding the phone at all. All was working perfectly before.

Is this coincidence or is there a hidden module that could have been disturbed during the roof lining work?

Thanks in advance.
The bluetooth antenna may have been located in that general area. Make sure they didnt unplug or cut any wires up there

Originally Posted by JimmyC
Hi Jake

I would like to install a CD player in a 1990 XJS V12 without removing the
the cassette player. I am trying to keep everything stock. Any ideas how
I can achieve that installation?
Thanks
Jim
Depends on if you want to keep your cassette player functional

If not, you can still have the lights and all turn on with the car.

Basically you could "hide" a new cd player somewhere in the vehicle (glovebox would be a good place) and that up to power and your speakers, maybe even route a USB cable to the center console!

Jumpin' Jag Flash (11-12-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
my stereo has a mute function that it uses and displays mute on screen.
It does not have pots on it at all, only buttons.
I'm pretty sure it is just in place of the stock setup and has a built in amp, if i recall it says 4x20 somewhere on the front.

Its not scratchy at all, its like I hit the mute button myself in the middle of playing music.
Is the stereo stock or aftermarket?

Originally Posted by jerryb2339
I have a 1997 XK8. I just blew the horn and the radio stopped working? Am I nuts? I checked again, and the radio works, but not the CD (which was playing at the time I blew the horn).
Definitely check the fuses, stereos are often times tied into odd circuits in our cars

Originally Posted by howie713
I have some questions. I just bought a 2005 s type with Nav. The previous owner told me it had bluetooth and provided me with a book but further research tells me they were wrong. According to Jag it is wired and everything just is missing the bluetooth module. I want to know if there is a aftermarket bluetooth modual that will work with the oem nav and wirring that is currently in there. Also was wondering if their is an Aux in on the back of the unit to run a cable for Ipod.
If you think it is wired for bluetooth and know where the connections are, just buy an OEM module, unfortunately there arent any aftermarket modules that will function anywhere near acceptable.

Originally Posted by ksjaguar
I just picked up a 96 XJS and the previous owner was clearly a little nuts - put in a whole new stereo - great big amp in the trunk, additional satellite/xm thing with its own antenna and little controller, looks like he wired the stereo for his ipod, etc etc.... The CD changer is still in the back but the original stereo is looong gone. It's an absolute mess of wires front and back and, of course, none of it works. I'd just as soon get it all removed as make it work and put something simple in - but I'm afraid to dive into this myself and don't really imagine anyone but a real jag nut would be able to make heads or tails of what's what - even just to get it pulled. Any thoughts on how I might proceed? Im in Miami FL FYI
Really all you need to do is an oem radio for that model. Power, ground, and ignition to the radio, and your wires for the speakers. Plus the a pigtail of the OEM plug for the oem radio.

Originally Posted by FastKat
Here's a question that probably does not deserve it's own thread. I have a set of nice 4" speakers in my front XJ6 door panels. I want to fill in the lows that are clearly lacking with the 4" speakers.

My original plan was to mount a set of 6x9 speakers OR a single 8" or 10" sub in the rear parcel, either powered with an amp. That seems like a lot of work, and I'm not sure how good it will sound with so much coming from the rear and so little (relatively) coming from the front speakers, so...

How about a small powered subwoofer under the rear seat? There are a few out there by reputable companies that will fit, including Kenwood, Clarion, Kicker, and Focal. They have 6.75" to 8" subs, and have RMS power from 75 to 150 watts. They are compact and look pretty simple to install, and close to the front soundstage.

I'm not after booming bass. I want something that sounds natural and well-rounded. What do you think!? Is this a reasonable/good solution?

Not sure if it matters, but I just ordered materials to treat the inside of my car with anti-resonance tiles, closed cell foam, and mass loaded vinyl.
a pair of 8" or even 6" woofer drivers in the rear with a lowpass filter set somewhere below 120hz will give you some good lowend. Sound below roughly 120hz is tough for your brain to figure out where it is coming from as it has longer waveforms, bass "fills" listening environments.
I dont recomend those "underseat subs" they sound godawful and are VERY pitchy. Those Focals deserve something a better

Old 11-07-2013, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by kenatofc
There is an Alpine stereo installed in my 89 xjs that looses memory when power is off. Is the culprit in the ignition wiring to the radio ?? or other ??
thanks Ken
Hook up Yellow wire to constant power and you are set!

Old 11-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sony xr 7180 dead

The sony xr 7180 in my 84 xjs was working good, then it died.no infothe antenna doesn't workeither. I pulled the unit and it has ignition power. have check fuses also. is this unit dead? Or is it a wiring issue? Is there another unit that plugs in?

Quick Reply: Ask me them stereo questions!