XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Audio Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 03:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audio Speaker Replacement

Speakers in my 1994 XJS need replacing. Front door is not a problem - but how does one get the speakers out of the rear seat panels.
I have had the interior apart and it is obvious that the speakers will not come out of the back side of the panel.
Does the escutcheon trims and or black grill come off? If so how? Tried to get the exterior speaker trims off but was afraid of destroying the grille and chrome trim
Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

Rgards

LVSteve

The following users liked this post:
dborthwick (09-05-2021)
Old 09-05-2021, 05:32 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

You have to remove the panels that the speakers are mounted to, and get to them from the rear. There will be plastic clips that you'll have to pop off. How to get them back on is a good question.

I highly recommend JBL Stadium 620C if you're looking to swap out what you have. I would also research the Alpine KTP-445U amplifier. It's a very simple amp to install.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:16 PM
Default Speaker Replacement

Thank you for your response and recommendations.

I have had the rear panels of the vehicle off.
The speakers are encased into the frame of the panel assembly, with the speakers 70% covered with the hard plastic assembly of the panel.
The speakers are fastened into the assembly with 3 nut/bolt hardware attachment points.
I have taken the nuts off at the back of the panel believing that the speakers would then be removable from the front of the interior trim assembly - but the speakers would not budge.
As to the clips you referred to, there are none visible - only 3 bolts coming through the trim panel.

I thought about cutting the hard plastic enclosure off around the speakers, but i still would not be able to get the speaker off the panel as the bolts would continue to be inaccessible until the grilles and chrome trims were removed. I tried removing these trims, but they too would not budge.

I am not a seasoned mechanic and I do not know if I am missing something obvious - any additional insights you may have would be welcomed.

Regards,
LVSteve

Old 09-05-2021, 10:13 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Can you share a pic, I don’t have a relevant one.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:05 AM
Default 1994 XJS Speaker(s) Replacement

Hello again.

I wish to once again thank you for your responses to my post regarding the replacement of the rear audio speakers in my 1994 XJS Convertible. Here is how I resolved the issues:

I went to the local Jaguar dealer and they assisted by looking up their service information.

The hard plastic enclosure on the back of the rear seat panels in reality was designed to separate into 2 pieces for speaker servicing.
However after 27 years of heat/cold environments, the component delineation of the two pieces was barely noticeable unless pointed out.
On the back of the panels the plastic enclosures have 6 buttons/grommets (these are the pieces that have sort of disappeared over time).
With a flathead screwdriver you must pop the grommets out.
Unfortunately, these grommets are made of hard plastic, and pretty mush shatter or break in half upon removal - pieces are very brittle.
Once the grommets are removed the speaker enclosure is free and you may move forward with speaker replacement.
Speaker replacement required minor modifications to the plastic panel about 15 minutes per panel - (drill/needle nose pliers/shears)
I ultimately ended up reattaching the enclosure pieces with clear silicone at selected points on the panel, then held the enclosure together with duct tape to ensure the panels did not separate.

FYI - Front speakers in doors were an easy swap - about 25 minutes for each door. Just be careful when removing the interior panels as the plastic grommets that attach the panel to the door frame are delicate.

The following users liked this post:
petemohr (09-09-2021)