XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Automatic Shifter Stuck in Park, Kinda!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 11:17 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Automatic Shifter Stuck in Park, Kinda!

1993 ZF Box. Step on brake and can move the shifter sometimes other times stuck in park . Ignition on, car not started, step on brake hear whring sound for about two seconds. May shift; may not.
Feel this is an electrical problem and not transmission. Trying to determine if it is the brake system switch or the module on the brake pedal.
Would like your opinion on problem.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:25 PM

Followed the following shifting procedure: Ignition to II or started motor, pressed brake pedal (Wrrring sound) shift to reverse or drive

Took the bezel off and did heavy lubrication to the upper shift mechanism. Shifting improved except for the occasional sticking in PARK. Still have the low volume WHRRRRing sound for a few seconds. I don't feel confident that I solved the problem

Looking for an opinion and maybe an answer.

Last edited by afterburner1; 04-15-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 847 Likes on 529 Posts

After the fake 'sudden acceleration' claims manufacturers started installing Park Lock switches that required you to have your foot on the brake in order to shift out of park. On our '95 VDP, the switch many times doesn't work if you first start the car, then put your foot on the brake. However, if you first put your foot on the brake, then start the car it works fine. Not sure why, but it works.

Give putting your foot on the brake first, then starting the car a try.

The following users liked this post:
afterburner1 (04-17-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 07:26 PM

After lubing, about eight hours, the gear shift works extraordinarily well. It did catch a few times but I found that if I bring it out of park by guiding it to the right there is no lockup. I have not tried the "brake first start last (BFSL) 'cause I was in a closed garage, but will try in A.M.
I would recommend lubing the shift mechanism and be careful removing the bezel because the sport switch must come out with the bezel. It is clipped into the base. I used a flat screwdriver (turnavis) under the switch not under the bezel.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:42 AM

Tried the BFSL this AM but noticed no difference. Moving the shift lever to the right seems to avoid locking. Thought the Whrrring sound was the fuel pump, but since it only happens when I press the brake pedal I think it is the rotary relay that fits direcly to the transmission. I don't want to borrow trouble so I am not going to pursue the matter further. However, I did put a Phillip's screw driver in the glove box in case of an emergence release
Thanks for your imput