XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Auxiliary cooling fan "missing"

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Auxiliary cooling fan "missing"

The 87 XJS that I purchased a couple of weeks ago seems to be missing it's auxiliary cooling fan. It has the bracket and the hole in the shroud but the fan itself is awol. This seems very strange to me as I don't understand why someone would remove it. Did all these cars come with such an electric fan or were some produced without it?

The car runs a little warm when sitting in traffic, but cools down when you move for a while. This tells me that it needs the aux. fan, but again can't understand why it's missing.

I thought I read somewhere that you could use a fan from a different vehicle, does anyone know which vehicle's fans might interchange as I would prefer to pick one up at a wrecker.

Also, I don't see any wiring in the area that looks disconnected. Any ideas what I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,242 Likes on 5,428 Posts

There should be a fan there. Any decent quality aftermarket fan will be OK. It is triggered from the thermal switch on the water pump inlet. The wiring should be there still, along the top panel above the radiator, but if not, just take a feed from the firewall post and rig up a relay to switch the fan from the thermal switch.

The wires to the thermal switch are mainly green, the two to the fan I have forgotton their colours, but they should be there taped off somewhere. If you need their colours i can take a look.

If you have aircon, then wiring the fan to come on with the aircon is a very good idea.

Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 06-19-2013 at 05:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Big_Walleye (06-20-2013)
Old 06-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Just an update on my missing auxiliary fan. I went to a local wrecker with measuring tape in hand and started looking under every hood. I found a fan that would fit my shroud in a Honda Civic of all things. I bought the fan and the shroud for $25 and took them home.

I had to fabricate a mounting bracket using the mounting portion of the Civic shroud, a little sheet metal, some mig welds, drilled 3 holes and added 3 bolts.

I found the existing wiring for the fan on the top of the shroud. Wiring it in was very simple and now the fan works like it should. It comes on with the air conditioning compressor and as soon as the temp gauge reaches the N.

The car stays much cooler in traffic now so I think it was $25 well spent.