XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Battery advice wanted please

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 2,663 Posts
Default Battery advice wanted please

Hi

As I am intending to put my 1989 XJS 5.3 V12 Auto back on the road after an 8 year layup, I am going to need a new battery and nearly made a very expensive mistake!

An online retailer UK guys may be familiar with, who it has to be said are excellent in every possible way, was listing a choice of 3 batteries for the V12 XJS.

Two of these were 11in X 7in X 7in and the other was 10in X 7in X 7in (approx)

So I penciled in a premium 11in X 7in X 7inch in the event that I managed to get the XJS up and running by using the Exide battery off my Merc.

They do advise you to measure the size so I did, and was quite surprised to find that it wouldn't fit, as it was an inch too long to go in the holder.

The 10in X 7in X 7in long one that was the right size was almost £100! which is roughly about the same as the cost of insuring the car!

Which IMO is far too much for a battery however good it is, as I'm only intending to use the Jag from April to October.

I thought the Exide battery on my Merc might fit, in which case I would have probably bought another one like it but because of the shape of the top of the battery, it catches on the top of the holding frame and so you can't clamp it down.

So my question for you guys and possibly UK guys only, as USA might have different spec is:

What make of Battery and Amp Hours etc do you find most suitable for your V12 XJS and how much did you pay?

Also the name of the place you bought it would be appreciated.

I know you get what you pay for but I don't want to spend a fortune on something like this and think that £50 - £60 would be about right.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,074 Likes on 1,715 Posts

I get mine from motor factors rather than general outlets; I think that I paid about £60 for the last but I can't tell you what it is as I'm away from the car until next Wednesday.
I get my big boat batteries from them aswell and they run in a lot cheaper than Halfords or similar.
I also get wiper blades at about £4 a pair instead of £17 for the Bosch ones.
Where are you in the UK?

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (03-15-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,376 Likes on 803 Posts
Default here's an idea

Here in the USA batteries have recently gotten real expensive too.

I don't know about the UK but here in 'merica I can usually find decent batteries at my local auto recycling center. They test them and put them on the side for resale before dismantling a vehicle. It's a good option if you just need a year or two out of it. Sometimes you find a good one still under warranty. It's a total gamble though. Good luck!

Last edited by icsamerica; 03-15-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

XJS batteries, I've been told, and horrifically expensive, and likely will cost as much as your annual insurance premium. Partly why I've had mine out and being charged and load tested and am holding my breath to see if it will start my girl back up - I just don't want to spend the ghastly sums on a new one.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I don't think anyone has a preference on CCA. Why wouldn't you use factory specs for a battery???

I went to interstate and they gave me the right battery. It was supposed to be $175 and they messed up, selling it for $100.

I think the CCA is around 650 but i could be totally wrong. You pay a lot for that vent tube.

My new battery was flared at the edges on the bottom because it was designed to work with a battery hold down (bottom clamping type) so I had to file the edge of it to make it fit.

My battery looks brand new, keeping them in the trunk is brilliant.

100 pounds sounds pretty spot on man. I'd imagine they are normally around 75 pounds if batteries usually cost what they do here, so the extra 25 quid shouldn't surprise you with the jag

Old 03-15-2014, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Here in the USA batteries have recently gotten real expensive too.

I don't know about the UK but here in 'merica I can usually find decent batteries at my local auto recycling center. They test them and put them on the side for resale before dismasting a vehicle. It's a good option if you just need a year or two out of it. Sometimes you find a good one still under warranty. It's a total gamble though. Good luck!
Hi I think I have probably used up my 'nine lives' already! and so I won't be gambling with any secondhand batteries.

Breaking down at the side of the road for the sake of about £60 would just be plain crazy but I take your point.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by gkazimir
XJS batteries, I've been told, and horrifically expensive, and likely will cost as much as your annual insurance premium. Partly why I've had mine out and being charged and load tested and am holding my breath to see if it will start my girl back up - I just don't want to spend the ghastly sums on a new one.
Tell me about it!

£100 for a battery is extreme to say the least but when you are driving around in a car worth several thousand pounds, it doesn't pay to 'spoil the ship for a half penneth of tar'

Old 03-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
I don't think anyone has a preference on CCA. Why wouldn't you use factory specs for a battery???

I went to interstate and they gave me the right battery. It was supposed to be $175 and they messed up, selling it for $100.

I think the CCA is around 650 but i could be totally wrong. You pay a lot for that vent tube.

My new battery was flared at the edges on the bottom because it was designed to work with a battery hold down (bottom clamping type) so I had to file the edge of it to make it fit.

My battery looks brand new, keeping them in the trunk is brilliant.

100 pounds sounds pretty spot on man. I'd imagine they are normally around 75 pounds if batteries usually cost what they do here, so the extra 25 quid shouldn't surprise you with the jag
Hi Sidescrollin

When you drive a Jag 'they seem to see you coming' as we say! the price of everything just seems to go up but I think I've got it sussed out now, by going for a 3 year guarantee instead of a 4 year guarantee.

Its exactly the same battery but way cheaper! and in any event I'd rather have a new battery every 3 years rather than a 4 year one that is hanging on by its fingernails.

What say you?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Sidescrollin

When you drive a Jag 'they seem to see you coming' as we say! the price of everything just seems to go up but I think I've got it sussed out now, by going for a 3 year guarantee instead of a 4 year guarantee.

Its exactly the same battery but way cheaper! and in any event I'd rather have a new battery every 3 years rather than a 4 year one that is hanging on by its fingernails.

What say you?
The typical lifespan of a battery can range from (usually) 3-5 years. A price difference in a guarantee between 3 and 4 is stupid. Especially if they price is large enough that it would pay for a new battery at 3 years for the most part.

As long as you drive it regularly and make sure the charging system is operating normally you should have no problems. If you only drive it for half the year, charge it fully and completely unplug it. Leaving a battery partially discharged will sulfate the plates.

I replace my battery in 2010 and I've never even needed to replace any water in it. Keeping it in the trunk keeps it in better condition overall

orangeblossom (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gents batteries have increased greatly in price due to China cornering the world market of lead.
They are the biggest users of lead by several factors over the USA.

Lead in the last five years has gone up 400 percent on the world market.

Welcome to the future.

orangeblossom (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
The typical lifespan of a battery can range from (usually) 3-5 years. A price difference in a guarantee between 3 and 4 is stupid. Especially if they price is large enough that it would pay for a new battery at 3 years for the most part.

As long as you drive it regularly and make sure the charging system is operating normally you should have no problems. If you only drive it for half the year, charge it fully and completely unplug it. Leaving a battery partially discharged will sulfate the plates.

I replace my battery in 2010 and I've never even needed to replace any water in it. Keeping it in the trunk keeps it in better condition overall
Hi Sidescrollin

I 100% agree with what you say, I have found a Battery with a 3 year guarantee for just under £50!

The money I save on one that would cost me nearly double that, can go towards another Brand New battery, if it fails after the 3 years is up.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by triodes
Gents batteries have increased greatly in price due to China cornering the world market of lead.
They are the biggest users of lead by several factors over the USA.

Lead in the last five years has gone up 400 percent on the world market.

Welcome to the future.
I just wish I had some of that to stir into my Petrol, this unleaded stuff gums everything up.