XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Bought a 1990 XJS 12cyl conv.... thoughts and questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a 1990 XJS 12cyl conv.... thoughts and questions

I paid $4000 and put about $6000 in repairs so far. I had the suspension, anti-lock braking systems and brakes completely replaced. Now she drives and handles like a dream... almost. I need to replace 1 more strut in the rear right, she pulls a little to the left but I dont even notice it anymore. The electrical problems... the electrical is a headache but in a way it adds to the personality, The passanger side window dosent go up completely it gets to about 1cm from closing then stops, needless to say she isnt water worthy yet. I picked up a part time job just to be able to afford the maintainance, I am a student!!!
One piece of advice Ild have for peole wanting this car is if you arent able to work on it and have the constitution to pour money into it then dont even test drive one. I was trying to sell mine untill I started driving her around, after 2 days I fell in love. Also I had 3 people test drive the car and each one of them managed to damage her in some minor way. You have to respect this car and shell respect you back seems to be the way it goes.
I also wouldnt advise this car for anyone living in a big city with bad roads like Los Angeles. Speed bumps, potholes and worst of all dips need to be avoided for the most part.

I am not sure if the transmission is slipping a little or not. maybe about 10% of the time after I start up I have to step on the pedal a bit more to get her goin. When that happens she gets a burst of energy and wants to go...NOW!
I would assume it is the transmission, but maybe its a quirk of the car?
Aside from that 10% at startup she drives really smoothly.
Im so impressed with this 20yr old machine.

If anyone has any info on the transmission question let me know. I intend to save up and get the transmission rebuilt or replaced at some point. Ill need to call British Eurotech and see how painful itll be. Holding off on that one for as long as it isnt hurting the car.