XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Brake Failure at 70mph Car nearly caught fire XJS V12 Help me please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 04:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,812 Likes on 2,639 Posts

Originally Posted by 88-xjsv12
Check both calipers obviously youll need the left side new pads and rotor so you might as well do both I would also do my bearings in the front as well .
I am planning to replace everything for about £200 but I never gave the Wheel bearing a thought!

I expect all the grease has melted away as it must have got red hot!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,036 Likes on 1,702 Posts

If you do have the misfortune to suffer a fire make sure that you shut the engine off before discharging the dry powder extinguisher; if the engine is still running it will ingest the powder which then reacts with oil to turn into a nice acid which eats all the seals.

Last edited by Steve M; 05-18-2014 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Grammer
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (05-18-2014)
Old 05-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
If you do have the misfortune to suffer a fire make sure that you shut the engine off before discharging the dry powder extinguisher; if the engine is still running it will ingest the powder which then reacts with oil to turn into a nice acid which eats all the seals.
If it happens I will remember that.

Thanks Steve

Old 05-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good!! I would also do both of the brake hoses while your in there that very weel could have been your cause because they are known too spilt suddenly (like yours) re tighten your e brake cable after its use and tray too find braided brake line for the front its a little stonger.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:55 AM

Yes PLEASE TOO ALL READING THIS IF YOUR XJS OR ANY CAR FOR THAT MATTER CATCHES FIRE TURN THE DAMN KEY OFF IT WILL SHUT IFF THE FUEL AND EVENTUALLY BE STABLE TOO SPRAY IT. 99% thus is why jags burn to death every video on youtube they left it running.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Default Does This Look Small To You!

You bought a jaguar xjs without a fire extinguisher ??
Do you reckon this will put the Fire Out?

http://

Attached Thumbnails Brake Failure at 70mph Car nearly caught fire XJS V12 Help me please!-xjsapril30th006_zps163ca177.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Default Check This Out Dude!

Its Driving Me To Drink!

Attached Thumbnails Brake Failure at 70mph Car nearly caught fire XJS V12 Help me please!-xjsapril30th006_zps163ca177.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Good!! I would also do both of the brake hoses while your in there that very weel could have been your cause because they are known too spilt suddenly (like yours) re tighten your e brake cable after its use and tray too find braided brake line for the front its a little stonger.
I've got both Calipers off now and am going to buy Two new ones Tomorrow including new pads and brake hoses etc.

Attached Thumbnails Brake Failure at 70mph Car nearly caught fire XJS V12 Help me please!-xjsapril30th004_zps5d5cfc82.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member

Yes PLEASE TOO ALL READING THIS IF YOUR XJS OR ANY CAR FOR THAT MATTER CATCHES FIRE TURN THE DAMN KEY OFF IT WILL SHUT IFF THE FUEL AND EVENTUALLY BE STABLE TOO SPRAY IT. 99% thus is why jags burn to death every video on youtube they left it running.
I love horror films! I will have to have a look!

Old 05-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

Leave it running and Waste all that Petrol!

Old 05-18-2014, 10:02 PM

You need an all class fire extinguisher a b and c for fluids electric and materials such as carpet wood etc don't skimp! It will save your pride an joy someday! I have five in mine and its not even on the road yet! Two meduim sized ones a large one and two more med ones in the trunk the larger one is mounted up against the fuel tank the med ones are in the cabin one behind each seat .

orangeblossom (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member

You need an all class fire extinguisher a b and c for fluids electric and materials such as carpet wood etc don't skimp! It will save your pride an joy someday! I have five in mine and its not even on the road yet! Two meduim sized ones a large one and two more med ones in the trunk the larger one is mounted up against the fuel tank the med ones are in the cabin one behind each seat .
Holy crap, where do you live? In a volcano? Mercury? The heart of the sun?
How on earth do you expect to use 5 extinguishers? Have you also got a full fire suit and breathing apparatus because, trust me (from experience) if the fire is that big to warrant 5 extinguishers you aren't going to be within 50 yards of the car; your underwear will be on fire.
Hats off though for considering the possibilty and taking appropriate precautions.
Now, do you also carry a hard hat in case of meteorite strikes or unfriendly launches from neighbouring countries?

Old 05-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Its Driving Me To Drink!

Now, I can spot a couple of problems with this picture.
The most obvious fire hazard is the open jar of marmalade (could be honey) with the wooden handled spoon behind the extinguisher; a classic explosion waiting to happen.
You left the top off the bottle of Absinthe; flies will get in and after you have had a well deserved drink post fire extinguishing adventure you go down with gastroenteritis.
Fire extinguisher insrtuction 1: Use Upright. What if you are lying on the floor and the fire is above you? Do you have to stand upright and put your head in the flames before you can use the extinguisher?
How old is that extinguisher? It's blue! It's got to be over a decade since all (and I mean ALL) shipboard fire extinguishers have to be red; with a tiny label on it denoting which particular fire they are suitable for.
That's right: you are crawling along a smoke filled corridor with your **** on fire, your glasses have melted and you have to stand 'Upright' to read a tiny label that has probably burnt off in the fire. So you give up, grab the closest one and attempt to extinguish the electrical fire which is feeding a broken oil pipe with a 10 gallon water extinguisher.
Also, if you happen to come across someone (this apparently did happen) who has just come out of a very hot fire whilst wearing a silver fire suit, don't hose them down; they will literally baste to death.
Funniest thing I ever saw on a fire drill? Still brings several tears to my eyes I have to say.
There may be some old seafarers on here who remember the dreaded 'Smoke Helmet'. Basically, seafarers were (still are in some cases) considered to be disposable assets so even though a shipping company complied with the regulations it was always at the lowest standard possible.
So rather than invest in proper SCBA (Self Contained Breating Apparatus) like what proper firemen wear, we had the 'Smoke Helmet'.
This looked like a proper face mask but it was connected to about 50 yards of wire wrapped 2" hose. At the other end of the hose was a large bellows, big enough for 2 men to operate with their feet, all beautiful varnished wood and polished leather (think the sort of size that you would use in a forge). So, the idea is that the hero (dumbass) goes bravely into the fire whilst his 2 mates keep him supplied with fresh air. Not get bored and wander off for a quick smoke (been there, seen that).
Aaaanyway, Singh puts the face mask on, Singh and Singh (Indian crew in case you hadn't guessed) start pumping away furiously, in perfect tandem, like a well oiled machine, and 50 yards of cockroaches erupt into Singh's face mask.
And I'm not talking little roaches here, I'm talking about the proper Bombay 6 wheelers. The mask was bulging with the pressure and there were all these legs and antennae wiggling furiously around the sides of the mask and the straps, desperatley trying to escape.
Obviously we tried to help but the other 49 of us were curled up on the deck, clutching our tummies and howling with laughter and/or vomiting.
Aah, the good old days, when men were men and women were glad of it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve M:
LnrB (05-19-2014), orangeblossom (05-19-2014), texasscot (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member

That is so 'Last Year!'

I'm Towing a Water Bowser, have Smoke Detectors on All my Wheels and have the Local Fire Station on my Speed Dial!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

im very lost. Didnt you just make 2 threads about your braking system? Why were you driving at 70mph with a known bad braking system?!

Old 05-19-2014, 08:04 AM
Veteran Member

Sidescrollin; are you having a bad hair day or something?
That's 2 negative posts I've come across in 2 looks.
Behave.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

Sidescrollin; are you having a bad hair day or something?
That's 2 negative posts I've come across in 2 looks.
Behave.
Im sorry if you perceive it as negative but when someone drives a car at high speed with known bad brakes and another asks for help on a forum and ignores everyone replies only to post an article stating the exact thing all the replies did how do you want me to respond?

Should I be positive and say I am glad he drove his car with bad brakes and that it was probably a good idea?

Should I respond to the fuel thread praising the OP for ignoring everyones posts?

You are being negative about my posts because the topic or op did something negative. That isn't my fault

Old 05-19-2014, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, maybe I am having a bad hair day myself but I read 2 of your posts on the trot and they both made go from to .

Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry, maybe I am having a bad hair day myself but I read 2 of your posts on the trot and they both made go from to .
I can't admit any fault unless you tell me what was wrong with my posts. Seriously there were 2 threads on this guys brakes being bad in the front and the next thread I see from him is about his brakes failing at 70mph and nearly catching on fire.

Yeah its a "free country" but that doesn't mean it was a good idea in any means.

I was one of the first to respond to his other threads with advice on fixing his brakes. That why my comments in this threads don't cover that. I was more surprised,confused, and disappointed to see he thought it was okay or safe to drive the car anyway.
If he is free to not fix his brakes why am I not free to comment on it being a bad idea?

Old 05-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member

Now, I can spot a couple of problems with this picture.
The most obvious fire hazard is the open jar of marmalade (could be honey) with the wooden handled spoon behind the extinguisher; a classic explosion waiting to happen.
You left the top off the bottle of Absinthe; flies will get in and after you have had a well deserved drink post fire extinguishing adventure you go down with gastroenteritis.
Fire extinguisher insrtuction 1: Use Upright. What if you are lying on the floor and the fire is above you? Do you have to stand upright and put your head in the flames before you can use the extinguisher?
How old is that extinguisher? It's blue! It's got to be over a decade since all (and I mean ALL) shipboard fire extinguishers have to be red; with a tiny label on it denoting which particular fire they are suitable for.
That's right: you are crawling along a smoke filled corridor with your **** on fire, your glasses have melted and you have to stand 'Upright' to read a tiny label that has probably burnt off in the fire. So you give up, grab the closest one and attempt to extinguish the electrical fire which is feeding a broken oil pipe with a 10 gallon water extinguisher.
Also, if you happen to come across someone (this apparently did happen) who has just come out of a very hot fire whilst wearing a silver fire suit, don't hose them down; they will literally baste to death.
Funniest thing I ever saw on a fire drill? Still brings several tears to my eyes I have to say.
There may be some old seafarers on here who remember the dreaded 'Smoke Helmet'. Basically, seafarers were (still are in some cases) considered to be disposable assets so even though a shipping company complied with the regulations it was always at the lowest standard possible.
So rather than invest in proper SCBA (Self Contained Breating Apparatus) like what proper firemen wear, we had the 'Smoke Helmet'.
This looked like a proper face mask but it was connected to about 50 yards of wire wrapped 2" hose. At the other end of the hose was a large bellows, big enough for 2 men to operate with their feet, all beautiful varnished wood and polished leather (think the sort of size that you would use in a forge). So, the idea is that the hero (dumbass) goes bravely into the fire whilst his 2 mates keep him supplied with fresh air. Not get bored and wander off for a quick smoke (been there, seen that).
Aaaanyway, Singh puts the face mask on, Singh and Singh (Indian crew in case you hadn't guessed) start pumping away furiously, in perfect tandem, like a well oiled machine, and 50 yards of cockroaches erupt into Singh's face mask.
And I'm not talking little roaches here, I'm talking about the proper Bombay 6 wheelers. The mask was bulging with the pressure and there were all these legs and antennae wiggling furiously around the sides of the mask and the straps, desperatley trying to escape.
Obviously we tried to help but the other 49 of us were curled up on the deck, clutching our tummies and howling with laughter and/or vomiting.
Aah, the good old days, when men were men and women were glad of it.
How the Kinell am I supposed to get that lot in the Car!

If the GF Saw me wearing that, Then She would no doubt be thinking, that We were about to get up to something Kinky!

Which reminds me of when I went shopping for a New Double Bed where the Salesman asked me, if I wanted a 'New Headboard' to go with it?

When I said 'Yes' he suggested that I bought a Padded one, until I said 'How am I supposed to put 'Hand Cuffs' on That!

'I want that Brass One!'

To which he replied: 'I'm obliged to point out that its not Real Brass!'

Though with the kind of Girls that I bring home, I doubt if they would ever know the difference!

You are right about the 'Honey' but wrong about the 'Absinthe' as it's an empty bottle that I had left over from Christmas.

Which I keep just to remind me that the GF and the 'Absinthe' do not mix, as my GF Alice, or 'Hurricane Alice' as She is now better known, bought that bottle round for Christmas and ended up Wrecking The House!

As it turns out, neither of us had tried the Stuff before but you know what happened to Van Gogh, He had a couple of glasses, then went and cut his ear off!

And so We went the full nine yards with Cubes of Burning Sugar on the Top of the glass, which has a similar smell to burning Dot4! and if anyone knows what that smells like its me!

One shot of the Stuff is like drinking a can of Strong Lager but after 3 Shots the GF reckoned that it was well overrated and so after having another 3, said that all of a sudden, She wasn't feeling Herself!

Which makes a change!

So I told her to sit still on the Bed while I went and got her a drink of Water (which actually makes things worse!)

All of a sudden I heard a Crash and ran into the Bedroom, which was a scene of Total Devastation!

For as She tried to Stand Up, She fell over and then made a grab for the Curtains to steady herself and in doing so pulled the Curtain Rail out of the Ceiling!

Which then tipped over the CD Rack, which knocked the TV on the Floor and smashed it!

I haven't bothered to make a Claim on the Household Insurance as every time I make an attempt to fill out the form, I always end up laughing so much I splutter cups of Coffee over it.

Check out the Absinthe Videos on You Tube and see how a few Shots of this stuff can Mess with your mind!

Loved your Post! another one corrupted bring it on!

Attached Thumbnails Brake Failure at 70mph Car nearly caught fire XJS V12 Help me please!-xjsapril14006_zpsa947920f.jpg   Brake Failure at 70mph Car nearly caught fire XJS V12 Help me please!-homewreckerhurricanealice2_zps87ac599a.jpg  

Last edited by orangeblossom; 05-19-2014 at 08:54 AM.
LnrB (05-19-2014)

Quick Reply: Brake Failure at 70mph Car nearly caught fire XJS V12 Help me please!