XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Brake master cylinder alternative

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2022, 06:45 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Brake master cylinder alternative

Hi to all,
I have made up my mind to retrofit my 1989 XJS with ABS to regular servo assisted brakes (I already have a pedalbox and a booster from an 1986 car), I took this decision for different reasons which are not the important part on this thread, but sooner or later many will follow this route, but most importantly, as we can read in about 3 other threads going on in this forum, the original MC fited to tis cars are getting difficult to find, expensive, and if you are missing the plastic fittings, well, you are in trouble.
I know someone has fitted a Mitsubishi Eclipse MC, and some one else has used one from a Ford Pick Up truck, it would be nice to hear from people who have used NON OEM Master Cylinders and if posible get the part number and not just the make and model of the car it was intended, since for example in the case of the Eclipse, there are different configurations.
I think the main requirements for a MC that will be an alternative to the OEM for the HE XJS is that it has to be a "Remote Mounted Reservoir" MC and it has to have a 15/16" bore.
So far I have found Cardone132702 meets this criteria, but would be good to hear from someone that have actually done this, or someone thas has found a good alternative.

Cheers
Alfredo

Old 07-30-2022, 08:08 AM

Bump

Old 07-30-2022, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Doesn't Kirby's Book mention some alternatives?

Cheers
DD

Old 07-30-2022, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,376 Likes on 803 Posts

I did the mistu with a remote reservoir. I use my Jag to participate in on Track DE events and the brakes have been a bright spot. Over the years I tried 15/16 and the 1 inch bore as my brake caliper setup changed. I've found the 15/16 helps me modulate the brakes better. I've tried so many Mitsu combinations, other than the bore size I cant remember exactly what MC is on the car now. I written about it in other threads so there might be more info there. I do know it's a mix and match. I used the MC from one mitsu and the reservoir from another. This has nothing to do with the MC itself, I just needed to find the best reservoir for my needs and with a dry or external fluid level sensor. In any case using a Mitsu MC requires a good bit of mechanical skills. Not a direct bolt on. Even the minor mods to the brake pushrod and bolt hole seem to be a bridge too far for some. Then mounting up the remote reservoir is another hurdle. If you have the pedle box off the car you'll have ample opportunity to prototype. You'll also have to make some new lines. All kind of straigh forward if you/ve been working on cars for awhile.

I've written about this before but If you want the feel exactly right you'll need to take the piston spring out of the Jag MC and use it to replace the spring in the Mitsu MC. I dont think that will be all that necessary in your case, Those hydro-boost late 80's XJS brake have such terrible feel that anything will be an improvement.

I also know this is worth doing becasue I have no more MC problems. All my other Jags and a friends Jag with the OE iron MC have had routine MC problems. After a few months the fluid goes dark with rust from the iron MC.

Last edited by icsamerica; 07-30-2022 at 09:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by icsamerica:
Doug (07-30-2022), orangeblossom (08-01-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,979 Likes on 7,211 Posts

Originally Posted by icsamerica

I also know this is worth doing becasue I have no more MC problems. All my other Jags and a friends Jag with the OE iron MC have had routine MC problems. After a few months the fluid goes dark with rust from the iron MC.

Hmmmm. A few months? That's a little disturbing

Can't say I've every experienced anything weird like that with the iron MCs. Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm a rather religious every-two-year-brake-fluid-flusher and am surprised at how long the fluid stays clean. I've considered extending to three years simply based on visual appearance of the fluid....which probably isn't the best measuring stick

I wonder what else might be at play here? Fluid type? Environmental variables? The metallurgy of xxx-replacement MCs?

Cheers
DD

Old 07-30-2022, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,376 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Hmmmm. A few months? That's a little disturbing

Can't say I've every experienced anything weird like that with the iron MCs. Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm a rather religious every-two-year-brake-fluid-flusher and am surprised at how long the fluid stays clean. I've considered extending to three years simply based on visual appearance of the fluid....which probably isn't the best measuring stick

I wonder what else might be at play here? Fluid type? Environmental variables? The metallurgy of xxx-replacement MCs?

Cheers
DD
I wonder about this this myself, Brake fluid might be formulated different now than how it was 40 years ago. Also could be environmental, it's humid here for 4 months or more. Last year I got a GMC Motorhome with an iron MC. Since It's a motor home and I travel with family I check everything rigorously before each 'voyage'. Same phenomenon, dark rusty fluid even though back in November I switched it over to rear disk brakes from drums and that required the requisite fluid change. A few weeks later the MC fluids was dark and not so lovely. For me this was not tenable so in went an Aluminum MC from a 1995 Asto. Each time I check now (every two weeks or so) the fluid looks like the day I poured it in which gives me the confidence I need to to get down the road with peace of mind.

Old 08-01-2022, 07:23 AM

Thanks so much, waiting for the 15/16 Mitsubishi MC, wiil solve the issue with the new brake lines amd any mounting issues, I will get back while I do the change.

Old 08-01-2022, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

Has anyone considered using Wilwood components? I know that they make stock replacement systems for current applications. Could an entire non abs system be engineered?

Old 08-01-2022, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rivguy
Has anyone considered using Wilwood components? I know that they make stock replacement systems for current applications. Could an entire non abs system be engineered?
The one I found in Summit Racing webpage is Wilwood 260-14242-BK at $300 including a kit withe hoses and reservoirs... I know Wilwood has great products, but besides this being black, I don't find many advantages over Cardone 13272 (for a Mitsu Eclipse) also in Summit for $30... The advantage of the Mitsubishi one, is it can be found in any parts store...

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (08-02-2022)