XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Broken down

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020 | 06:11 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bez74
Looks like a drill hole?

I have a saying at both work and play - own up to the mistake so we can move forward together (and that goes for when I stuff up as well).

The fact that you are driving her on the road and finding these issues is a good thing - and I enjoy reading your posts

Cheers
Steve
I appreciate that, Bez... I do...

It took me a long time to get her driving. Spread thin working on a rescue Porsche 928, an old Goldwing I'm turning into a bobber or cafe racer,,, and now a XKR Portfolio Convertible (super excited) that took a swim in Texas... I won't even describe my salary, lol... Laughable...

I'm not surprised at all that a whole new list of problems are rearing their ugly little heads,,, now that I'm driving her daily.

I'm not ashamed of or truly embarrassed... It's all good less someone gets hurt. I do kind of regret sounding such an alarm and making people pay attention and give time to the mistakes. That's one thing. Someday I'll be able to contribute more and need less...

The drill hole,,, yes, it was a pin hole. I had to cover all the spigots,,, blow into one of them with water in the tank. It pushed out and leaked thru a hole invisible, under the paint that held up better than the metal... I sanded a bit and drilled out the hole some. Later about an 8th of an inch of JB Weld across the bottom of the tank. Waited 2 1/2 hours, filled it, bled the system and drove her home. No more leak. Good stuff - but one of those things that will always be in the back O my mind... Cleaned out the tank while it was out and mouse sized clumps of **** came out... It's only 3 1/2 inch nutts... If ya haven't lately,,, I recommend giving yours a shake out. I was shocked at how much waste came out of it.

Anyways,,, another day.

I was also thinking,,, .020 or .025 in MALadjustment just MIGHT translate to 1/2 inch, little less little more, at the STOP on the capstan... Could very well be. For peace of mind I might just run the set screw down as a test. I am still concern about the STUCK throttle linkage IF that's what is was.

Thank you Bez,,, thank you ALL
Even you, MotorCarMan, lol

The following 2 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
Grant Francis (03-15-2020), Greg in France (03-16-2020)
Old 03-15-2020 | 09:31 PM

Congratulations.

Always the little things.

I agree that the 0.025 at the disc would be 1/4"+ at the capstan.

JB Weld, killa stuff, and a must have product.

Old 03-15-2020 | 10:12 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Congratulations.

Always the little things.

I agree that the 0.025 at the disc would be 1/4"+ at the capstan.

JB Weld, killa stuff, and a must have product.
Heeey Man, Grant. Hi...

Thank goodness for JB Weld, lol...

Yeah, that day, yesterday, I had changed the plugs, removed and cleaned up rotor and dizzy... The plugs, once I got them out and seen what I had done 2yrs ago now, I was angry at myself for having done it incorrectly back then (not knowing the car and what I was doing). I remembered that just to get her running I ONLY changed 10 of the plugs and not all 12. I think the seller (Rockauto) only sent me 10,,, or something like that... So, for the last I don't know how long, I had been running the car where two of the plugs (the 2 Autolites in the middle below) from PO were gapped at .050 or something. Maybe more... Found another plug that looked fouled, most likely not firing.... Which would have made it --- the one fouled on A3 I changed a couple of days ago, the fouled I found yesterday, and the 2 with the huge gap. She was running terrible,,, but I have nothing to compare it too and didn't know, exactly. I've never owned or driven a Jaguar XJS v12... AND,,, am really just getting to drive her.

Once the plugs were changed and everything was back together, new tires, sunny day, top down, Zep on the new stereo, over the Verrazano, she was running by FAR BETTER then ever... BEAUTIFULLLLLY.... I've never driven a car quite like this!!! Then of course, OUT of the BLUE, the problems I reported yesterday... Lol,,, I almost cried, lol... Like DAMN!

By the way,,, breaking down off of a highway, on a ramp in NYC is NOT like breaking down in the burbs... It SUUUUCKS... Hence the panic...

Anyways. Got things back together today and had the beautiful drive I was supposed to have yesterday, today! Kept on driving, headed out from Long Island into New Jersey USA for like 3 hours and a full tank O gas... V12 grin...

I wanna thank you all for responding to my troubles yesterday,,, the brain trust... No,,, really. Thanks y'all.

Good night.

ps... I'm going to add a picture below. How can that hose be routed off of the coolant crossover pipe so the hose isn't rubbing up against that damn bolt??? Even if I got some other hose,,, honestly, I cannot see how that bolt at the top of the B bank cam tower could be avoided... The rubbing on the hose is an accident waiting to happen... Hahahaha,,, maybe I'm asking toooooo much, lol... Still...

The 2 in the middle. Jeeeeeze...

So,,, at the top is the boot that vents the crankcase on the front of bank B... The breather... Bottom right is the coolant cross pipe crossing over and the hose on a spigot on the top O the pipe that goes over and down to the coolant reservoir... Must be a "special" hose here?

Old 03-15-2020 | 11:54 PM

That hose is simple.

Find a scrap hose, you keep the old stuff I trust.

Cut a section off, about 1" long, maybe shorter. Slice down that section, so you end up with a split hose, trim the circumference as needed, push it down between the bolt head and the hose. A small dob of RTV on the section will stop it falling out. Then the section you inserted does all the rubbing.

There is another bolt highly suspect on the timing cover where the lower rad hose winds its way through the maze, same trick.

Mine has been there 10 years now and still OK.

HORRIBLE plugs by the way.

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020 | 12:16 AM

Hello JJJ

Where possible - I try to find a hose with the same ID as the hose I want to protect OD. Bit of soap and hot water - I slide the bigger hose into place.to protect the good hose

Cheers
Steve

Old 03-16-2020 | 06:24 AM
|
Veteran Member

Cool, Grant and Steve...

Will do...
I like clear, "cut", slick FREE solutions!
Good show!

Grant Francis (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020 | 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
Heeey Man, Grant. Hi...

Thank goodness for JB Weld, lol...

Yeah, that day, yesterday, I had changed the plugs, removed and cleaned up rotor and dizzy... The plugs, once I got them out and seen what I had done 2yrs ago now, I was angry at myself for having done it incorrectly back then (not knowing the car and what I was doing). I remembered that just to get her running I ONLY changed 10 of the plugs and not all 12. I think the seller (Rockauto) only sent me 10,,, or something like that... So, for the last I don't know how long, I had been running the car where two of the plugs (the 2 Autolites in the middle below) from PO were gapped at .050 or something. Maybe more... Found another plug that looked fouled, most likely not firing.... Which would have made it --- the one fouled on A3 I changed a couple of days ago, the fouled I found yesterday, and the 2 with the huge gap. She was running terrible,,, but I have nothing to compare it too and didn't know, exactly. I've never owned or driven a Jaguar XJS v12... AND,,, am really just getting to drive her.

Once the plugs were changed and everything was back together, new tires, sunny day, top down, Zep on the new stereo, over the Verrazano, she was running by FAR BETTER then ever... BEAUTIFULLLLLY.... I've never driven a car quite like this!!! Then of course, OUT of the BLUE, the problems I reported yesterday... Lol,,, I almost cried, lol... Like DAMN!

By the way,,, breaking down off of a highway, on a ramp in NYC is NOT like breaking down in the burbs... It SUUUUCKS... Hence the panic...

Anyways. Got things back together today and had the beautiful drive I was supposed to have yesterday, today! Kept on driving, headed out from Long Island into New Jersey USA for like 3 hours and a full tank O gas... V12 grin...

I wanna thank you all for responding to my troubles yesterday,,, the brain trust... No,,, really. Thanks y'all.

Good night.

ps... I'm going to add a picture below. How can that hose be routed off of the coolant crossover pipe so the hose isn't rubbing up against that damn bolt??? Even if I got some other hose,,, honestly, I cannot see how that bolt at the top of the B bank cam tower could be avoided... The rubbing on the hose is an accident waiting to happen... Hahahaha,,, maybe I'm asking toooooo much, lol... Still...

The 2 in the middle. Jeeeeeze...

So,,, at the top is the boot that vents the crankcase on the front of bank B... The breather... Bottom right is the coolant cross pipe crossing over and the hose on a spigot on the top O the pipe that goes over and down to the coolant reservoir... Must be a "special" hose here?

Morning.

lts not easy to tell given shine, refection etc etc etc in the picture. But it looks like the two plugs you hate the most are possibly the 2 that are running the best However that plug to the right of the much maligned duo it not working as it should, not even close, either the plug/lead etc is bad or if its not spark related its probably being overfueled

l have good news and bad news. Good news ive seen odd black plug like that before when everything else had been fixed and replaced, bad news is a new injector loom fixed it.

Last edited by anyoldiron; 03-16-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Grant Francis (03-16-2020)
Old 03-16-2020 | 08:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bez74
Looks like a drill hole?

I have a saying at both work and play - own up to the mistake so we can move forward together (and that goes for when I stuff up as well).

The fact that you are driving her on the road and finding these issues is a good thing - and I enjoy reading your posts

Cheers
Steve

Ahh, that must have been the where thinking behind pinning up Dear John letters on the orders board came from.

Old 03-16-2020 | 09:19 PM

Mark,

Those "Projected Nose" spark plugs are ALL I use on the HE.

Back in the day, lots of "pistons will hit the plugs" stories in the fraternity.

Cannot happen, and an opened coathanger down the hole told me so.

They simply burn cleaner, being out IN the "bang mix".

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
anyoldiron (03-18-2020), Greg in France (03-17-2020), JayJagJay (03-17-2020)
Old 03-17-2020 | 12:06 PM
|
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Mark,

Those "Projected Nose" spark plugs are ALL I use on the HE.

Back in the day, lots of "pistons will hit the plugs" stories in the fraternity.

Cannot happen, and an opened coathanger down the hole told me so.

They simply burn cleaner, being out IN the "bang mix".
Hmm... So are you saying the Autolites are the better plug for the HE XJS v12?

I had gotten the NGKs after reading here that they were the right fit.

Old 03-17-2020 | 10:16 PM

Yes, yes, and yes.

The aftermarket (NGK, AC, Bosch, KLG, Nippon) books ALL list the flat nose plugs, thats what info they got and cross referenced 100 years ago.

Things change, better mouse traps get made, but the aftermarket info never changes. That has been my work for 55 years, and the grey hair is NOT teenage kids, its bdealing with these suppliers who have difficulty changing anything.

Firstly was word of mouth, people that tried alternatives, and told others, then arrived WWW, and everyone had access, but the "mud" got confusing.

The Projected Nose plugs are better, the spark event is now out in the fuel mixture, and ignites it better. The "Flat Nose" were fine back when Gasoline was actually Gasoline, and damn near ignited on its own.

BP6EF is what I use, BUT, NGK is rumoured to have stopped making them, so the BPR6EF is now the new "mouse trap". I am not a fan of Resistor sparkers in a V12, but that is MY opinion, and I live with it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Greg in France (03-18-2020), JayJagJay (03-18-2020)