XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Broken Wire Identification help

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Broken Wire Identification help

In the process of diagnosing a miss, I found a broken wire I hope someone can help me identify (see pics). #5 cylinder on bank B seems to be missing, at least at idle. Narrowed the bank down by feeling the exhaust. A definite difference from bank A to bank B. Bank A being a smooth steady exhaust flow whereas bank B is a pulsing flow. Anyway, the offending cylinder injector is receiving an input signal, verified by a noid light check. All injectors were cleaned and tested last year when I replaced all the hoses, filters, pintle caps, etc. I'm gonna check spark next, plug, wires, rotor, etc. Guess this is a request for advice on two issues. Maybe three! Anyone out there have a factory installed sunroof? Mine will work mechanically, read cordless screwdriver, but not electrically. I REALLY do not want to pull the headliner but cannot find a wiring diagram. Thanks!

Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 2,663 Posts

Hi 67 Camero

That looks like the White Shielding Wire that goes to Pin 24 of the ECU in the Boot/Trunk that uses the Signal to Fire the Injectors and is Earthed from One End Only! the ECU end (Not Both Ends) and so its sounding just like this could be the problem

Its really nothing Special, its just a piece of Coax that you might find on a TV or Radio Aerial

You could even run a length of Coax around the Outside of the Car to Test the Continuity if you wanted to

White Coax Shielding Wire that Fires the Injectors goes to Pin 24 of the Ecu in the Boot/Trunk earthed at the ECU end only

Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

I was concerned about the broken black wire. If it was the coax wire you speak of, the car wouldn't run at all. It is running well, just not this cylinder. Anyway, I should have named this post "The Things You Find When You Go About Replacing the Plugs". The p.o. did not perform any work personally. He paid mucho $$$ for anything done to the car. (See pic) Guess they didn't realize they were smashing the hose when tightening down the pedestal bolts. Plug looks very fouled and, from what I've read, the wrong heat range. I'm replacing the set with NGK TR5s gapped to 0.025". I also bore-scoped the cylinder and did not see anything out of the ordinary. Still see significant cross-hatch on the cylinder walls. The hose that was smashed under the pedestal runs up and behind the drivers side relay bank and into a fuel filter open on the other end to atmosphere. Hmmm, some kind of vent? I've only removed one plug so the adventure continues. Of course I realize once this work is completed and B5 is still not firing, I have an injector issue.

Last edited by 67Camaro; Yesterday at 07:24 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 2,663 Posts

Hi Camero

In that case I can't help you but I will get back if I think of anything else

The following users liked this post:
67Camaro (Today)
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,113 Posts

The hose is the distributor vent. It pulls fresh air through the distributor cap to remove any crankcase fumes and to prevent cap explosions.
The BR7EF is the correct plug for the V12.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jagboi64:
67Camaro (Today), Greg in France (Today)
Old Today, 11:05 AM
Default Continuing Saga.....

A couple things I've found during my prep for plug replacement. Air injection check valve deteriorated, and its replacement found on Amazon. Wondered where that increasing exhaust leak was coming from. Throttle position sensor wire exposed at the housing. Anyone have experience with the "brush on" wire insulation? Correct plugs on the way, BR7EFS. I don't want to say where I read that the others were correct but there is a bunch of incorrect information out there. Going to replace the hose related to and near the check valve as the exhaust leak kinda cooked everything around it.

Old Today, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,407 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Replace that TPS!
Also, if you are allowed to in your jurisdiction, remove the entire air injection disaster and plug the holes in the manifold.

Old Today, 11:34 AM

Ok.....where is the best place to purchase a new/good TPS? I would love to remove the air injection system. Have you done this and is there a good write-up, video?

Old Today, 12:12 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Re: removing the the air injection system / smog pump. Here is the guide I used: https://foreverjaguar.com/f/smog-blogdelete

Removing the air rails can be done with the engine in the car, just requires some careful cutting and maneuvering of the pipe out of there.

Old Today, 12:41 PM

Concerning the individual injection ports in the intake manifold, why not just tap them to accept a small pipe plug? I think I'm gonna go forward with this and also remove the A/C compressor as it doesn't work anyway.