XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cabin Noise Level Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2022, 11:31 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cabin Noise Level Question

Hello all,

I think that this has been discussed a bit in other threads already, but I was wanting a bit more of a straight forward answer. How much engine noise is acceptable within the XJ-S cabin from the 5.3 V-12? I definitely have a loud injector ticking noise, noticeable with the hood open (the shop I take it too recently cleaned the injectors out). However, I am having trouble determining if that is the same noise I am hearing inside the cabin upon acceleration. There is a noise that sounds a bit like excessive valve train noise, but I am not sure. Should valve train noise be noticeable within the cabin? I am also getting a low oil pressure reading, 5psi at idle and 25psi at speed (my mechanic tells me the actual pressure is fine when he used a mechanical gauge). Additionally, the car seems to not be heating up all the way. Could this lack of heat cause a poor oil pressure reading and subsequently a louder engine due to internal parts not expanding properly? Lastly, there is a bit of an intermittent noise coming from one of the pulleys. I wonder if a bearing is bad, could this cause a ticking noise at speed?

Thank you all in advance,

Campbell

P.S.

I do think my fuel pump is a bit weak, could fuel starvation cause a louder injector ticking at speed?

Jaguar XJ-S coupe
1989 Marelli
5.3 Litre

Last edited by campbellrobinson2001; 02-24-2022 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by campbellrobinson2001
Hello all,

I think that this has been discussed a bit in other threads already, but I was wanting a bit more of a straight forward answer. How much engine noise is acceptable within the XJ-S cabin from the 5.3 V-12? I definitely have a loud injector ticking noise, noticeable with the hood open (the shop I take it too recently cleaned the injectors out). However, I am having trouble determining if that is the same noise I am hearing inside the cabin upon acceleration. There is a noise that sounds a bit like excessive valve train noise, but I am not sure. Should valve train noise be noticeable within the cabin? I am also getting a low oil pressure reading, 5psi at idle and 25psi at speed (my mechanic tells me the actual pressure is fine when he used a mechanical gauge). Additionally, the car seems to not be heating up all the way. Could this lack of heat cause a poor oil pressure reading and subsequently a louder engine due to internal parts not expanding properly? Lastly, there is a bit of an intermittent noise coming from one of the pulleys. I wonder if a bearing is bad, could this cause a ticking noise at speed?

Thank you all in advance,

Campbell

P.S.

I do think my fuel pump is a bit weak, could fuel starvation cause a louder injector ticking at speed?

Jaguar XJ-S coupe
1989 Marelli
5.3 Litre
Lots of good questions...

For oil pressure... What I have read/learned is that oil pressures in the 5.3 V12 can be and usually are quite low. What kinda changed that for me was running a 15w40 diesel oil (Rotella T4 I think)... That and renewing both pressure devices behind the capstan. How long have you had your car and how long did it sit up, IF it did, before you go it? I ask because mine, after sitting 12 yes, runs MUCH quieter today. Also, sticky lifters became unstuck after many miles of driving and a couple of quarts of trans fluid (for detergents) a little while before an oil change had a significant effect on things.

Actually, pressures will be higher when cold (it's a viscosity thing) and produce lower and lower pressures as oil heats up so not related to temps,,, BUT if the car is not heating up you MUST check your thermostats... Get the CORRECT ones from the guru's here. Correct ones are SUPER important. I stress this!!!!

The injectors fire in "batches" which can make them loud but I can't hear mine at all in the cabin...