XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cam Cover Gasket Driving Me Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 04:34 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cam Cover Gasket Driving Me Crazy

My first thread (I know, you're happy for me)!
I've been struggling with a cam cover gasket leak on my 1994 XJS 4.0. After replacing it the first time, a corner of the gasket split (over-tightened the bolts?), so I bought a beam torque wrench to get an accurate 5-lb reading. That said, tightening the second replacement gasket wasn't easy, as the bolts have that odd Phillips-like head on them, and, once again, split the gasket. And upon removing that gasket, the bolts were tighter than I expected (either I am an idiot--possible--or the cheap torque wrench isn't that accurate. So, upon reading various threads, I'm going to go finger-tight and then a quarter or so turn with the next gasket I get.

But that's where the real problem begins. The first two gasket kits (HL-702) were ordered from Moss Motors. I was concerned that they were a little short, and the gasket material is sort of plastic (not rubbery), but they fit around the bottom of the cam cover just fine. After the second split, I ordered NBC2525AA (flexible rubber) from SNG Barratt, which according to their website parts diagram and phone rep said would fit the 1994 4.0 (AJ6). It didn't, and clearly fits the 1995-1996 4.0 (AJ16) cam cover (has a groove on the bottom of the cover). I even used my VIN number to help with precise ordering. Even a visit to a Jaguar dealer was adamant that the NBC2525 would fit my motor.

Okay, this is getting to be a crazy long thread
1994 XJS 4.0 AJ6 cam cover

Smooth face, as opposed to a groove as with the AJ16 cam cover.
. I really want to know if I'm wrong/crazy, or if Jaguar (and others) are wrong about the 1993-1994 4.0 AJ6 (specifically the cam cover). Some reps I've spoken to have suggested that perhaps my motor and/or cam cover has been swapped out from the original, so that's why that I've been getting the wrong gaskets (NBC2525 and EAC2912). But big, green service manual, and various searches online shows the same black, grooved 4.0 cam cover fitted on the '94.

So, is the black cam cover that standard unit for the '94 XJS 4.0, or is it the silver one (AJ16)? Or worse: Do some of the black cam covers have a groove on the bottom, while others are smooth (I've added photos of mine)?

Old 07-24-2024, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,127 Likes on 2,062 Posts

XJ94,

Don't think of the changepoints as being by "year" as this means different things in different countries. Basically, AJ6 engines were fitted up to the changepoint at VIN 194774, when the AJ16 was then fitted. As you've got an AJ6 engine, the part number for the gasket should be EAC2912. See the Jaguar parts website here:

Genuine Cylinder Head Components-4.0 Litre-aj6 (4.0 Litre,aj6)((e)to196089) For Jaguar Xjs Sports Coupe/convertible 1975 - 1996 Classic | Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts

And just to clarify the (e) to 196089 means the engine number, not the VIN.

I can't understand how a Main Dealer could get the part number wrong when he should be looking at the same parts system, but hey!

Don't trust anyone else's part numbers. ALWAYS start with the Jaguar parts website to get the number correct and then decide who you want to buy the part from.

If the independents are selling you their own parts that don't fit, just buy the genuine right part from Jaguar.

Hope that helps

Paul

The following 3 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Grant Francis (07-24-2024), Greg in France (07-25-2024), Mguar (07-25-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 06:13 PM

Hi Paul,
Thank you for the very helpful information! Being that my VIN is 192238, I would think that the Jaguar dealer and online parts vendor would have seen the same parts diagram you linked, but I think they used this Jaguar parts link:
https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

It shows what I think is the AJ16 cover, but according to the parts flow chart, it is fitted to my VIN [From (V)179737 Up to (V)226645]. Am I reading this wrong?

And Moss Motors sent me the EAC2912 part, but it arrived as a pair, and are only half the length of the cam cover. Even their website shows that part as being a shorter pair. I called and explained the fitment problem, but just said to return them. That all said, I ordered that same part number from SNG Barratt, and the one they're sending looks correct (according to their website image).

Old 07-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Keith,

179737 to 226645 just means it's the overall Parts section that relates to Facelift XJSs. The sub-sections within that detail the specific aspects and how they changed over the life of the facelift cars.

So, if you start on the Jaguar Parts website here:

Search Genuine Xjs (from (v)179737 Up To (v)226645) Parts For Jaguar Xjs Sports Coupe/convertible 1975 - 1996 Classic | Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts

Then go to "Engine" then go to "Cylinder Head" you can then find the right section for the 4 litre AJ6 cam cover.

Did Moss send you a genuine Jaguar part, or just one that they had sourced from a new parts supplier?

Remember when you buy from SNG, they potentially have 3 different options on parts:

- Genuine Jaguar Parts, where they operate and order the parts from Jaguar as if they were a Main Dealer. These will be advertised on their website just with the Jaguar part number.
- OEM parts (they will have a # suffix after the Jaguar part number). This is where they are selling a part that should be from one of the OEM suppliers to Jaguar. These SHOULD be the same fit as genuine Jaguar parts but be careful.
- Pattern parts (they will have a * suffix after the Jaguar part number). This is where they are sourcing a new pattern part from an alternative supplier. Be VERY careful about buying pattern parts.

As I said, if you're not getting the right quality and fit, just cut out the middle man and buy the genuine part from Jaguar.

Cheers

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Grant Francis (07-24-2024), Greg in France (07-25-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 06:57 PM

Hi Paul,
Ha! Thank you for explaining that--thought it was the VIN (duh).

I didn't see any numbers after the part number itself, so the Moss and Barratt parts are probably aftermarket.

Additionally, the Barratt parts catalogue (https://cdn.sngbarratt.com/catalogue...cat_xjs_en.pdf) on page 7, indicates that the EAC2912 is for a 3.6 motor, and that the NBC2525 would fit a 4.0. But wasn't the 3.6 only manufactured until '89? And then it shows the 4.0 as needing the NBC2525. Am I missing something?

Anyway, I will go to the Jaguar dealer and show them what you showed me--thank you so much!

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (07-25-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 09:33 PM

Gasket update:
Okay, my adventure with getting the right cam cover gasket (hopefully) has come to an end. After returning part no. NBC2525 to SNG Barratt, they sent me EAC2912, which, thanks to Paul's help, is correct for the 4.0 AJ6 engine (as indicated on the Jaguar parts website). It arrived today, and is distinctly more pliable than the HL702 from Moss Motors, and fit perfectly on the cam cover (HL702 had to be Gorilla-taped around the corners or it would pull off). This time, I also gently tightened (1/4 turn past finger tight) on each bolt and went for a drive--so far, so good.

But to wrap up, I found some challenges with trying to get the right part from the various web retailers.
  • SNG Barratt: Part no. EAC2912 shows two distinctly different gaskets, both indicating that they fit the XJS Facelift engines (can't seem to refine search to just AJ6, only "Facelift") . The $12.52 part is correct (the winner!); the $73.44 part has two short gaskets that are for something way other than the AJ6.
  • Rock Auto: Beck/Arnley 061606. Website states this is OEM/Interchange for EAC2912, and even shows the correct gasket kit photo as what you'll receive. But what did I get? Yep, the two short gasket set! And this source has no customer service contact phone number or email to talk to a human to find out what happened, so I just returned it.
  • SNG Barratt: Part no. NBC2525AA indicates that it fits XJS Facelift, but it appears to likely fit the 1995-1996 AJ16 cam cover. The Jaguar dealership also said that this would fit the AJ6 (it doesn't).
  • Moss Motors: Part no. HL702 kinda fits, but is a bit stiffer and not nearly as pliable as the SNG EAC2912 version, and it split twice on me not long after install.

The following 2 users liked this post by XJ94:
Greg in France (07-29-2024), ptjs1 (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member

Keith,

Good to hear that you finally got it sorted!

Part of the problem with the SNG diagram is that they show 2 part options:
- EAC2912* which, as I mentioned, is a pattern part that they have had remanufactured. This is the one that you have now bought
- EAC2912 which is the original Jaguar part, but their diagram shows a picture of it twisted, which can appear like it is 2 separate gaskets. Not very helpful.

The issue highlights the usual problems:
- DON'T trust anyone else's parts diagram and part numbers except Jaguar's own website.
- There are often cost-effective options for parts from independent suppliers. Some of these are very good value. But if you have quality concerns, buy the part from Jaguar.

Cheers

Paul

Greg in France (07-30-2024)
Old 07-31-2024, 09:47 AM

Yeah, when I saw the asterisk I was worried, but it worked out. The other EAC2912, which I received twice, really looked like two separate gaskets, and I didn't want to open the packaging as I wouldn't be able to return it. But if they were the correct, single gasket (but folded over?), I need to have my head (and eyes) examined .

ptjs1 (07-31-2024)