XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Can you help? Smoke from under the engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can you help? Smoke from under the engine

I've recently been fortunate enough to inherit my grandpa's '84 XJS. It's in mostly great shape, except for a couple things I want to tackle over the years. I admittedly don't know much about cars, and certainly not one like this, but I'm proud to have it and intend to keep it running and in good shape.

Hoping someone can help with one of the issues: There is some slight smoke coming from underneath the engine. In the attached image #2441, it appears to be coming from the area of the silver piece right in the center (technical term) that bends down to the right. It appears there's oil on the piece right above. Not sure if it's related, but there is also some oil that appears to be dripping off of that black aerodynamic in the front under the engine, at the lip and where the fasteners are, second image.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I'd like to have some education when I take this to the shop. Can anyone help identify what's happening? Thanks a lot.

Attached Thumbnails Can you help? Smoke from under the engine-img_2441.jpg   Can you help? Smoke from under the engine-img_2433.jpg  
Old 09-14-2017, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,184 Likes on 2,101 Posts

First, welcome and congratulations on owning a very nice car!

In your first photo, the bent sheet metal piece is a heat shield that goes over the steering rack. Right above it, the can shaped thing is the catalytic converter, a part of the exhaust. If the car has been sitting for a while it is likely that oil has dripped onto the the exhaust and is burning off when you run the engine and the exhaust gets hot. Nothing to worry about.

In the second photo, the undertray is right below the radiator and oil cooler. The cooler hoses are known to weep and drip oil over time, that is likely what is happening. Again, nothing serious.

If the car has been sitting for quite a while, I would recommend getting all the fluids changed - engine oil, radiator coolant, brake fluid, rear axle oil and transmission oil.

The power steering pump is a GM pump and also well known for leaks. It's on the left side front of the engine bay, probably under the air intake trumpet. It is belt driven and has a round plastic cap on top, about 1.5" diameter with an integral dipstick in the cap. Open it up and see what the level is, it will be marked full cold and full hot. If the car has been sitting overnight and is cold, use the cold level with the engine off and see where it is. I suspect it's low. You can top up with automatic transmission fluid, Dexron II or III spec. I use a small funnel with a piece of hose.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the fast response! Glad to be a part of the group and an owner.

It's typically sitting for about a week between drives so what you're describing may then be the case. Thanks for easing my concerns.

It was mostly not driven for 3-5 yrs before I acquired it, and I only did an oil change, new battery (there's a draw and it's a hard start after a week - next project), and safety check, so I'll do the other fluids as you've advised. Will check the transmission fluid, too.

Thanks again. Will be back with a new question before too long, I'm sure!

Old 09-14-2017, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 365 Posts

Looks better than my car, but the same oil leak I'd imagine oil is coming from somewhere possibly a crappy oil pan gasket (such as is the case with my precious) if not from the valve covers and flowing down to the exhaust and burning off? You can try adding a dye to the oil and looking for the source to, pictures of the top engine compartment would help then we could see abit more.

I'd also bet those are stock Cats and are probably clogged with soot getting dangerously hot and burning off the oil. They are a fire hazard its best to gut them if you can.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:16 PM

Thanks for the response, Vancouver. I read about the valve covers elsewhere and wondered if that's it. If it's just some oil burning off, OK to drive until I can address then? I'll put the gasket and covers on the list. Correct on the stock cats - I'll see about cleaning.
Will send some pics of the engine compartment when I can.
Thanks for now.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,184 Likes on 2,101 Posts

Yes, you're fine to drive as is.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:40 PM

Cool, thank you. Appreciate your help.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

Anything on the back of the engine and V tend to drip down onto the cats and smoke off. Oil sender, oil idiot light, banjo fittings, valve covers. If its enough to smoke I try to fix it, its a built in leak detection system

Old 09-17-2017, 08:32 PM

Thanks for everyone's response. I appreciate it. A few others have suggested checking power steering fluid, so I'll start there.