XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Can your Engine still be running Hot even when you 'Think' its Not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
Good advice Greg.

I think a lot of people are a little overly paranoid about V12 engine temperatures, as long as the car does not boil, ie spit coolant everywhere you will be fine.

I boiled the heck out of my car once on a 40°C day when I went for a drive after doing some work. I forgot to put the fuses for the thermo fans back and she spat almost all her coolant onto the ground at a set of traffic lights. Filled her up after she cooled and continued on my journey.

I do think the Marelli cars have less overheating issues due to better ignition control, no advance mechanism to seize.
Hi Warrjon

I agree with you and Greg

But knowing how overheating can destroy an Engine, I was maybe understandably a little bit Paranoid.

Unless the Photo of my Gauge, is starting to Freak you both out, by showing too Cold.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

My gauge runs higher than that. Each temperature sender has a tolerance in its resistance so the gauge will read differently with different senders.

One thing I have noticed is the gauge moving as the voltage varies. All of the gauges work based on voltage divider as the resistance of the sender varies the gauge will respond accordingly. If the supply voltage varies this will effect the reading on the gauge.

The XJS does not use a regulated voltage supply to the gauge pod so gauges will vary with voltage.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member

My gauge runs higher than that. Each temperature sender has a tolerance in its resistance so the gauge will read differently with different senders.

One thing I have noticed is the gauge moving as the voltage varies. All of the gauges work based on voltage divider as the resistance of the sender varies the gauge will respond accordingly. If the supply voltage varies this will effect the reading on the gauge.

The XJS does not use a regulated voltage supply to the gauge pod so gauges will vary with voltage.
Cheers Warrjon

That is very handy to know.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

OB,

I think it's perfectly feasible that you might have a sender unit whose resistance readings are causing that gauge to read low. However, it might also indicate a cold-running engine consistent with a permanently open thermostat.

I would be tempted to start taking some temp readings, but perhaps easier, check that the 'stat opens only when it reaches temp. You should be able to suddenly feel (and possibly hear) the warm coolant start to flow on the rad side as the 'stat opens. If the temp just gradually rises on that side (and doesn't get really hot) it could indicate that the 'stat is stuck open.

Paul

Old 04-19-2016, 03:37 PM
Banned
Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Greg

You are absolutely right, I 'Was' getting confused about the Water vs The Under bonnet/hood Temp.

I think I'm tuning in on it now, so Thank you for that.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think I was starting to Panic because the reading seemed to be too Cold and as such I wasn't sure if the Water was circulating properly (as in not getting as hot as maybe it should.

Hence the desire to check it with the Laser, which I will do anyway to try and learn a bit more.

I've also got in the habit, of opening the (Bonnet/Hood) up right after a Trip, although the 'Cool Down' Fan works perfectly fine.

So Thanks for your help.

If you Check out the Photo, this is where my Gauge sits All the time, when She is Warmed up. (maybe a little bit higher on a Hot day)

My oil pressure gage is barely above 0 when at idle and goes up to 50 at highway speed.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

My gauge doesn't really go to 1/2 anymore, so I either run really cool or it's busted, which has happened to my voltage gauge, but there is also no reason to suspect a problem.

So every once in a while I check the temp by pointing an IR thermometer at the radiator hoses and other general areas.

After you drive it for 6 months and then check and it is actually fine, you learn to trust it.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

I think it's perfectly feasible that you might have a sender unit whose resistance readings are causing that gauge to read low. However, it might also indicate a cold-running engine consistent with a permanently open thermostat.

I would be tempted to start taking some temp readings, but perhaps easier, check that the 'stat opens only when it reaches temp. You should be able to suddenly feel (and possibly hear) the warm coolant start to flow on the rad side as the 'stat opens. If the temp just gradually rises on that side (and doesn't get really hot) it could indicate that the 'stat is stuck open.

Paul
Hi Paul

This is one time that I hope you are wrong but you could be right.

So I will take some readings and report back to all, to see what you think.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by macdoesit
My oil pressure gage is barely above 0 when at idle and goes up to 50 at highway speed.
Hi Mac

Same here (sort of) what you are seeing on my Oil Gauge, stays pretty much at that level (Magnetec 10/40 Semi Synthetic) until Highway Speeds, when like yours it goes up to around 50.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sidescrollin
My gauge doesn't really go to 1/2 anymore, so I either run really cool or it's busted, which has happened to my voltage gauge, but there is also no reason to suspect a problem.

So every once in a while I check the temp by pointing an IR thermometer at the radiator hoses and other general areas.

After you drive it for 6 months and then check and it is actually fine, you learn to trust it.
Hi Sidescrollin

Great idea, once again!

I've got an IR Thermometer, so I'm going to take some readings and then we can compare notes and see what we get.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:41 AM
Received 201 Likes on 132 Posts

when i picked up my xjs i took it to a friend who has a lift to check it over.On the way back i stopped at a junction and to my horror the oil pressure had fallen on the floor on tickover. After changing my underwear i ran the car and everything looked and sounded ok.
i later found a problem with a crap battery. After changing said article, the oil pressure guage read fine on tickover and all speeds. perhaps a check on the battery condition and the charging voltage may be in order

orangeblossom (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 03:46 AM
Banned
Received 262 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi Mac

Same here (sort of) what you are seeing on my Oil Gauge, stays pretty much at that level (Magnetec 10/40 Semi Synthetic) until Highway Speeds, when like yours it goes up to around 50.

I'm running 20/50 --100% synthetic.

orangeblossom (04-20-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by leo newbiggin
when i picked up my xjs i took it to a friend who has a lift to check it over.On the way back i stopped at a junction and to my horror the oil pressure had fallen on the floor on tickover. After changing my underwear i ran the car and everything looked and sounded ok.
i later found a problem with a crap battery. After changing said article, the oil pressure guage read fine on tickover and all speeds. perhaps a check on the battery condition and the charging voltage may be in order
Hi Leo

Thanks

But its not the Battery, I just splashed out over £70 Quid on a Brand New Exide.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by macdoesit
I'm running 20/50 --100% synthetic.
Hi Mac

Someone else will probably know but I suppose that could make a difference.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Mac

This is quite normal for the XJS oil pressure gauge.

The thinner the oil ie 10/40 will cause lower oil pressure due to the thinner oil. Think of it like a garden hose. Turn the tap on (with no nozzle on the hose) and water will flow out and travel about a foot (low pressure) put your finger over the end and water will squirt much further, the same volume of water will flow.

As long as the volume of oil is enough to lubricate the engine low pressure is not so much of an issue. The 6.0L will run higher pressure as the bearing tolerances are much tighter than the 5.3.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Greg in France (04-22-2016), orangeblossom (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

This is quite normal for the XJS oil pressure gauge.

The thinner the oil ie 10/40 will cause lower oil pressure due to the thinner oil. Think of it like a garden hose. Turn the tap on (with no nozzle on the hose) and water will flow out and travel about a foot (low pressure) put your finger over the end and water will squirt much further, the same volume of water will flow.

As long as the volume of oil is enough to lubricate the engine low pressure is not so much of an issue. The 6.0L will run higher pressure as the bearing tolerances are much tighter than the 5.3.
Hi Warrjon

Many Thanks, I won't be so paranoid now.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

Here is a pic of my temp gauge after I replaced the sender with a brand new one. Disregard the oil pressure as I broke the spade terminal off and had not fixed it at this point.

The coolant temp with the gauge at this point was 90°C

Attached Thumbnails Can your Engine still be running Hot even when you 'Think' its Not?-imag0260.jpg  
Old 04-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

There is one factor I haven't seen mentioned. The V12 has TWO thermostats, one for each bank, but only one temp sensor. It is possible that the stat on the bank w/o a sensor could stick closed and not have it show on the gauge

orangeblossom (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,247 Likes on 5,431 Posts

Originally Posted by mghirsch
There is one factor I haven't seen mentioned. The V12 has TWO thermostats, one for each bank, but only one temp sensor. It is possible that the stat on the bank w/o a sensor could stick closed and not have it show on the gauge

For a bit, yes. The B bank thermostat could stick shut. If it did, the B bank water circulation would go into the crosspipe and down the short pipe to the water pump housing where it would mingle with the cool water coming in from the radiator having entered the rad from the A bank thermostat.

Some of this mix of uncooled and cooled water would recirculate through B bank, but some would go into A bank and start to show increased water temps before too long, at least in hot weather anyway. Then the alert owner would stop and investigate and find the B bank top hose was cool, and know the stat was the problem.

Knowing your gauge's position when all is well is, as several people have said on this thread, very important. When I did a bit of a gasket overhaul on my engine, I also did the "Lutz Mod". This is a modification to the front water manifolds' orifice sizes so that water is forced towards the rear of the engine. This is to stop any tendency for the cooled water to "short circuit" the engine by exiting the water pump, then entering the head, then returning straight into the front water manifold rather than flowing all the way to the rear of the engine. In racing V12s, this mod is considered essential, though whether it is needed in a road car is far more debateable. Anyway, I have done this mod, and it certainly works. Immediately I did it, the gauge temperature reading went up to a "new normal" position by two or three needle widths. The explanation for this is that indeed water is circulating better, so the temp sender is seeing better flow from the rear of the engine, and less "short circuit" flow of cooler water, so that is why the temperature is reading higher on the gauge because it is seeing a better mix of coolant. The cooling is actually better, in the sense of being more even throughout the engine's length, but the gauge is reading higher even so, because it is seeing a more representative mix of coolant!
Greg

The following 4 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Doug (04-26-2016), orangeblossom (04-26-2016), ronbros (04-26-2016), warrjon (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
The cooling is actually better, in the sense of being more even throughout the engine's length, but the gauge is reading higher even so, because it is seeing a more representative mix of coolant!
Greg

To beat the same horse I've beaten many times before, coolant *flow* it what should be paramount in everyone's mind. Coolant temperature is secondary....to a certain degree (ha ha)

Cheers
DD

The following 4 users liked this post by Doug:
Greg in France (04-27-2016), orangeblossom (04-26-2016), ronbros (04-26-2016), warrjon (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

coolant flow is important, but would the restriction actually reduce over all pump flow?

true that the available flow would be forced to the rear, and help cooling V12!

its about time someone actually made a coolant pump that produces higher volume and higher pressures!

i have modded pumps on other type engines , and they worked quite excellent!

(darn i miss my machine shop).

orangeblossom (04-26-2016)

Quick Reply: Can your Engine still be running Hot even when you 'Think' its Not?