XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Car revival question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015 | 10:01 AM

This has been a great bit of info,THANKS! I'm waiting for the weather to break here in N. IL to pull the radiator and headliner to fix both.

Old 01-22-2015 | 02:29 PM
|

FWIW as a small update my parts arrived today and I was able to pick up the recored radiator!

And since I bad mouthed him a little bit I want to say that Brian did send a letter of apology, free gasket set with the thermostats, and a 10 dollar credit with him I can use in the future.

Anyway, after my parts delay now back to work!

Originally Posted by dorschman
Do you remember where you got your thermostats? I ordered some from Brian Welker at v12 performance that specified the jiggle pin but I may am coming on two weeks since order with no contact from him after multiple calls and emails.

So I may need to buy from another source but most of the sites do not have a picture or the picture does not show the jiggle pin specifically.

thank you

erik

Old 01-22-2015 | 04:03 PM
|
Default here's a tidbit if you get your radiator recored

It might help to bring pictures for the radiator guys.

I just tried to reinstall it only to discover the mounting tabs on top were put back on the wrong side of the radiator! Pics attached.

And- now I am not sure how the bottom ones are supposed to look since I don't think I ever took pics of the bottom of the radiator before I brought it in to the shop! Anyone have pics of the bottom of the radiator?

edit- now that I look closer I think the bottom supports are actually on the top of my radiator now!

So now I need to figure out if the supports are set forward toward the front of the car when the radiator is in or set towards the back of the car when the radiator is in. And if the top and bottom supports are set the same direction.

Attached Thumbnails Car revival question-top-mounting-bracket-incorrect.jpg   Car revival question-top-mounting-bracket-incorrect-2.jpg   Car revival question-top-mounting-bracket-incorrect-3.jpg  

Last edited by dorschman; 01-22-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2015 | 04:22 PM

The photos look like they may have the tanks reversed as well the air bleed is on the left or if you will driver side US on both of my XJ-S's.

Last edited by tokyodon; 01-22-2015 at 04:23 PM. Reason: SP
Old 01-22-2015 | 04:32 PM
|

I think I may be lucky I have a before pic since I try to photograph all the major steps so I have come chance of getting everything back together-

I think the air bleed is ok- he just put something in it so nothing would enter I think.

these pics are before recore and after recore

Attached Thumbnails Car revival question-img_0675.jpg   Car revival question-incorrect-brackets-1.jpg  
Old 01-22-2015 | 06:07 PM

dorschman are you in NC or down under? keep up the good work these cars are worth all the effort.

Old 01-22-2015 | 06:13 PM
|

Originally Posted by tokyodon
dorschman are you in NC or down under? keep up the good work these cars are worth all the effort.
North Carolina- we basically live about 2 miles from UNC in Chapel Hill.

Old 02-01-2015 | 08:53 AM
|

Update- radiator is in and seems to be working well! Engine ran at well under the N on the temp gauge!!!

My next door neighbor and I were really excited so we drove 100 yards down our street with the hood off so Sterling has moved under his own power for the first time in who knows how many years!!!!!

Now- I guess next should be an oil change, brake fluid, and transmission.

I'm going to delve into the ROM and Haines manual and try to do the oil change today. Please let me know if I need to remove the transmission, stereo, battery, right front wheel, left rear speaker, or something else ridiculous to change the oil.

I am hoping to let the engine warm up, jack it up at the front, pull the drain plug, change the oil and filter, and be done! Could it actually be that simple?

Old 02-01-2015 | 09:40 AM

Good to see it's running!

FWIW: I like Grant's method:
Grant's oil change:
Essentially you add about a quart of ATF to the engine oil and run the car at fast idle for an hour. Then as soon as possible without burning yourself, undo the drain plug and watch all the crap come out. The ATF has detergents in it that help clean up the interior of the engine. You do it a few times till clean and then fill with your regular brew.

Old 02-01-2015 | 12:14 PM
|

Taking a step back unfortunately there was a hose leaking overnight so I tightened that.

Refilled, started on incline to bleed the heater, and had coolant spurting out the top spout.

Expansion tank tested well- I could hear air bubbling behind the driver wheel arch with just breathing through it.

So I would think if there was too much pressure it would have overflowed the tank?

Could the cap just be bad now?

I am going to make sure it's screwed on tight and try again.

Old 02-01-2015 | 01:13 PM
|

took another shot and it appears the cap was just not screwed on completely.

So now on to the oil change-

Old 02-01-2015 | 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

Whatever happened to the 0 compression on one cylinder, and the clackety sound of it running? Jaguar V12s are usually really quiet engines. If it has a blown head gasket, your problem is not going away....clackety sounds are excessive valve clearance most likely from a dropped valve seat?

I sincerely hope not...yet, my experience with Jaguar V12s doesn't lead me to find them parked for no reason at all.

Old 02-01-2015 | 02:03 PM
|

Originally Posted by superchargedtr6
Whatever happened to the 0 compression on one cylinder, and the clackety sound of it running? Jaguar V12s are usually really quiet engines. If it has a blown head gasket, your problem is not going away....clackety sounds are excessive valve clearance most likely from a dropped valve seat?

I sincerely hope not...yet, my experience with Jaguar V12s doesn't lead me to find them parked for no reason at all.

Funny you should mention that- I took a video today after I sorted out the coolant leak and it definitely sounds clickety clackety to me. I will still hold out hope that getting it on the road and driving it will magically fix it. If not then I will have to work on taking it apart or finding a new one if it is shot.

There is also an oil leak that burns on the exhaust nicely that I am thinking I should try to track down before I change the oil.

Either way I am learning a ton and taking my time. I find if I set no deadline then I have much more fun learning on it. I think if I pressure myself that it has to run by this date or that it won't be fun anymore.

Old 02-01-2015 | 05:06 PM
Veteran Member

I understand your situation, believe me! My 6.0 with a 5 speed in my 89 convertible feels like it will never happen, lol.

On the other hand however, if you have a dropped valve seat, continuing to run it, will most likely make things possibly much worse. On another forum, a few years ago, I read where a guy decided to continue to drive his home without knowing it was a dropped valve seat. Unfortunately, the seat shattered. Common knowledge tells us that would be the only cylinder effected would be that one cylinder. But not in his case....the intake reversion (I believe it was called) caused small bits of the seat to be drawn back into the engine, and messed up I think 4 or 5 of his liners. He was determined to return the car to its original condition, and spent far more than he would have, had he shut it down, and repaired it promptly.

In my opinion, from the sound of the video, you have some serious exhaust noise. I had my car to two different muffler shops, recommending a full exhaust system replacement. I replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets, and one muffler, and the car was incredibly more quiet. But be forwarned, looking back, I feel taking the engine out would have been easier. The rear bolts, as well as the fronts on A1, and A2 were a royal pain. Like you now know, several things have to come off, just to get to what needs replacing or tightening.

You have a beautiful car there. And maybe I'm getting sentimental, but as I continue to look at these cars, it seems the value is increasing, and maybe that is because they have been given up on so easily.