XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

The Case Is Altered!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2024, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,866 Likes on 2,671 Posts
Default The Case Is Altered!

The Case Is Altered
Up until I joined the Forum, I hadn't got a Spanner to my Name until that is I went and bought my First XJS where due to lack of knowledge I let my heart rule my head, as I was so obsessed with wanting one, that common sense went out of the Window, where as a result of a lack of Mechanical Skills

I think it would be fair to say I really went and Stitched myself right up, as within a short time of owning her, the rings around the Rotors, were so worn out that they just fell apart but just as I was thinking that things could possibly not get any worse

The Garage that I took her to, told me the IRS Cage on the Car would have to be removed in order to fix her, where I was potentially facing a Stratospheric Bill to do the job, where knowing it was beyond me to try and do this myself, instead I decided to Sell her for whatever I could get

Where once having done so, I went out and bought another one!

Only this time I paid more attention to the Mechanical side and have continued to do so, right up to the point where refurbing the IRS with New Discs and Calipers simply doesn't phase me in the way that it used to, providing you just take it a step at a time and don't try and rush

So as you may imagine, these days I have got more tools than I know what to do with, that I have mostly Collected from Yard Sales and Thrift Shops and if the Price is Right I keep on Buying them, for no other reason 'Than Because'

Except for one I have always Avoided! as I have no use for this thing Whatsoever!

This being what is called a 'Multi Tool' where to be quite honest, I had no idea at all 'A' what you would use it for, or 'B' just what it does

Except that in an Autumn Sale, they were piling these things high and selling them off Cheap as maybe there were others, who didn't want one either but as all these were now on Sale at Half the Normal Price! I couldn't resist this Bargain any longer! even though I never thought I'd find a use for it

Which sometimes shows just how wrong you can be!

Hmmm! Yes but No but I don't know what on earth possessed me to buy this!

Ah Yes! it's all coming back to me now! this intriguing piece of kit was On Sale at half Price! and I can never resist a Bargain so I bought it just because!

Still no immediate use for this, so all I could do was to Start Thinking out of the BOX!

OMG! I'm thinking, I've just had an idea!

That was inspired one Week ago, when I went out of the House without any Tools! and on that day in question, I needed them to help fix a Friends Car. where I didn't even have so much as a Screwdriver or a Spanner, as I had just been Cleaning out the Boot/Trunk of my Merc and had left all my Spanners in the Kitchen!

What you may be thinking is inside this Box!

The Answer being absolutely nothing! although it once contained a 'Sabre Saw' that was so much trouble to put back in that Box that I very simply didn't bother!

Though because of the way it was constructed, with its 'Blow Molded' Partitions, you couldn't get anything else inside it either!

This was a good case going to waste as with a bit of modding! may be I could turn it, into a 'Grab and Go' Tool Box!

Just hang on I'm thinking, this might even Work! once those 'Blow Molded' Partitions have been Cut out of the way!

If only I had a 'Multi Tool' perhaps I could use it for that!

Except that now I've got one, what am I waiting for! so why not give it a try and see what happens!

Although it seems to be doing the Job, this Gadget is so Noisy! that even with your Ear Muffs on its absolutely deafening! and your Neighbors may not ever want to Speak to you again! and even if they did you'd never hear them!

After what seemed like forever, I finally got all those Partitions Cut out but decided to leave the Lid as it was, to give it a bit more strength, although this Box was as it was as tough a Brick Outhouse!

It really took some cutting I can tell you,so maybe next time I will try it with an Angle Grinder!

My 'Grab it and Go' Tool Box, was just what I wanted and a very worthwhile project to prevent you getting bored when it's raining and there's nothing else to do

Last edited by orangeblossom; 10-04-2024 at 02:53 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
89 Jacobra (10-04-2024), Asdrewq (10-04-2024), Grant Francis (Yesterday), Greg in France (Yesterday), Keesh (Yesterday)
Old 10-04-2024, 04:11 PM
Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

Nice! I have a few of the Parkside tools now (cordless ones, 12v & 20v) & really rate them for the price.

The following 2 users liked this post by Asdrewq:
Greg in France (Yesterday), orangeblossom (10-04-2024)
Old 10-04-2024, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 700 Posts

I've converted many a tool case just as you have, and I quite often use a angle grinder, or sometimes a old soldering Iron on the thinner stuff. Makes great use of all the old cases from my tools.

Jack

The following 2 users liked this post by 89 Jacobra:
Greg in France (Yesterday), orangeblossom (10-04-2024)
Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Jack

Never thought of using a Soldering Iron! I will have to give that a try, as I would never buy another one of these Multi Tools as even with the Ear Muffs on it is Deafeningly Loud and will drive the Neighbors absolutely Bonkers!

Good Job it was only a Tenner!

Old Yesterday, 12:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Asdrewq

Their Tools are so good and reasonably priced, that I've got almost every one in their range

Even the Cases are made in Germany and are so heavy duty, that the Multi Tool was Struggling to Cut it (Don't even think of Buying one it will drive the Neighbors Crazy with the Noise it makes)

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM
Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts

I currently own three Multi Tools.
One is a Dremmel cordless and two are Ridgid cordless.
The most recent of the Ridgid is a Job-Max version that will be going to my sister.
I'm going to take back the Dremmel corded one I gave her and put it up for sale.
Nothing wrong with it except it has a cord.
I haven't used any of them in the past year, but when I need one I need one.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Equiprx

What are you supposed to use a Multi Tool for?

I'm not Talking about a Dremmel but one of those with Virbrating Blades like my Multi Tool has

Alex

Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 860 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Equiprx

What are you supposed to use a Multi Tool for?

I'm not Talking about a Dremmel but one of those with Virbrating Blades like my Multi Tool has

Alex
It's really useful, and I use mine quite often. I'm sure there are plenty of youtoob videos of the many uses of one (search for "oscillating tool"). Fein had a patent and they used to be very expensive, but were a vital tool for professionals such as hardwood floor installers. Now they aren't so dear, and there are certain jobs where no other power cutting tool works as well.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (Yesterday)