XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Centering steering wheel 1996 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Centering steering wheel 1996 4.0

After installing a rebuilt rack & pinion I need to center the steering wheel. Problem is I can't see any of the shaft hardware pictured in the pinion installation instructions or in my new Jaguar service manual. It would have been so simple if Jaguar had milled a groove all around the shaft at the floorboard that the little universal joint fits on. Instead they milled a slot in it to fit the clamp bolt, so no adjustment is possible at that point. Do you have to disarm the airbag and remove the steering wheel? Thanks for any help.
RagJag

Old 07-25-2012, 12:27 PM
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

How far off is the steering wheel?

On the ZF racks, as you mentioned, I don't think (not sure) you can install the shaft itself at a different angle, so your steering wheel offset could be in the tie rod ends.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,987 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Hi
With a new rack you will have to get the tracking reset which should re-centre the steering wheel.
Whilst you are about it would be worth getting a full steering geometry check as that will improve the steering and prolong tyre life.
Steve

Old 07-25-2012, 03:54 PM

It is off about 1/3 of a turn. If corrected by moving the tie rod ends the rack will not be centered.
Steve, what is a tracking reset? I did have the front wheels re-aligned.
Just have to center the steering wheel. The rack came with instructions to do that, however the pics in the inst. and the pics in the Jaguar manual show the upper shaft as being accesable from below. I can not see the shaft at all for all the other stuff under there. I was asking if removing the steering wheel would give me access to the clamp that holds the shaft in place.
RagJag

Old 07-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by RagJag
It is off about 1/3 of a turn. If corrected by moving the tie rod ends the rack will not be centered.
Steve, what is a tracking reset? I did have the front wheels re-aligned.
Just have to center the steering wheel. The rack came with instructions to do that, however the pics in the inst. and the pics in the Jaguar manual show the upper shaft as being accesable from below. I can not see the shaft at all for all the other stuff under there. I was asking if removing the steering wheel would give me access to the clamp that holds the shaft in place.
RagJag
Bet you "tracking reset" is the Queen's English for wheel alignment.

1/3 of a turn is a lot.

If the steering gear is similar to the later XJ series, look in the manual for mention of a alignment mark in the form of a hole and a tang that have to be lined up at the column to rack interface.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,987 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Apologies for the Olde Worlde English!
I'm only going from experience; my 4.0 litre Coupe had a slightly off centre steering wheel and when I had new tyres fitted I had the 'alignment' reset.
After much hammering and swearing from the mechanic he finished the job and the steering wheel was back in line again although whether by design or accident I don't know.
Steve

Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 PM

Problem solved gentlemen. I simply cut a groove completely around the steering shaft where it sticks out of the floorboard or firewall next to the gas pedal. That allows the universal joint to be installed in any position necessary to center the wheel. This was done using a grinding wheel on an electric tool from HFT (Harbor Freight Tool). I lucked out and got the wheel in a perfect position the first time I installed it. I was facing either dismantling the steering wheel or taking the tower off the rack and hoping to get it back on in the correct position.

Now I must replace the pressure line on the power steering before it ruptures and sets my car on fire again. lol Thanks for the help.
RagJag

Old 07-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

There is a 3/16 hole in the rack (should have a plug in it) where the pinion housing meets the rack this is used for centering the rack.

Insert a 3/16 drill backwards and turn the steering wheel until it goes into the hole in the rack. Rack now centered.

You can now install the steering wheel straight, I know in my rack there is a cutout in the pinion spline so the universal can only go on one way.

If you do this will you most likely need to have it wheel aligned. As I bet the rack is NOT centered properly.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:49 AM

All true Warjon. My pinion shaft does have a cutout to allow the pinch bolt to be inserted through the universal joint, so it will only go on in that position. The steering column shaft as it comes through the lower firewall also has that cutout. I had two choices. Either remove the airbag and steering wheel to see if I could get the wheel straight or I could modify the shaft to accept the bolt in any position. I chose the latter as I don't enjoy working with airbags.
RagJag

Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Received 8,076 Likes on 4,871 Posts

The lower part of the steering column has a slot cut all the way around. You should have just removed the upper part of the U-Joint section, rotated the steering wheel and re-attached the column.

bob gauff

Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 232 Likes on 167 Posts

"I could modify the shaft to accept the bolt in any position. I chose the latter" Totally unnecessary!
Geez, you ought to replace that sterring column you just messed up big time!

Get a front end alighnment - 100 bucks well spent and the proper way to correct your problem...

Last edited by Roger95; 07-26-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 AM

Roger. I did not mess up the steering column 'big time'. It is just like the lower end now. It has a slot all the way around.
Wish Motorcarman had chimmed in a little sooner. I did get an alignment. The shop didn't know the lower shaft had a slot either. Of course this was not a Jaguar dealer shop. All is well.
RagJag

Old 07-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Default Centering steering wheel 1996 4.0

Motorcarman. Neither the rack rebuilder nor my Jaguar service manual mentioned the possibility of centering from the joint just above the pinion. I am going to install a new pressure line(should have done that with the rack) and take a look at that shaft. Thanks for the information.
RagJag.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by RagJag
Motorcarman. Neither the rack rebuilder nor my Jaguar service manual mentioned the possibility of centering from the joint just above the pinion. I am going to install a new pressure line(should have done that with the rack) and take a look at that shaft. Thanks for the information.
RagJag.
Did you centre the rack using the method I described above if not the rack might not be centred properly. Do this before you go modifying the pinch bolt.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

The rack to column connection is only designed to go on one way. Then you center the rack and align the car. If you center the rack and the steering wheel is off center you need to remove the airbag and install the steering wheel properly. If the rack is centered you have the same turning left and right.

Trying to understand what you hacked up? The shaft sticking out of the rack? Now your car turn one way better than the other. A good proper alignment can tell you if your rack is centered or not. The new machines all check the turning angle left and right.

Well good luck.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:37 PM

Didn't hack up anything Greg. Just modified the shaft which should have been that way from the manufacturer. The rack is centered, the steering wheel is centered and my wheels are alligned. I only avoided removing the airbag and steering wheel. Guess some folks just can't bring themselves to think outside the box.
I am trying to explain what I 'hacked up'. The steering shaft goes through the floor or firewall of the car. There is a universal joint there. I only ground a grove all the way around that shaft so the u-joint can be installed so as to center the wheel. Understand there is already a notch in that shaft to accomodate the pinch bolt. I now can install the bolt anywhere around the shaft. The u-joint still can not come off the shaft with the bolt in place just as it couldn't originally. I hope this explains it. RagJag

Old 07-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 8,076 Likes on 4,871 Posts

The rebuilders don't center the rack properly so you you have to either RE-CENTER or just pull the U-Joint off the column (or cut a groove all the way around another shaft??) to get the wheel close enough so you don't run out of threads on the outer tie rod ends.

The Jaguar factory re-man racks are proper but the aftermarket units are ALWAYS a challenge. I ALWAYS have to twirl the shaft after an install.

I would not want to spend time to cut a groove around another shaft but if you did not know that the lower column already had one then you solved the problem.

bob gauff

Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 AM

Ah, Motorcarman! Finally someone that understands what I did. I still will have a look at the shaft at the pinion. I don't remember seeing a grove in it.
RagJag

Old 07-27-2012, 12:33 PM

Motorcarman, I looked at my steering column at the pinion today. There is no groove around the pinion shaft. The upper half of the univrsal joint does not even have a connection to a shaft as it is one piece, about 6" long and seems to connect to the shaft going through the floorboard. There is a curious looking device there but no alusion to it in the service manual. Is it possible that the design was changed in 95-96?
RagJag

Old 07-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you turned it all the way lock to lock yet? If the steering column is not centered you risk breaking the spiral spring for the airbag. I know what you did but I have to disagree with you. Not thinking outside the box but rather hacking. Anyway it is your car and you are free to do what you want.

Quick Reply: Centering steering wheel 1996 4.0