XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Change Turn Signal Assembly

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 07:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Change Turn Signal Assembly

I had previously purchased and installed the new designed wiper arm that mounts on the turn signal bracket to replace the original defective arm that would not stop the wipers at the bottom of the wind screen . I was looking for a new turn signal arm and mounting assembly because the hi-beam lights would not latch in and the plastic tightening ring around the steering column was cracked (see attached picture). There are a lot of used 1989 XJS turn signal arm and mounting brackets for sale around that have the same issue as mine. The plastic mounting bracket that tightens around the steering column is cracked and broken due to age or over tightening (see attached picture). I found a brand new turn signal and mounting bracket never installed from a XJ6 part number AEU 2802 for half the price the uses and probably broken AEU 2525 or AEU1733 part number called out for the 1989 XJS. All of the suppliers I contacted said the AEU 2802 for the XJ6 would not fit the XJS V12. Manufacturers change part numbers from year to year or model to model all the time to charge more for the older part number even they are the exact same part as an earlier or later model. Look at the pictures or drawings and specifications and you may find a part that will fit your car at a lower price.

My question Is what have people done with the deteriorated insulating and supporting foam inside the steering column for the horn rod? How far down does the foam go, do you replace it or leave it as is? The foam in the column looks just like the sound insulating foam used on the back of the knee bolster and other areas (see attached pictures). The foam insulation turns to dust if you barely touch it. Has anyone performed work on this issue?

There are different types of lubrication Jaguar used back in the 1980's. Jaguar recommended Lithium grease on the parts for today is what I have seen. I used the recommended Lithium grease on all of the door parts and it gunked all of the parts up. I had to clean all of the door parts and used the standard NLGI No 2 black grease on all metal to metal rubbing parts, springs latches, hundges, gears etc. When I was cleaning the door parts you could see that jaguar use standard NLGI No 2 black grease in the original installation of most of the metal parts. I use different lubricants on different parts. I use standard NLGI No 2 black grease on all metal to metal rubbing parts like the steering columns, springs, hinges, metal gears etc. I used Silicone lubricant on metal parts that come into contact with rubber, plastic, window tracks, key locks. The silicone is compatible with standard NLGI No 2 grease. Lithium grease drys thick, tacky and attracts dirt and dust, typically used for metal parts only for derusting, lubrication and should not be used on plastic or electrical parts. I used Silicone lubricant on the horn rod and standard NLGI No 2 grease on the steering column. Has anyone used anything different for the lubrication of the steering parts? I think the foam in the steering column has just deteriorated due to use over the last 34 years.

All the best on your projects,

Old 05-25-2023, 11:05 AM

I took out the round foam piece with a hole in the center that is used to a line the horn rod. The foam ring is small and looks like the rings in the door panels used to separate the two rods that lock and unlock the doors. The foam ring did not fall apart like I thought it would. It is not in the best condition but based on what it is used for I am going to reuse the foam guide for the horn rod. One correction in the original post regarding the description in the uses of the silicone lubricant. The silicone lubricant can be used on rubber, metal, plastic, vinyl, door seals, cables, window tracks, etc. The lubricant can not be used on electrical parts.

Thanks for suggestions and information

Old 05-26-2023, 03:30 PM

I had to replace the foam guide in the lower steering wheel shaft for alinement of the horn rod. I cut a new foam guide from the back of a spare knee bolster. The new foam guide fits great and looks just like the original foam guide (see attached picture).

My new problem is that the steering wheel upper spline shaft with the black adjustment ring with the set screw tab does not go down far enough to insert the holding screw into the hole of the turn signal assembly. Is the set screw on the black adjustment ring to go over the lower steering shaft to the hole on the turn signal housing to get the alignment tab on the black adjustment unit tight to the turn signal unit (see attached picture)? The alignment tab is and set screw hole approximately a 1/4" short. Any recommendations?

Attached Files
Old 06-07-2023, 11:35 AM

I am having issues with the new turn signal switch blowing fuse #5 in the main fuse panel. The change out of the signal arm should be simple. Light green/blue is feeding the switch, green/red for left turn signal, green/white for right turn signal, blue/black high beam flash headlights with a black push-in connector I connected to the black from the windscreen wiper, another black push-in connector I connected to the black from the windscreen wiper, the last wire is white with a push-in connector I have not connected it to anything, I don't know where it goes. I put in a new fuse the turn signal and flasher work great. Once I step on the break it blows the fuse. I think I am getting some kind of back feet from the stop light relay. (see attached pictures of the new turn signal I installed and the switch I removed). Is there a way to test the stop light failure sensor?