XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Changing Ski Slope panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Changing Ski Slope panel

In case anyone wanted a "How-To" on changing out the stock Ski Slope console panel, I copy/pasted my experience from the weekend to a new thread, as it would not get found from a previous Spring Update post.

Changing SkiSlope
[QUOTE=RagJag;730372]Gregh, if you would be so kind, please let the forum know if the ski slope is a good modification. I need one, too.
Thanks.
RagJag

Well, I took the plunge this morning to change out the original Ski Slope panel in my '89 XJS convertible, as I wanted fitted Cup Holders, plus the stock Walnut Burl one was very faded into a light colour and had hair-line cracks through it.- Note the faded/original strip on the stock one on the right in the comparing photo.
I had just bought this one from an e-bay seller, located in Quebec, simply because he offered a good price on the Ski Slope and a custom Shifter Knob together, nearly $100.00 cheaper than most of the US sellers and I did not need to contend with Border Services, me being in Atlantic Canada.

At first I thought I'd need to remove the shifter, but once I began the removal process, realized I only needed to slide the shifter into neutral and turn the ski slope sideways to slip it up over it. -I began by removing the ashtrays, cruise control switch, and lighter. -Then came the three switches for windows and power top. I could not remove the 3 switches in the frame as an assembly, but they popped out of the frame easily, and I simply unplugged each one and set them on the dash in location sequence. There are two 5/16" small bolts mid-slope you will see after you remove the lighter and cruise switch, they only need loosening 1/8", as the bracket is slotted. Remove the center console latch cover at the rear of the ski slope, this exposes the only screw actually holding this ski slope in place. Pry or lift the rear of the slope panel, pull to the rear slightly to release it from the dash, and voila, it is in your hands.

To answer RagJag's question, this new slope is beautifully made, and though not actual wood, has a genuine walnut burl wood look, and is coated with a very hard epoxy/polymer coating. The cutouts are perfect, and looks very much as if it was cut by a CAD water-jet cutter, so precise around the center mounting tangs/brackets.
I snapped the 3-switch frame into it's hole, and lined the shifter hole with the original rubber trim and tried it for fit. After slipping it over the shifter (in neutral) and sliding the front under the heater control panel, I could have forced it over the center glove box latch area, but I removed it again and took a 4" disk grinder and removed approx. 1/16" from the rear of the ski slope. This let it slip into place easily, with the rear screw and the center tangs line up perfectly. While I could still slip my fingers underneath, I snapped the 3 switches in place and plugged them in, tightened the 5/16" bolts, fit the rear screw, re-installed the cruise switch and ciggy lighter socket, popped the cup holders in place and drove to the coffee shop to see the result. It was very satisfying to have the security of the cups staying in the holders and not need to keep a finger on the cup while driving. The photos show the job. I'll do the Shifter Knob next.
I'm happy, happy, happy.
Attached Thumbnails

Marelli Ignition, S/N SAJNL486KC159703
[/SIGPIC]

Attached Images  
The following 2 users liked this post by gregh:
JimC64 (05-09-2013), RagJag (01-17-2014)
Old 05-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@Greg

Nice upgrade......

The cup holders look kind of small......... what size of Starbucks cup do they hold ? :-)

Old 05-06-2013, 07:28 PM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,562 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The ones without the sleeves! They hold all coffee cups, and cans. You have to be very careful on travel mugs. Most will not fit, but there's a wide enough selection that do.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Grats - just changed mine this afternoon. I got a full set from Paul's jags last year (NOS). I finally got around to it after watching a video from Myrtle Productions over in the UK. Turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Hope to get all the wood pieces in by the end of the weekend upcoming but we shall see if it is as easy as he makes it seem on those videos.

BTW, one thing I noticed about those videos is that all the switchgear has already been disconnected before the video.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just trying to change my ski slope on my 1990, but after removing the 2 screws at the glove box, I can't seem to remove the plastic piece to access the last screw that holds the ski slope. It seems to be held by the lid catch. Do you just pull or is there a trick?

Old 11-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by cadfael_tex
Grats - just changed mine this afternoon. I got a full set from Paul's jags last year (NOS). I finally got around to it after watching a video from Myrtle Productions over in the UK. Turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Hope to get all the wood pieces in by the end of the weekend upcoming but we shall see if it is as easy as he makes it seem on those videos.

BTW, one thing I noticed about those videos is that all the switchgear has already been disconnected before the video.
Seems like you're saying that you have your ski slope replaced and that you will be changing "all the wood pieces" by the weekend, meaning all four dash panels, and this would include the "SRS" panel, correct?

Yes, these people make it look easy by skipping certain steps, such as those required for the "SRS" panel replacement (the longer panel in front of the passenger). This is the tricky step that complicates things because this panel is held from behind with four nuts screwed to the panel's four threaded studs and this is exactly where the airbag is. This is why you're forced to pull the whole dash (fascia) out to gain access to the 4 nuts from behind without taking a chance with the mechanically triggered passenger airbag.

Be careful and good luck.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Old 11-15-2013, 01:38 AM
rgp
Veteran Member
Received 396 Likes on 291 Posts

looks like an original jag trim piece, fits in well with the car,
bet your pleased your airbag-less

Last edited by rgp; 11-15-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 AM

Thanks guys...but I'm only working on the ski slope. Another site was calling the storage at the end of the ski slope the glove box. I'm trying to remove the end panel with the catch in that storage at the end of the ski slope. I opened the storage and took out the 2 screws, but I can't take out that plastic piece, it seems to be held by the lid catch...none of the posting talk about prying it out or anything else??

Old 11-16-2013, 06:41 PM
Received 178 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm making my own replacement ski slope. Since my '87 has the black metal slope, I'm fabricating one out of plastic. I really can't stand the wasted space that the ash trays take up (I don't smoke). I've also "fabricated" a cup holder...well, it's actually a water bottle holder, out of the cap of a wasp spray fan. I didn't want to block access to the radio/temp controls so I moved it back and out a bit. It doesn't look as weird in the car as one might suspect from the picture (original is on the left, homemade version on the right). The best part was the cost...near zero. I had the sheet of plastic sitting around from some earlier project, and the can of bug spray was only $6.

Oh...the red pins are there to keep my mobile phone from sliding around.

It's not the fancy look of professionally made stuff, but it was cheap and is functional.

Cheers,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
63,000 miles

Attached Thumbnails Changing Ski Slope panel-ski-slope-1.jpg  
Old 11-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by J_C_R
I'm making my own replacement ski slope. Since my '87 has the black metal slope, I'm fabricating one out of plastic. I really can't stand the wasted space that the ash trays take up (I don't smoke). I've also "fabricated" a cup holder...well, it's actually a water bottle holder, out of the cap of a wasp spray fan. I didn't want to block access to the radio/temp controls so I moved it back and out a bit. It doesn't look as weird in the car as one might suspect from the picture (original is on the left, homemade version on the right). The best part was the cost...near zero. I had the sheet of plastic sitting around from some earlier project, and the can of bug spray was only $6.

Oh...the red pins are there to keep my mobile phone from sliding around.

It's not the fancy look of professionally made stuff, but it was cheap and is functional.

Cheers,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
63,000 miles
It looks nice by me. Perhaps you may want to add some texture to make it look more like OEM finish. I believe you can get that texture in a spray can form.

Cheers,

Old 11-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

What are those? Mini toggle switches or LED's?

Old 11-16-2013, 07:30 PM

They are just little "studs" that hold my I-Phone down so it doesn't slide around. The plastic is slightly slippery, and the phone will shoot right off the ski slope on anything resembling an aggressive right turn. The studs keep it in place.

The good news is that if I ever want to dramatically change anything it's just an hour or so with a Dremel tool and I can cut out another one. The plastic comes it 2x3 sheets at Lowes and it's pretty cheap.

I do my best to keep the outside of the car pure, but on the inside I favor functionality over original appearance...plus, I only have so much money to spend :-)

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
63,000 miles

Old 11-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by J_C_R
They are just little "studs" that hold my I-Phone down so it doesn't slide around. The plastic is slightly slippery, and the phone will shoot right off the ski slope on anything resembling an aggressive right turn. The studs keep it in place.

The good news is that if I ever want to dramatically change anything it's just an hour or so with a Dremel tool and I can cut out another one. The plastic comes it 2x3 sheets at Lowes and it's pretty cheap.

I do my best to keep the outside of the car pure, but on the inside I favor functionality over original appearance...plus, I only have so much money to spend :-)

Thanks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12
63,000 miles
Can't hardly blame you there; there are so many clever interior conveniencies available, which are fairly easy to install, that I find it almost silly to pass on them for the sake of "purity", as long as it isn't something wild for just the sake of being wild.

Regarding things flying on a slippery surface, what kind of material are the keys on your I-phone made of? I place my radio's remote control with the keys facing down. The rubber-ish keys stick to the surface and hold the device in place, besides, I do this with all of my (home) remotes just to keep the keypads clean.

Cheers,

Old 11-17-2013, 05:26 PM

It's an I-Phone, so it has a touch screen. It would be "slippery" either rightside-up or upside-down.

I'd thought about the texture stuff, but not sure if it would stick all that well to plastic. This stuff is pretty easy to work with as long as you don't need to glue, epoxy or paint it. It seems to resist all sticky things.

John

Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Brayon
Thanks guys...but I'm only working on the ski slope. Another site was calling the storage at the end of the ski slope the glove box. I'm trying to remove the end panel with the catch in that storage at the end of the ski slope. I opened the storage and took out the 2 screws, but I can't take out that plastic piece, it seems to be held by the lid catch...none of the posting talk about prying it out or anything else??
I am stuck on this exact step. Does the plastic piece just pry over the latch? I found this picture, which makes me think it prys off, but not sure:

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...09874203_n.jpg

Or is there another trick to getting this off without breaking anything?

Old 01-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 385 Posts

From memory you need to take the lid of completely.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:49 AM

It just pries out. There is a metal piece under it that the receiver part of the latch sets in. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
jnporcello (01-16-2014)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

My wood is in pretty good shape, but the ski slope varnish or coating is cracked badly. I think the wood underneath will come out OK, after removing the varnish and sanding.

Does anybody know what color stain was originally used? I know I'm not going to match exactly the 24 year old other wood pieces, but a starting point would be nice if anybody happens to know that.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Looks good, and the price was a good one. I recently bought a used ski slope on ebay and going to veneer it myself. Just finished up re-veneering my trim work as it was cracked and chipped.