XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Changing the Steering Column from 89 to 90

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,784 Likes on 2,618 Posts
Default Changing the Steering Column from 89 to 90

I've posted something about this before but what I would like to do, or should I say, am obsessed with doing, is Changing the Steering Column from the one that's in my 1989 XJS V12 to that as fitted in a 1990 XJS V12.

I've had a quote to do this for £500, if I can supply the Steering Column, with all the Switch gear on it, and they say they can very easily blank off the front facing ignition Switch, as the 1990 Column, has a side entry key.

The reason being that those flimsy indicator stalks are driving me Crazy, I absolutely hate them with a passion.

The 1990 ones are so much better.

Being hands on with my XJS I would like to do this job myself.

The only thing I might trip up on, is the electrical wiring.

Has anybody done one? are the Plug in connectors the same?

How difficult is it to do, any advice appreciated.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,263 Likes on 5,441 Posts

OB
After the battery exploding episode I would leave well alone! I also have a theory that the original (non Ford) switchgear that you have (and which was on all Jaguars since about 1974 or earlier) will come to be seen as the sort to have in the cash-laden high worth future that the XJS is just starting on! Personally, I have always hated columns which you poke the key into sideways, and love the old fashioned way the key is pushed into the forward facing ignition keyhole!

As I realise nothing will stop you, a few things to check:
  1. Does your car have the Electrolux-powered wiper motor system with levers not wheelboxes? If it does NOT have this more modern system, then the wiring will not be 100% compatible. I know this as if you fit the Electrolux to my car (much better system altogether) you lose the intermittent wipe facility.
  2. You can easily look at the plugs to see if they are the same, but Grant or someone else will know.
  3. I think (not sure) that some if not all of the more modern columns have up and down adjustment, and no in and out. Your car should have the in and out adjuster and no up and down. I have a feeling that the up and down adjuster meant some changes were made by the factory to the dash board hardware, again you need to check.
  4. If you have cruise control, then that may involve a different actuating system too, again you need to check and be certain before starting.
  5. If the CC switches and other switches are all doing exactly the same thing, just a different design but not a different function (if you follow me), the electrics are in principle easy, even if you have to buy modern multiconnector plugs and replace both the loom side and the switch side.
The actual swap is not too bad, but not an absolute walk in the park either. The column has to be disconnected at the footwell spline, and two separate brackets unbolted behind the dash, which will require the instrument pod to be removed completely. Then you can get to the bolts holding the column at the driver end and the second set nearer the feet.

Research first is the key here, it would be a really bad idea to dive in and find all sorts of things do not really work afterwards!
Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-23-2016)
Old 02-23-2016, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,784 Likes on 2,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
OB
After the battery exploding episode I would leave well alone! I also have a theory that the original (non Ford) switchgear that you have (and which was on all Jaguars since about 1974 or earlier) will come to be seen as the sort to have in the cash-laden high worth future that the XJS is just starting on! Personally, I have always hated columns which you poke the key into sideways, and love the old fashioned way the key is pushed into the forward facing ignition keyhole!

As I realise nothing will stop you, a few things to check:
  1. Does your car have the Electrolux-powered wiper motor system with levers not wheelboxes? If it does NOT have this more modern system, then the wiring will not be 100% compatible. I know this as if you fit the Electrolux to my car (much better system altogether) you lose the intermittent wipe facility.
  2. You can easily look at the plugs to see if they are the same, but Grant or someone else will know.
  3. I think (not sure) that some if not all of the more modern columns have up and down adjustment, and no in and out. Your car should have the in and out adjuster and no up and down. I have a feeling that the up and down adjuster meant some changes were made by the factory to the dash board hardware, again you need to check.
  4. If you have cruise control, then that may involve a different actuating system too, again you need to check and be certain before starting.
  5. If the CC switches and other switches are all doing exactly the same thing, just a different design but not a different function (if you follow me), the electrics are in principle easy, even if you have to buy modern multiconnector plugs and replace both the loom side and the switch side.
The actual swap is not too bad, but not an absolute walk in the park either. The column has to be disconnected at the footwell spline, and two separate brackets unbolted behind the dash, which will require the instrument pod to be removed completely. Then you can get to the bolts holding the column at the driver end and the second set nearer the feet.

Research first is the key here, it would be a really bad idea to dive in and find all sorts of things do not really work afterwards!
Greg
Hi Greg

Thanks,

I'm not too bothered on value, as there is not enough money to make me part with her.

I'll have to have a look at the Wiper system, when I get her out of the Garage on Monday Weather permitting.

I had to replace the Steering lock on the Merc a few years ago and never mind being a 'Walk in the Park' it was more like a 'One Way Ticket To Hell'

Its got the 'Push Pull' adjustment, which I have never used and it certainly looks like it would go straight in.

Although my biggest nightmare, would be finding the electrics are all different.

I was hoping that the later one, would be plug and play but life is never that easy, and I am very reluctant to pull the binnacle out to have a look, so I'll leave it till XJS no3, is back on the road.