Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 07:49 AM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Chasseur XJ-S

Interesting.

Old 10-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,254 Likes on 5,435 Posts

Chasseur was a UK go-faster shop that basically took perfectly good Jaguars and did things to the suspension and sometimes engine (though not to the XJS V12 AFAIK) that made them handle like the suspension was solid and by adding turbos sometimes made them faster but undrivable in normal conditions!
Greg

Old 10-21-2017, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Chasseur was a UK go-faster shop that basically took perfectly good Jaguars and did things to the suspension and sometimes engine (though not to the XJS V12 AFAIK) that made them handle like the suspension was solid and by adding turbos sometimes made them faster but undrivable in normal conditions!
Greg
There is currently a post in Facebook xjrs site of one Greg. No info and l know nothing of them but it is a twelve with blue manifolds and giant "Chasseur" badge.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:44 PM
Received 279 Likes on 163 Posts

Here's a pic of the V12 from the XJRS post.

The following 2 users liked this post by petemohr:
Flint Ironstag (10-22-2017), Greg in France (10-22-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

That supercharged 400 BHP version must make it a very impressive XJS.
Any info on how much these mods cost?

Cheers,

Old 10-27-2017, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member

and by adding turbos sometimes made them faster but undrivable in normal conditions!
Greg
Would you happen to know what is it that made them undrivable in normal conditions? Uncontrolled power, or erratic gas pedal, perhaps?

Cheers,

Old 10-28-2017, 12:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
Would you happen to know what is it that made them undrivable in normal conditions? Uncontrolled power, or erratic gas pedal, perhaps?
A ride quality that shakes out your fillings, and a on/off turbo that comes in with a thump after a decent lag. So I deduced, reading between the lines of a road test of a modified XJ40 years and years ago. Plus hideous plastic add-ons to the bodywork of the XJ40.
Greg

Old 10-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member

A ride quality that shakes out your fillings, and a on/off turbo that comes in with a thump after a decent lag. So I deduced, reading between the lines of a road test of a modified XJ40 years and years ago. Plus hideous plastic add-ons to the bodywork of the XJ40.
Greg
A turbo does give you an unwanted lag, although twin turbo's (i.e. a smaller one paired with a larger one) typically resolves the lag issue to a decent extent. But the supercharger, if it works/feels like the one on my XJR, will behave very much like a normally aspirated engine, except for the awesome power superiority and then, at least in my case, no fillings have, yet, been shaken out... Is this truly an issue, that the extra acceleration is just "too violent" for our body integrity?

My question on this is, is there a problem with increasing power to an XJS, or even an XJ6, or whatever, to a level that closely matches the power that Jaguar began to achieve with the superchargers in the mid-nineties? The after market supercharger industry is doing great here in America and lots of enthusiast enjoy the fact that it's there for their Mustangs, Chevy's, Mopar's, you name it. in the case of the XJS, ownership (the market) would be too small (i.e. price too high) and owner's enthusiasm even smaller, so they wouldn't sell more than three XJS superchargers, if that many.

Cheers,

Old 10-29-2017, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member

Forcedair;
I totally agree that supercharging is a great way to improve power in a road car, with no lag problems either.
Packaged in an XJS, I believe it is just about impossible to supercharge or turbocharge a V12 successfully for a decent road car. I know it has been done once or twice 9how the cars actually drove I have no idea), but the body mods are guastly and the heat and reliability problems just about insoluble in unmodified bodywork.
The AJ6/AJ16 is a very different matter, and Jaguar supercharged it themselves in the saloons as you mention. In an XJS, I expect it is possible to fit a supercharged AJ6, but I have never read any articles about such modified cars, although I seem to remember two being put up for sale not so long ago.
Greg

Old 10-30-2017, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

In an XJS, I expect it is possible to fit a supercharged AJ6, but I have never read any articles about such modified cars, although I seem to remember two being put up for sale not so long ago.
Greg
You're right, but I believe you're talking about those two '95 cars which sold on eBay, in which case it wasn't an AJ6 engine that was modified but rather the cars modified with supercharged AJ16 engines from X300 XJR's.

You know, I can't complain about this because I didn't buy one of those cars, myself, however, I still think that an XJS with a supercharged AJ16 engine is the ultimate example of car bliss... a very unique car, so .... then, why didn't such beauties sell for months on eBay until the price kept going down to what a "normal" XJS sells for? The ideal XJS, yet it wouldn't attract enthusiasts. They never recovered the superb "extras" that they had enhanced the cars with. I did think about it, but I already have an XJS and enough money has been spent on it already and, I rather stay married....

Cheers,

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Forcedair1
They never recovered the superb "extras" that they had enhanced the cars with. I did think about it, but I already have an XJS and enough money has been spent on it already and, I rather stay married....

Cheers,
Snap! One is strain enough...