XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cheapest Jaguar Car Club

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

It depends how they define a 'Club'.
From various sources:-

'an ​organization of ​people with a ​common ​purpose or ​interest, who ​meet ​regularly and take ​part in ​shared ​activities'.

'an association dedicated to a particular interest or activity'.

'an association of persons for some common object usually jointly supported and meeting periodically'.

I particularly like this one because of its car related aspect:

'to ​beat a ​person or an ​animal, usually ​repeatedly, with a ​heavy ​stick or ​object.'

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...-DYBkejpT68Aew

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,773 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve M
It depends how they define a 'Club'.
From various sources:-

'an ​organization of ​people with a ​common ​purpose or ​interest, who ​meet ​regularly and take ​part in ​shared ​activities'.

'an association dedicated to a particular interest or activity'.

'an association of persons for some common object usually jointly supported and meeting periodically'.

I particularly like this one because of its car related aspect:

'to ​beat a ​person or an ​animal, usually ​repeatedly, with a ​heavy ​stick or ​object.'

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...-DYBkejpT68Aew
LMAO

BTW is your Car still Smoking?

Old 04-07-2016, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brake buster
it all comes to what you want from a club

if you want nothing than to bring down car insurance, then its not for you

if you want a community of people who exchange information and ideas and help each other out as well as being able to get together and receive a good quality magazine, then you may want to think about it , you get out what you put in in many things in life , same with a car club ,

as they say

pays ur money , takes ur choice

i would like the JEC to gain another member, but if that member feels its not worth the ' money ' then personally , its not the ' club ' for him ( or her )

BB
Hi BB

I've got nothing against Car Clubs, or the People who join them and in fact I think for some people they are a good idea.

For me its more a lack of time to try and fit everything in and with so many plates to spin, in getting another Car back on the road, its not a practical proposition for me at the moment.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 846 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
In Principal that's a good idea but I'm not sure if it qualifies, as a 'bona_fide' Car Club and you have to be so Careful with Insurance Companies.

Who should the worst ever happen, will no doubt be looking for any excuse not to pay out on a Claim.

Just get them to confirm in writing that Jaguarforums.com fits the definition. If you think about it, it's more of a real car club than most. From all the technical advice to holding events and get togethers:

Join JaguarForums In Scotland this June! - JaguarForums

I'm sure there are other examples you can find. Really shouldn't be difficult to convince them if you pitch correctly.

orangeblossom (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mac Allan
Just get them to confirm in writing that Jaguarforums.com fits the definition. If you think about it, it's more of a real car club than most. From all the technical advice to holding events and get togethers:

I'm sure there are other examples you can find. Really shouldn't be difficult to convince them if you pitch correctly.
Too Risky!

Its a Forum not a Club, so unfortunately I am going to have to pass on that one.

Old 04-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan

Absolutely. If you stop and try to assess the incredible amount of information collected and stored here in this forum, along with the huge number of members that are on'line at any given moment, let alone the grand total number of active members, on-line or not, this forum is quite powerful, probably more valuable as a source of support and information than just about any club outhere. Besides, I understand that many gatherings take place within various different Jag models member enthusiasts that, in the end, probably more than match the meeting activities of the typical clubs.

It's just that the nature of our organization is different, but what you get from it more than qualifies as a club.

My two cents.
Cheers, Pl

Old 04-07-2016, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Too Risky!

Its a Forum not a Club, so unfortunately I am going to have to pass on that one.
What exactly is the risk of just asking them?

Apologies, but I guess I don't understand the reluctance.

Old 04-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

There is an XJS thread asking about where to see a lot of XJSs in one place, and one of the replies mentions the Jaguar Enthusiasts Club.

Jaguar Enthusiasts Club, Classic British Cars, Jaguar Owners Club, Jaguar Tool Hire, The largest Jaguar Club covering all models including E-type, S-type, X300, XJS, XJ, Mark 2, XK8

UK membership is only 50 quid. Renewal is 45.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member

In this case I'm not dealing with the Underwriters direct but having to go through a Broker, who 'may' have to obtain my Quote through a Standard series of Questions and Answers.

And who as such may not have scope for doing this in any other way.

So I've decided to take the Pragmatic approach and as such may decide to go with one of the Car Clubs that they recognise, providing that the discount exceeds the joining fee.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,255 Likes on 5,436 Posts

Alan
JDC are a bit less if you do not mid having an electronic version of their mag. Arguably not quite as good a mag, JEC technical bloke, the Great Dave Marks very good; but then, we have the WoZ, FoC.
https://jaguardriver.co.uk/join.php
Greg

Last edited by Greg in France; 04-08-2016 at 05:32 AM.
orangeblossom (04-08-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Car Clubs and Insurance company discounts ?

1. Is a false statement on an application a basis for denying a subsequent claim? Actually, disclaimer is a better term. If the false statement is intentional, not only a denial of that claim but a disclaimer of the entire policy. Breach of contract by fraud.
No membership in any auto related organization. Clear.

Or, just interpretation. This forum for example. A club in the eyes of some, mebbe. But, fails an ordinary understanding. Written rules. Membership enrollment. Mission statement. elected leaders. organized meetings.

Here, insurance companies, for the most part, are very careful before disclaiming coverage. Strict regulation in this state anyway.

Somewhat the same in denial of a claim. but, for the most part they rely on policy language and established facts.

In other parts of the world, I don't know.

I've never been much of a joiner. But, no criticism of those that do.

Here we have AAA, aka the autoclub. An insurance company. And also provides road service, trip planning, discounts, etc. A club by name only, but, would it qualify as to an offered discount. I don't know.

Carl

Old 04-10-2016, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,255 Likes on 5,436 Posts

UK insurers will use any ambiguity to avoid paying a claim. You can be 100% sure that for their purposes a Car Club means one you join and pay a sub to annually. Under UK law insurance contracts are held to an "utmost good faith" standard on the part of the insured, so anything that is arguable is just about automatically grounds for the insurer repudiating the contract and refusing benefits under it.
Under UK law, if you want to claim that a non-normal association of some sort is a Club under the meaning of the policy, you have a duty to inform the insurer and ask if it qualifies as a club before you sign the proposal form. Furthermore, arguing with insurers in the civil courts, which is where you swiftly end up if they refuse a claim, is a horrendously expensive and lengthy business that is not worth it on a 125 quid policy.
Greg

orangeblossom (04-12-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 12:54 PM
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

$0.02 cents from a 'Yank' ......if you can satisfy the 'car club' requirement with what is equal to $15.70 U.S. and the new policy saves you more than $15.70 U.S. then your ahead.

I certainly understand having to, what can feel like, kowtowing to 'fine print' That being said, if you have to abide by their 'fine print' (as in all contracts) then 'they' have to abide by it too.

My suggestion, pay the 10 quid, get the membership card and mag, meet their 'requirement' ....then do or don't go to any functions as you see fit and take the discounted policy.

Eh.......just keep your eye on the price....the discounted policy. Tell them what they want to hear and do what you want to do.

Best wishes from across the 'pond'

03 S type R Quartz/lt. gry
past tense....57 CK140 DHC

Old 04-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Greg:

Very interesting. Contract law is a very well developed subject.
Based in the Common Law. We colonials kept it. probably butched it
up more than a little.

It has always intrigued me. As insurance policies are written by the insurer, with little or no input by the insured, they are termed contracts of adhesion. To be interpreted to the best benefit of the insured.

Now, a more general concept follows in ordinary contracts. Any ambiquities shall be construed against the the writer.

But, yeah, insurance professionals of which I was one for fifty years,
often misconstrue these basic principles.

Way back when, I bought a brand new 53 MG TD in BRG. My one and only new car that I ever have bought.

SOG, a GI truck ran into the right front!!! Luckily I and my passenger
escaped with scrapes on our foreheads. I had the right of way, he coming out on to the strasse!!! The GI administrator of claims denied my claim Just pro forma, I guess.

Then my insurer decided that the broken spark plug was a mechanical failure and excluded. Misinterpretation of the exclusion. Clear, but,
I had no recourse. So, I just paid for it....

When I was employed by an insurer, a very defined path had to be followed before coverage was disclaimed. Mere denials still needed a supervisor or better to sign off. Most clearly reasoned and properly done.

Much later, as an independent, I did see some that were just flat wrong. Reasoning flawed or non-existant.

My insurer turned me down over a storm "felled" tree. the word was of utmost import. I failed to convince them. So, I went to Small Claim
Court. My Adjuster opposed me there. She made a feeble defense. I must have done better, as I won. They failed to file the closing papers. I got my check. So, did I counsel them how to do it. Ha!!!!

Carl

The following 3 users liked this post by JagCad:
Greg in France (04-11-2016), m.w.l. (04-12-2016), orangeblossom (04-12-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Greg is 100% Correct

Any ambiguity can either impinge on or nullify your Claim

'Technically' a Forum is not a Car Club, as there is no 'Paid' Membership or any sort of Committee, plus a host of other stuff that may be too numerous to mention.

One of the Questions they always seem to ask (in the UK) is how many other Cars do you have available in your Household.

At a quick count I've got about 8 including 4 X XJS's a Merc and an MGB

But this could be a 'Bear Trap' for the unwary, as apart from One XJS and my Merc, all the other Cars are on a SORN.

Which means you are declaring them, as being 'Off the Road' ie not Taxed and Insured.

In my eyes they are in my Household and available to use (If I Tax and Insure Them)

But an Insurance Company may take a different view and in the event of a Claim may argue the Case for some 'Misrepresentation' even though this doesn't 'Materially' effect the status of the Cars that I am driving.

So unless I make it 'Crystal Clear' that these other Cars are on a SORN that in itself Can provide a very convenient 'Loophole' to jump through.

The same goes for a Car Club as opposed to a Forum, where while both of them clearly demonstrate that you are an Enthusiast.

Trying to Convince them that an 'Apple is an Orange' may serve to destabilise your quote and in the event you make a Claim, 'may' also form the basis of some sort of argument for Misrepresentation.

As these kinds Questions on Proposal Forms, do not 'Normally' give you, the option of 'Multiple Choice'

As an example one proposal Specified that I needed to have my Car fitted with a 'Thatcham Alarm Immobiliser'

My Car has a 'Clifford' which does exactly the same job and probably does it every bit as well.

But in their eyes, they may View this as being an 'Apple' Not an 'Orange'

With the result that in the event of a Claim, they may pay out a 'Third Party' and leave me to pick up the pieces.

Or they may decide to pay my Claim but not 'The Agreed Valuation' and just give me 'Market Value'

Any 'Barrack Room' Lawyers among you, could no doubt argue about stuff like this all day long, and while I 'genuinely' do appreciate your help and advice.

The Final decision on which way to go, really has to be mine.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 04-11-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Never been asked how many cars in the household.
Just tell them that it has a Clifford alarm and ask them what their definition of a 'Club' is.
If they won't play ball then sod them and go somewhere les, there are plenty more out there.

orangeblossom (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
Never been asked how many cars in the household.
Just tell them that it has a Clifford alarm and ask them what their definition of a 'Club' is.
If they won't play ball then sod them and go somewhere les, there are plenty more out there.
Hi Steve

If only life were that simple!

These days there are many firms, who insist that their employees follow a certain set of 'Procedures' when they conduct any business on their behalf.

Which I believe is called 'Training'

As such this effectively means that they don't have much 'Leeway' when it comes down to interpreting, whatever guidelines they may have to follow.

Its not their fault, its just the way things are and I can see it from their point of view, or there would be so many variations, that it would be a nightmare to try and sort out.

And so from Personal experience (which may not be the same as yours) I like to make it as easy for them as I possibly can and keep away from throwing them any 'curve *****'

Last edited by orangeblossom; 04-11-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

What about the XJS Owner Club? I think it was £10 to join for life or so...

orangeblossom (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
What about the XJS Owner Club? I think it was £10 to join for life or so...
Hi Daim

That's the one I'm thinking of joining.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:55 AM
Received 201 Likes on 132 Posts

I am of your particular view of ""clubs" in general. ive only just joined this forum. it seems quite lively. I joined the xjs club when I bought mine and the people are really
decent. A few suggested a meet in Suffolk ,where I live. I was a little apprehensive, as mine is only concours when you stand forty yards away and squint your eyes so you cannot see properly. we had a good time , talking rubbish for an hour, then having a filthy chilli dog in the diner. Well worth it

ps im with Adrian Flux, there were no dopey clauses with mine

Quick Reply: Cheapest Jaguar Car Club