XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,369 Likes on 5,491 Posts

OB
You can still buy Whitworth sockets and spanners, by the way; they are also a perfect fit for the radiator bleed screw. I am pretty sure the hex heads on the brake caliper bolts are A/F, in fact - though the tighter an open-ender is the better.
The front caliper bolts's thread are metric fine, even though the bolt heads are an A/F size. I cannot remember if the rears are metric fine threads or UNF, but watch out for it if you have to change them.
As to crud, I sympathise. My hubs are currently luxuriating in a bath of paraffin (kerosene) to try to loosen 34 years of accumulated grease and grit before I can change the UJs - that always assuming the driveshaft splines can be pressed out!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,109 Likes on 2,052 Posts

OB,

In case you hadn't appreciated, confusingly BSF measures by the size of the shaft on the bolt, not the size of the bolt head / nut. So, a 3/8" BSF actually has a head size of approx. 5/8". That's why your 3/8 BSF spanner is fitting that bolt head. AF is a measurement "Across the Flats" and makes more logical sense when looking at sizes of spanners, as do metric items.

As Greg says, I understand the caliper bolt head is supposed to be 5/8 AF. But I would just go with the best-fitting spanner. As bolt heads corrode, get damaged etc, I often play around with AF, metric or BSF / Whitworth sockets and spanners to get the most appropriate fit on an item. The other way is to use "surface-drive" sockets which can compensate for slightly worn heads to get a better fit. But, I'm guessing you can't get a socket in there, can you?

Cheers

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (11-18-2019), orangeblossom (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 03:43 AM
Received 229 Likes on 148 Posts

Hello All

When I was growing up - my father brought and did up many old tractors - with the focus on Caterpillars. With the old cats - using imperial threads - most of the old bolts came out, Didn't really have to drill too many out by memory. He then purchase 2 old English crawler tractors (forget what the brand name was - but I would say late 40's, early 50's). One had a stuffed frame but complete motor and one had a good frame but the motor was missing. So we tried to transplant the motor from one to the other. After breaking 90% of the whitworth studs, we gave it up as a bad idea.

We did restore other English tractors successfully, but I will always remember that failed experiment. Wile I don't think there would be any whitworth bolts in our XJS, but the thread above brought back memories of 30 years ago for me. All happy ones now

Cheers
Steve

orangeblossom (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,645 Posts

Hi Greg

Good job you and Paul have got an 'Ology' in Spanners, or I would be totally lost, so maybe it would be better to just find one to fit and not overthink it, although I would like to get another one to keep as a spare

Greg in France (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul (ptjs)

Thanks for your help but why on earth do these people make things so complicated, where you need to know the Shaft Size to find the right size spanner, so I am very happy to take your advice and just find a Spanner that fits

Also there is not much room to get a socket in there, although I never tried to do so as I hadn't got the size but in any even the open ended Spanner was plenty good enough to do the job

Last edited by orangeblossom; 11-18-2019 at 02:27 PM.
ptjs1 (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Bez

Looks like you've just gone from one Cat to another!

Always nice to look back, when life was so much better than it is today

Old 11-18-2019, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member

Replacing The Calipers And Rotors On An XJS V12

Part: 6

Removing The Rotors And Caliper

As I'm looking at a very grotty looking IRS my first thoughts are me thinking 'I can do this!' as after all this is the part that I've been really looking forward to, although I'm also thinking that there is every chance that those quite hard to get to rear Caliper Bolts could have well been done up really tight

But the Show must go on and there's only one way to find out, says me as I reach out to pick up my Caliper Spanner, which more by luck than judgment, is the Perfect Size, which even needs a little Tap with a FBH to get it on the Bolt

The only problem being that this Spanner is quite short and as such I can imagine it could be extremely hard to try and get the leverage I'd need to pull it round

'So let's find out!'

First Job was to rip off the Locking Wire, which was easy enough

Once I'd got the Spanner on, there wasn't really much room to manoeuvre but since I had a massive Iron Bar hanging around 'like you do!' which was also the perfect size for the other end of the Spanner, 'I thought what could possibly go wrong!'

The Caliper Bolt was on so Tight that I had to use the Bar at full length to even try and move it, although that really wasn't such a problem

Once I'd got the Bolt to move I could use a bigger Spanner to undo it

All things considered taking off the Caliper was a 'Piece of Cake'

Next Job take the 'Shims' off but remember to keep them together for when the go back

Next Job Pull off the Rotors, which was also a 'Walk in the Park'

Those Rotors were in very poor Condition, so just as well I'm going to put some New Ones on

I've still got the other side to do, including the Removal of a Broken Brake Bleed Nipple but so far so good as up to now its been easier than it looks

Greg in France (11-19-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member

Part: 7

Can you remove a Rear Caliper without Dropping the 'IRS Cage' on a 1990 Pre-Facelift XJS?

Not that its going to bother me now as I've already dropped the 'IRS Cage' on my 1990 Pre-Facelift XJS for many and various reasons, including fitting New Rotors as well as fitting New Calipers and trying to remove a Broken Brake Bleed Nipple, all of which are easier to do if you 'Drop The Cage' which is nowhere near as difficult as it looks

Where maybe the most difficult part is overcoming that Voice in your Head, which tells you its such a difficult job that only a 'Shop' can do it and in any event you are going to need a load of Mates to help you, who know what they are doing and hopefully have more Mechanical experience than you

So in this respect I decided to do all this alone, because from a personal viewpoint I have often found, that when you have someone helping you, then you do tend to feel under pressure to sometimes go along with their ideas, even when your intuition tells you they are wrong

Where one of the last suggestions I accepted from a mate, got me into such a mess that it seemed to take for ever to sort out which I had to do alone as once he realized how much of a problem his 'great idea' had caused, he then made his excuses and promptly disappeared 'so thanks for that' and you know who you are!

'Once bitten twice shy' so this time I'm working alone

Nothing difficult so far but there's still a way to go, as I'm just doing a bit each day and also fitting it in between a load of other jobs that have been on the 'Back Burner' for too long

But yesterday I decided to at least make a start at removing the Rotor and Caliper on the other side of the IRS which has so far been left untouched, when I had an idea of my own, where just in the interests of Research I decided I would see if it would be possible to remove the Caliper without removing the Rotor

So I could see just how hard it could be, although of course I should point out that the Rotor will also be coming off as well but hoped that my little experiment might help someone else if not myself

Its really so much easier to drop the 'IRS Cage' and then do it out of the Car, although I know some people may just not want to do that as perhaps that haven't got the Space to do so

Although there are only Two Bolts holding the Rear Caliper in place, there is very little room to manoeuvre, so trying to undo those bolts could turn out to be a PIA where it is essential to use the right size Spanner, as if you round the Heads of those Bolts, then you could be in Big Trouble! and those Two Bolts will be tight!

Though in the event you are lucky enough to get those Bolts undone, then as you will see from the following Photos it can be done, though as for me having done it once I would always prefer to drop the Cage

Also I was doing this on a 'Marelli Car' so don't know if its possible on a 'Lucas Car' if it has a different shaped diff, as you need to back out those Caliper Bolts, as far as you can where also removing the 'Brake Pads' might give you a bit more 'Jiggle room' although I found I didn't have to do this on my Car

Not much room to manoeuvre and so using the right size Spanner is essential

Those Caliper Bolts on my Car had been put on so tight that I needed to use a 3ft long Bar to give me extra leverage which is another reason why I would always prefer to drop the 'Cage'

The Spanner I used was such a tight fit, that once I'd got those Bolts to move I needed to use another wrench to get the Spanner off the 'Caliper Bolt'

Backing the Caliper Bolts off as far as I could and was going to take the Brake Pads out until I found the Pin had rusted solid!

This 'Hooked Bar' came in useful to lever the Caliper out

That dreaded Broken Bleed Nipple has got to come out!

Caliper out without removing the Rotor not easy but I found it could be done!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 11-21-2019 at 04:10 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Bez74 (11-21-2019), Dukejag (11-25-2019), Greg in France (11-21-2019)
Old 11-24-2019, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Building A Closed Circuit Recirculating Car Parts Washer

For My XJS
Having removed the IRS Cage from my XJS there were a lot of parts that needed Cleaning and Degreasing, where one of those Closed Circuit Parts Washers could come in very handy but as I didn't have one, I decided I would try and make my own

Except before I started I really thought I ought to take a bath!

Perfect just what I needed! which I found at the Dumpster/Skip (could do with a bit of a clean though!)

It will soon clean up, I've seen worse!

Nearly There!

Almost Concourse Condition as you can see!

As the Plan was to turn this Bath into a Recirculating Parts Washer that only needed around 5 Gallons of Cleaner or Degreaser the next job was to assemble all the bits and pieces that I had collected or found laying around in my Shop

Apart from the Power unit this is all you need: Sink Waste/Lock Washer/Blanking Cap/Tank Connector/Hose Connector

Drilling a Hole in the Blanking Cap for the Tank Connector, which will then be screwed on the Sink Waste Fitting

Using a 'Cone Drill' to get the Hole a really good fit for the Tank Connector

Left to Right: Sink Waste/Sealing Washer/Locking Washer/Locking Washer for Tank Connector/Blanking Plate Collar/Blanking Plate With Hole Drilled/Tank Connector with Sealing Washer/Garden Hose Connector

Sink Waste and Locking Washer

Sink Waste with Locking Washer Assembled

Blanking Plate with Collar drilled for the Tank Connector to go through

With the Hose Connector on everything was assembled and ready to go!

Connection Hose will later be cut to length required

Sink Waste fitted into Bath where the Chromium finish helps to give the Bath a Luxury feel, Opulent or What!

Locking the Sink Waste into place with a FBS!

Hose Connector On

Round Magnet, What's that for?

Trial Fitting the Round Magnet

I needed to make a Filter so I took one off our Pond Pump and Fitted it with the Round Magnet using half of a Tank Connector, the idea being that the Filter with the Magnetic Base would Magnetize to the Sink Waste, so I could lift it out for easy Cleaning

'Let's Hope She Never Finds Out!'

To be Continued..................

Last edited by orangeblossom; 11-24-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

For My XJS Part: 2
As for the the Power Source for my Car Parts Washer, I could have used almost any type of Pump but as I wanted something that would give me a little bit more in the way of some Extreme Cleaning I decided to use an old Power Washer which has been kicking around my Shop/Shed ever since I treated myself to a new one

Water Mixed with Soluble Degreaser was poured into the Bath

As for the way the Parts Washer works, you fill the Bath up with enough Water to just about cover the Filter which then Flows down through Sink Waste and Feeds the Pressure Washer in much the same way that it would do if you connected the Pressure Washer to a Garden Hose, the only difference being that the Water is recirculated

The only Question being would it work or even would it mess up the Power Washer but as it was an old one, in the interests of R&D I felt it might be worth the sacrifice

So I started with the dirtiest and the greasiest thing I could find, which was the base plate of the IRS Cage

The Results were better than I ever expected

To be Continued........

darrhel (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,369 Likes on 5,491 Posts

Magnificent OB. What was the degreaser you used?

orangeblossom (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,109 Likes on 2,052 Posts

Well done OB!

That bottom plate seems incredibly straight. Clearly the previous owners have never jacked or supported the car under the rear cage before!

Paul

orangeblossom (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

Part: 3
My Closed Circuit Parts Washer Cleaning the Springs from my Jaguar XJS

Old 11-26-2019, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

The Stuff I've been using is DEB Premium Power Wash

Can't remember how much it was, as its been in the Shed for Years

Old 11-26-2019, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member

Part: 4
The reason for using a Bath to make my Closed Circuit Parts Washer was so I would be able to Wash the IRS Cage and now I know that it works ok that's what I decided to do and Tomorrow I'm planning to Wash the IRS

Old 11-29-2019, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Part: 8
Having just finished building a Closed Circuit 'Jumbo Sized' Parts Washer for my XJS which was big enough to take the IRS Cage, today I decided to give the IRS the 'Spa Bath' Treatment which unlike the 'IRS Cage' could not be fully Submersed, as I didn't want to run the risk of getting any Water into the Crown Wheel and Pinion

Which made filming it so tricky, that I decided to give that a miss, although the end result exceeded my expectations as it not only took all the Grease off but any loose paint as well, which I think might have taken much longer if I had done it any other way

After giving the IRS a bit of the 'Spa Bath' Treatment, the end results exceeded my expectations

There was also one Rotor still to come off and so I decided to do this today after lifting the IRS up with a Block and Tackle

With the Drive Shaft disconnected the Rotor was now ready to come off

Keeping the Shims separated for when I replace the Old Rotors with some New Ones

Old Rotor off, so my next job will be to give the IRS a coat of Primer in order to keep away any Rust that might form during the Winter, once it has dried out

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (11-29-2019), kjopen (11-29-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Part: 9

Removing The Trailing Arms From The IRS
The Weather was pretty bad Today but even so I managed to do a little bit more, which was a Job I had been putting off because I thought it might be difficult and that was removing the smaller ends of the Trailing Arms from the IRS because for one thing they are secured to the 'Drop Arm' with Half the Head of the Bolt having been Cut off!

With Half the head of the Bolt Cut Off (At the Factory) so that it can slide out over the Spring Hanger, how the heck are you supposed to get a Spanner on that?

This was the main reason why I didn't try to undo it, while I was under the Car 'Love those Guys' Lol

The only problem being that I couldn't have been more Wrong!

As although those small end Doughnut Bolts were on there really tight and required the use of a Scaffolding Pole (Not supplied in the Jaguar Toolkit) for a bit of extra leverage, I found that in 'The Scheme Of Things' once I got them moving, they undid easily (ish)

And if I knew then what I know now, then 10/10 I would have undone the 'Small Doughnut End' and then left the 'Big Doughnut End' in place, as I snapped a Bolt off inside the 'Big end' Sill Hanger, which could be very awkward to drill out

So when I replace the Rotors on 'Cherry Blossom' I won't be making that mistake again and will undo the 'Small Doughnut End' except of course if I needed to replace it, or else have to take it off to renew the Bush inside it

A little Persuasion was needed in the shape of a Scaffolding Pole

An even longer Pole was needed for this one!

What was all the fuss about! an Open ended Spanner wouldn't do it but a 19mm Ring Spanner was perfect for the Job!

Dukejag (12-02-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

I'm Pickin Up Good Vibrations

The Con is on!
Flowers!

For meeeh?

Yes! that's right Babe I had them delivered this Morning, especially for You! (ok so I picked some up from the Garage, while I was getting Petrol but She will never know!)

Awwh thaaat's soooo sweeeeet of Yoooou!

Its not my Birthday or anything, so what have I done to deserve this? (That and the Atomic number of Mercury are just two questions I've never been able to answer)

Just for being You Babe, just for being you, as sometimes I think that I just don't deserve you

(GF) Do you know what? sometimes I think that myself

(Me) What do you mean by that! I'm always doing stuff for you, you've got a very short memory I fixed your Washing Machine!

(GF) Yeah! but only after you broke it by trying to Wash all your Car Parts and its never been the same since! it wanders all over the Kitchen now and I have to keep pushing it back, so you can keep it for yourself and buy me a New one!

(Me) For Christmas?

(GF) No! not for Christmas!! You don't give someone a Washing Machine for Christmas! It's Not a Present, you broke it!

(Me) And, And, And, anything else you can think of that I may have done?

(GF) You must be Joking aren't you, with your track record of mishaps I've got a list as long as my arm!

(Me) Such as?

(GF) The Pressure Cooker!

(Me) What about it?

(GF) You don't remember the Fire then?

(Me) It wasn't a Fire!

(GF) Ok Explosion then! it was working perfectly ok until you fitted it with that pressure valve! There was Stew all over the Kitchen Ceiling!

(Me) Ok I'll give you that one but it was still in 'Beta Testing' and lessons have been learned

(GF) Yeah until the next time!

Things were getting out of hand, so time to send her on a massive guilt trip!

Do you know what, you're right Babe you're just too good for me (Sob Sob) I just feel so worthless when you put things over like that (Sob Sob)

Aww don't Cry, Loves you really and those Flowers were such a really nice surprise!

No, you don't love me at all your just making it up to try and make me feel better

Yes I do! I do, do, do! its just that sometimes I wish you were just a little bit more normal

No you don't, you'd be bored!

Yeah! I suppose so, maybe you are right

(Me) Anyway when you go out tonight, you can tell all your mates how wonderful I am!

(GF) You mean you want me to lie!

(Me) You're forgetting the Flowers!

(GF) I can't go out now and leave you all alone, it just wouldn't be right
Tell you what I'll cook us a Romantic Candle Lit Meal and then ....

(Me) No, No, No, Babe you go out and enjoy yourself and don't you worry about little old me, I'll have a quiet night in in front of the 'Telly'

(GF) You're up to something aren't you!

(Me) No Babe of course not!

(GF) Are you sure????

(Me) Course I am, now off you go Babe and have a really good time and don't hurry home

(GF) Well ok as long as you're sure

(Me) I'm sure, now off you go!

Fast Forward Two Hours Later...............

Yassss! Result She's gone out!

So now its off to the Garage to go and get the rear Springs that I took off the XJS as they are still covered in Crud and need more Cleaning!

But this time Not in the Washing Machine!

This time I have got an even better Cunning Plan!.........

Greg in France (12-13-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member

I'm Pickin Up Good Vibrations

Part: 2
Now that the GF was out of the way, it was time to put my 'Cunning Plan' into Action, so off to the Shed to pick up a couple of Springs from the IRS Cage where I had decided to put them in my Ultrasonic Cleaner

Slight Problem as you can see!

While my Ultrasonic Cleaner is great for Cleaning little things like Spark Plugs, it's really much to small for 'Things like Springs' and so the only thing that I could do was make a bigger one

What on Earth could possibly go wrong!

The Exploding Pressure Cooker was just a one off! and on Paper should never have happened, I just keep telling the GF 'Don't Look Up!'

Making my Epic 'Jumbo Sized' Ultrasonic Cleaner, what could possibly go wrong!

All you need is a Bucket and in this Case a Couple of Springs that I wanted to Clean!

Together with the GF's Exercise Machine!

(And if She finds out I've borrowed it She is going to go Ballistic and knock another hole in the Ceiling but this time with my head!)

This Machine has lots of modes but none of them were for Rust, so I switched it on and waited to see what would happen!

Having filled the Bucket with Water and a Tub of OXY Plus my Ultrasonic Cleaner turned the Water Black in no time, as I could see the Rust start to fall off

Drying the Springs with the GF's Holiday Hairdryer! (if She finds out She won't be pleased but I like to live life on the edge!)

After Cleaning the Springs I gave them a coat of Black Waxoyl

Just got to get the Floor Clean before the GF get's home

My Ultrasonic Cleaner is just Epic! but let's hope She never finds out!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 12-15-2019 at 02:17 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
AaronsJag (12-17-2019), Bez74 (12-15-2019), Greg in France (12-15-2019)
Old 12-22-2019, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Replacing The Rotors And Calipers On An XJS V12

Part: 10

The State of the IRS looked so bad, it was almost enough to make me give up before I'd even Started!

If only I could wave a 'Magic Wand'

It was hard to believe that the IRS could get in such a state as the rest of the Car looked good, but with the 'Rust Bug' in the UK you kind of have to expect that sort of thing but where on earth do you start?

Unfortunately there is no easy fix, you have to get stuck in where literally after hours and hours of painstaking scraping and sanding, it did look a little bit better than before I started!

Note to Self: Never buy an XJS and ever think of giving up!

This has been the hardest part of the Job so far and to think that no one is going to see the hard work I've put in but anyway now I've got that done, the next job on the list is to remove the Broken Brake Bleed Nipple, which was just one of the reasons for removing the Cage in the first place so that the Calipers can be refurbished

Unless the GF or myself can find a set of New ones at the right price and then put on some New Rotors, though I'm not in any hurry as this is a Winter job I'm fitting in between all the other stuff that's been on the back burner for too long

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Bez74 (12-22-2019), Greg in France (12-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12