XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Good Point Jal

But I don't want to put the New Owner through the kind of Pain and Suffering that I've just put myself through, if he ever wants to take the New Calipers off for any reason, so I am going to Lockwire them, as that was what was on there when I pulled them apart

Not a Fan of Locking Substances for that very reason

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (07-07-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul (ptjs)

I'm going to Lockwire the Calipers when the GF Collects them but what Thickness Locking Wire should I get, as what I had to cut off was quite heavy duty

Same here with my MOT Tester about the Front Wheel Bearings on my other XJS where he never fails to mention it every time, even though 50 Shades my Grey XJS has never ever failed an MOT

But even so he always passes her

As I may have mentioned I am going to get some New Tyres even though She really only needs Two, as they don't make those Pirelli any more

So having Brand New Calipers and Four Matching Brand New Tyres will also help to demonstrate how much I look after my Cars

If I was going to keep her then I would go the Full Nine Yards and get some Hankook but since I am going to sell her, then I will get either some Budget or Mid Range ones, then if the New Owner decides to upgrade when he's had the Car a while, then of course that will be for him to decide

Greg in France (07-07-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,080 Likes on 2,036 Posts

OB,

I THINK I used .032" (.81mm) on my front brakes last time around? I'll have a look tomorrow if I can.

Although I suspect that Loctite is both easier and just as effective, there's something terribly satisfying about twirling some locking-wire pliers! Very therapeutic!

Paul

orangeblossom (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,284 Likes on 5,418 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Lnr...
... I shudder to think just how much a New Complete Assembly would have cost
...'
I didn't actually mean NEW new, but good quality "new" from a wrecking yard.
Then it occurred to me, you might not have such establishments on your side of the Pond, especially for cars that old.
In my region there are many, some that even specialize in olde Jags. And even if they don't have it, they get on their network and Find it for me!

But, as you mention, you have prevailed, so Onward!
(';')

orangeblossom (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul(ptjs)

Cheers!

I could also do with a recommendation for Wheel Bearing Grease

Should I use Lithium or Copper Grease or Just Wheel Bearing Grease?

Alex

Old 07-06-2023, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Lnr

I've got a 'Scrapper' in the Garden of 'Orange Blossom Towers' that have both units on her but feel that if I'd gone that Route, I may have encountered more problems down the line

Where since the Calipers were the cause of my problems, using the existing ones from another Car could only be viewed at least by me as being a bit of a 'Bodge Up' and like my Grandpa used to say, 'A Job That's Worth Doing Is Worth Doing Well' and that is one of those 'Mantras' that I live by

Do it all or not at all, just requires 'Some Passion and Commitment'

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (07-07-2023), LnrB (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,298 Likes on 5,461 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Paul(ptjs)

Cheers!

I could also do with a recommendation for Wheel Bearing Grease

Should I use Lithium or Copper Grease or Just Wheel Bearing Grease?

Alex
Lithium grease Alex. NOT copper grease.
What IS a good idea is to carefully put copper grease on the unthreaded shank of the lower caliper bolt, the one that goes through the steering arm; but NOT on the threads or the arm. So when you refit the arm, shim and bolt, the bolt shank will have some copperease where it goes through the arm, and so be easier to undo for the next time.
I realise in your case the threaded part was the problem, but usually it is the arm/shank that seizes. The problem with grease on the threads, in addition to Peter's germain points about torque, is that they can come undone in service!

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
LnrB (07-07-2023), orangeblossom (07-07-2023), ptjs1 (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

Good idea!

Where the Bolt goes through the Steering Arm has always been a problem as the Bolt that passes through it gets seized up and we had to cut the last one in half to get it free

Not sure how I ever managed to get that Bolt undone this time, so that is one more problem out of the way

Old 07-07-2023, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

G F Collected The Calipers And They Look Amazing!

But First I Had To Get The Back Plates Clean

After all the Trials and Tribulations that I have been through, at last I was able to have a much easier day and so off went the GF to Collect the Calipers while I cleaned off the Back Plates before refitting them

A nice little easy Job at last! Cleaning off the Back Plates Before Refitting the New Calipers

Cleaning The Back Plates with Paraffin and Brake Cleaner

These will need to be repainted before putting the Calipers on

GF Returns with New Calipers but are they the right ones?

Even in their Wrapping, things are looking good!

Out of their Wrapping and they are looking Amazing!

So looking forward to putting these on and so nice when something goes right!

The following 4 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
89 Jacobra (07-07-2023), Greg in France (07-08-2023), LnrB (07-07-2023), ptjs1 (07-07-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Refitting My New Calipers

Let The Games Begin!

Removing my Old Calipers was a 'Nightmare' in Theory Only 2 Bolts on each one but each Side easily took eight hours to do! and was possibly one of the Hardest Jobs that I've ever done on my Car

But now that Nightmare was over, it was time to put my New Calipers on and so not being in a rush, I decided to take my time and do this at a leisurely pace, where I would allow myself a day to do each side, including cleaning repainting and greasing etc

No real problems to Speak of, it all went like Clockwork for a change, except the Nights are unbelievably starting to draw in and so I couldn't see to put in the Shims, then when I've done the other side, I've got to make some New Brake Pipes

So no real dramas to report at this Current Update

Lithium Grease for the Hubs and Bearings

Hubs all Cleaned and Painted ready for the Caliper to go on

Nothing much to see here, putting on the New Caliper was a fairly straightforward affair. although the Shims will still have to go on

Greg in France (07-08-2023), LnrB (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,284 Likes on 5,418 Posts

It's about time you had a good, Drama-Free day!
(';')

orangeblossom (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Lnr

We're not quite out of the Woods just yet, plenty more Drama to come I am quite sure of that

Like take for instance this Sunday, when I got up early in order to put the other Caliper on, everything was ready except as soon as I picked the first Spanner up, it was then that it Started to Rain, where according to the Weather Forecast it was going to Rain All Day!

Where at last this was a Weather Forecast, that they go right for a change! and so there was only one thing to do and that was get on with the job, where by the time I had finished, I was soaked to the skin and dripping Wet!

But what can you do, except to ignore the Weather and just get on with the job, which took around 4 Hours! as those Caliper Bolts are sometimes a PIA to line up or even get started, the only good news being, that persistence paid off and I got there in the end

When it suddenly occurred to me that there maybe a possibility, that the Rear Calipers may also need replacing! Which I hope is not the Case as they even look a lot harder to do than the Front ones, if that is at all possible? maybe Paul (ptjs) can advise

So tons of things could still go wrong and I have to keep on reminding myself that I need to get 4 New Tyres, as they don't do those Pirelli P4000 any more and I need a New or SH 6 Stack CD Player, the same as what She came with before the one that was in there started Chewing up Discs!

And probably a New Electric Ariel as well!

As though I wouldn't say this Car is a 'Money Pit' with a Seldom used Car like this one, things are bound to go wrong, as I have been finding out the Hard Way but when I have finally managed to get all these little problems sorted out, then She's going to be lovely and do the New Owner proud

New Caliper Fitted, 'Rain Did Not Stop Play!

LnrB (07-10-2023), ptjs1 (07-10-2023)
Old 07-10-2023, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Well done OB!

Good work, new calipers always look great! I'd put some nice new pads in there also!

You'll be pleased to hear that rear calipers should be much easier to do. The caliper and pads will come off easily and you don't need to remove the caliper mount bracket which can stay in situ.

You need an allen key to undo the sliding pin bolts on the caliper. They will hopefully not be badly stuck if the plastic protection plugs are still in place. Use a good -fitting allen key, ideally an allen bit and a ratchet. Make sure the bit is fully fitted into the bolt head so that it doesn't turn and round off the bolt head recess.

You'll be fine on the back ones! Just make sure you buy the correct ones that were fitted from VIN 198335 - part number JLM12426 & JLM12427. DO NOT BUY the earlier ones JLM12422 & JLM12423. They look identical but the earlier ones will not fit the vented rear discs on your car. The same with the rear pads. You need JLM21919 NOT JLM1833.

Cheers

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (07-11-2023), orangeblossom (07-11-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul (ptjs)

Excellent advice as usual!

And you are right about the Brake Pads

Stuck Calipers Tore them to Pieces:

Defiantly New Brake Pads going in (PS do you have the Size of the Lock-Wire for the Caliper Bolts? and also the Torque Setting)
I've got them at 50 ft lbs as a Temporary Measure but that's probably not enough

Had a very relaxing day, putting in the Caliper Shims in the Pouring Rain! Again! and what a Tortuous little job that is! and so thank Goodness that job is now out of the way and the Fun Part can begin!

Relatively Speaking that is!

Making up some New Brake Pipes and although I've done it before, this time I've got all the Tools for the Job!

Including one that I've not tried out yet, except for an irresistible little go!

I treated myself to a Brake Pipe Bending device and though it Works a bit too well for my liking!

I'm kicking myself for not Buying One before and can't believe I used to bend those Brake Pipes with my Fingers!

Which has to be the Automotive equivalent of Rubbing Two Sticks together to try and light a Fire!

My Amazing Brake Pipe Bending Device!

As you can see, the results were, or at least are going to be Amazing! (Note to Self, when you do this for real you want the other Fitting!)

Someone must have seen me Coming, as the Tyres I was going to buy have just gone up £30 each! but its not over yet I will find some!

LnrB (07-12-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member

Hi OB,

You're not far off! Its 50-59 ft lb.

As regards the lockwire, I'm not sure of exactly what size was original, but I'm pretty sure I used .032" (.81mm) on my front brakes last time around.

As you've probably found out, bending brake pipes with a good tool is very satisfying and one of those "why did I struggle for years instead of buying one of these?" moments! Just like using a proper caliper windback tool!

Tomorrow, I'm going to fit new rear hub knuckle bushes on my Range Rover and I'll be using one of my favourite tools - a bush removal set - worth every penny, after cutting my teeth in my youth on threaded rod and sockets / scaffold tubes!

Cheers

Paul

orangeblossom (07-13-2023)
Old 07-11-2023, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul (ptjs)

A Caliper Wind Back Tool!

I can't believe I did not know that such a thing existed as I have been using a 'G' Clamp, where on hearing that I feel that I'm living in some sort of parallel universe, so I had better not tell you how I Changed the Front Springs on my Merc

Or you will be laying awake at Night, trying to figure out How or Why, I am still alive!

Old 07-11-2023, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member

OB,

On some cars, you have to use windback tool as the pistons run in a threaded housing.

attached link is similar to the dirt of set I have. Another "How did I manage without it?" tool!

Amazon Amazon

Paul

Greg in France (07-14-2023), orangeblossom (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul (ptjs)

Interesting piece of Kit though not needed at the moment, as after what seemed like forever the Car is all done! and just requires some New Brake Pads!

So looking forward to Test Driving Her around the grounds of 'Orange Blossom Towers' and so it can Rain as much as it wants to, as after all the Trials and Tribulations I've been through, it will take a little bit more than that to Wash the Smile off my face!

Having removed the Old Calipers, that unexpectedly then turned out to be the Job from Hell, I finally put the New ones on in the pouring Rain and retrospectively think you were right about renewing those

Although the prospect of Spending £250 on those didn't exactly fill me full of Joy, while at the same time forgetting the fact that the GF is The Walking Talking and sometimes Annoying! Font of all knowledge whenever it comes to finding whatever I need at the right price

So having put the Calipers on the Next thing to do was make some Brake Pipes

The Brake Pipe Bender I should have bought Light Years ago!

Brake Pipe Making Kit (Sadly not as good as 'Greg's!) but even so its paid for itself many times over by now

One of Two of the Brake Pipes I made already to go on

OMG! That look quite good! an obvious Talent going to waste right there! (Lol)

Locking Wire on! Now all I need is Yet another Set of Brand New Brake Pads, as I don't want to go Penny Pinching and Mess it up now!

The following 4 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
89 Jacobra (07-14-2023), Greg in France (07-14-2023), LnrB (07-14-2023), NBCat (07-13-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

OB,

New calipers, pads & pipes - great! I know you've had to spend some money but I'm sure you've made the right decision to enhance the attractiveness and sales potential of the car!

A good weeks work, after a challenging start!

Paul

Greg in France (07-14-2023), orangeblossom (07-13-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,298 Likes on 5,461 Posts

Terrific job OB!

orangeblossom (07-14-2023)

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12