XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Hi Paul (ptjs)

I was thinking something similar along those very lines, so having taken the Wheel off, I examined the Brake Pads for wear which I found was very uneven and seemed to point to what Greg was saying as well as a build up of rust on the end of the Slider Pins, that may have stopped the Calipers from Sliding

So not wishing to cut any corners, at this delicate stage, I decided to put in a New Set of Brake Pads and though I haven't got them yet, what with it being Holiday Week, I have already made preparations to fit them and would Welcome your Critique on this

Where in any event I hope it might Help anyone else with a 4.0L XJS who is also thinking of replacing their Disc Pads, as at first glance it does look a bit of a Puzzle and maybe even enough to make your head spin, as it did mine

So off we Go!

In order to remove the Brake Pads, that Spring 'Thingy' has to be levered out with a Screw Driver

Easy Peasey Lemon Squeezy!

Just behind the Calipers are the 'Slider Tubes' that are Capped Off with Plastic Caps, where once having taken those Caps off, they reveal a Plastic Tube that contains the Slider Pin X 2 One at the Top as per Photo with the other one directly underneath for which you will need a Number 7 Allen Key

This is not so easy, as even with the Pins unscrewed they can be very Tricky to pull out of their Tubes 'Brute Force and Innocents' may be required!

Note the Blob of 'Crud' on the end that won't be helping matters!

More than enough to make the Caliper Stick on these Slide Pins

After a Clean up with something like a Scotch Bright Pad

Once those Pins have been removed, the Brake Pad retainer can then be levered off and the Brake Pads removed

At which point I pushed the Brake Pedal (just a little bit) to see if the Caliper Piston was Stuck, though Thankfully it wasn't

Uneven wear on the Brake Pads which are going to be replaced ASAP

It's one of those awkward little Jobs, although I've done much worse and you also need some Silicone Grease when putting those Pins back in

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Grant Francis (08-30-2023), Greg in France (08-30-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 638 Likes on 405 Posts

Those rotors look awful. Unless I'm mistaken, there's a ridge on the outer edge, and they are scored. They need to be replaced, rather than pad slapping them.

Jon

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,244 Likes on 5,430 Posts

Nothing couple of hard stops from 100 mph will not cure!

The following 4 users liked this post by Greg in France:
89 Jacobra (08-30-2023), Grant Francis (08-30-2023), LnrB (08-30-2023), orangeblossom (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

I better let you take her for a Test Drive!

Greg in France (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Jon

It's just a bit of Surface Rust, as those Pads are the Originals and the Car is very low mileage

So really it's down to lack of use

Old 08-30-2023, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts

I have learned in these forums, that Lack of Use kills more classic cars than anything else.
Even when kept in climate controlled museums, they would not be driveable if merely taken on the open road.

Nothing I own will ever suffer that fate.

The following 3 users liked this post by LnrB:
89 Jacobra (08-30-2023), Greg in France (08-30-2023), orangeblossom (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LnrB
I have learned in these forums, that Lack of Use kills more classic cars than anything else.
Even when kept in climate controlled museums, they would not be driveable if merely taken on the open road.

Nothing I own will ever suffer that fate.
100% true. Use them hard or they go wrong. People think that our Jaguars are fragile, they are not. They just get unfit if not given regular exercise. Alex's brake issues (just to take a contemporary example, and NOT to criticise him in any way) would obviously not have happened if the car had been used regularly.

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
89 Jacobra (09-01-2023), LnrB (08-30-2023), orangeblossom (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

You are so right!

But on the plus side, if I knew as much about the brakes then as I do now, I would have had that Car back on the road in June, except that you cannot fix anything, until you know what it is you are trying to fix

And that was the main problem, if you see what I mean (Lol)

The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
89 Jacobra (08-30-2023), Greg in France (08-31-2023), LnrB (08-30-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member

The Rumble In The Jumble
Nice day for a Drive in the MX5 (The GF's Pride and Joy!) So off we went to an Auto Jumble, of which there are many at this time of Year, as you never know what Bargains are there to be picked up, except I want to buy everything I see, which is a habit that I am still trying to break

Where in order to try and do this, I let her hold the purse strings unless I can give a good reason for buying things that I don't really need and this is also a habit that I am still trying to break, as sometimes you don't need to have a reason

'Here you are going to need this' said the GF handing me a Tenner

What is it and why do I need this? I replied

Don't ask stupid questions, just follow me (so I did!)

As we walked round and round the Maze of Stalls at the Auto Jumble, looking for I don't know what!

Ok said the GF its a box of bits on the Table of one of the Stalls down here (what box? what bits? what stall?) where the heck are we going!

See that Plastic box over there! just walk over and give him a Tenner for the Lot, providing that he hasn't sold what I saw inside it!

What was it and if its so good why didn't you buy it, there and then?

I wasn't sure, I'm not an expert on these things (Confession is good for the Soul or what!) This had to be a first!

Are you ready? Yes! but ready for what?

Poker Face On! and try and look disinterested at what I am going to show you in that Box of Junk! don't even make an Offer! Just Show him the Tenner and hope he bites your hand off at the Wrist!

What the Heck is it?

It can't be that good?

'Well I can assure you it is!' or at least I think it is!

With 'Think it is' now haunting me like one of those Bad Dreams, we slowly advanced towards this Mystery Box and when came the moment to look inside, I felt a Chill run through my Veins as my Throat then dried up, as I did my best to stop shaking as the Stall Holder approached

And I waved that Tenner right under his nose, while very quickly pointing to the Box and praying to 'The Jaguar Gods' he would take it

I don't want all that, a Fiver would do! while seemingly still unaware, that it wasn't the junk I was after but the Golden Orb that lay within and while I was tempted to wait for some Change, the GF then gave me a look that could kill and a dig in the ribs that was hard enough to almost knock me over!

Keep the Change said the GF as he opened a box to give us some change, while the GF picked up this dirty old box (which again was quite unheard of!)

As we casually then walked away with the Booty!

I even had my 'Indiana Jones' Hat on!

Indiana Alex and the 'Junk Box' It must have been Serendipity, though I not even sure what that means!

Time for Tea, then there will be a Sequel

Indiana Alex and Help Paul (ptjs) is this worth saving? and if it is what do I need and what do I do?

Also Picked up some MGB Front Brake Pads, that are exactly the same as the ones on my Merc and 3 Sets of Brand New Door Cards for my MGB

But as for Now it's all eyes on this!

Old 09-07-2023, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Brakes Were Still Giving A Problem!

So Decided To Fit New Rear Brake Pads As At First I Didn't Realize Just How Worn Out They Were

The New Rear Brake Pads were Twice as Wide as the ones I'd taken out, which according to a Video on YouTube could be the Cause of the Problem

Using an old Front Brake Pads with a 'G' Clamp to Push Back the Piston, having first undone the Bleed Screw

One Brake Pad about to be Fitted where the One with the Spring Clip goes inside the open end of the Single Piston Caliper with Backing Pads on Both

Only one of the Brake Pads has the Spring that goes into the Piston (Same for both sides of the Car)

Partially Assembled and ready to go on the Rotor and then Fixed in Place with the Slider Pins and an external Wire Spring

Caliper already to Fit having first undone the Bleed Screw to help prevent and dirt or crud from damaging the System

Not much to it really but decided to leave the Wire Fastener off until I'd Painted the Calipers

Last edited by orangeblossom; 09-07-2023 at 03:11 PM.
Greg in France (09-08-2023), ptjs1 (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

Hi OB,

ref your previous post - from a quick glance that does seem very like a late XJS m/c. In which case, that would be literally the most extraordinary coincidence that I've ever heard! I wouldn't even expect to find one of those at a Jaguar Spares Day!

Are there any manufacturer number or markings on it that we can check?

Paul

orangeblossom (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul (ptjs)

It just says ford Ate 25

Old 09-08-2023, 03:04 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Paul (ptjs)

It just says ford Ate 25
Makes sense, as this model was developed by Ford.

orangeblossom (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul (ptjs) + Greg

If you were thinking that this was an extraordinary coincidence, I've just found another one that was exactly the same!

Same markings (ford) Ate 25

Same Connections and everything is exactly the same and the only reason that I didn't buy it (at least not yet!) is that they were asking Megabucks for it, so what with it being Secondhand, I didn't want to gamble that much money!

But if this Saga ever ends......

Then I will send you a Photo of the Car it is on for your Records

Having said that the MC for an early Peugeot 206 looks a bit of a 'dead ringer' that might be worth looking into, as you can buy a New one for fairly sensible money

Last edited by orangeblossom; 09-08-2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member

We are relying on you to find the bargain OB!

orangeblossom (09-09-2023)
Old 10-04-2023, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

Your Wish is my command 'Greg'
Brand New Brake Master Cylinder found except it wasn't Cheap but more like 'Dirt Cheap' £35!

Same Brake Pipe Connections and only required a very minor 'mod'

Where apart from that I bolted it straight on

Also found an easy way to Bleed it with no Assistant needed and all done from inside the Car

But now of course I've got another problem!

So I'll Start another Thread and see if anyone is able to Help

Greg in France (10-06-2023), ptjs1 (10-04-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 04:29 AM
Veteran Member

Brand New 780AH Battery

Arriving Today For My 1995 XJS Celebration Convertible

I really wouldn't say it was a Bargain, although it did to begin with until at the Checkout they slammed a delivery charge on the end, that seemed to take the Shine off things a bit

Its really that I wish they wouldn't do that but looking on the Plus Side, this Battery is one of the Best that you can get to fit my Car and it was Next Day delivery and so just like the Battery, I'm keeping all the Positives+ and washing all the Negatives- out of my mind

As Recommended by Paul (ptjs) 'The Yellow Pages' of Jaguar Spares and so that's plenty good enough for me, even though it was a little expensive but that's the World we find ourselves living in today

So I guess we better start getting used to that and I've also measured the dimensions, where it will hopefully be a very 'Snug Fit' so trusting my trusty Tape Measure, if it all works out OK then you Guy will know the Best Battery to buy for your own 4.0L XJS

Which will NOT be the same for a V12 which I am also going to need for my other Car that is a V12 so hopefully Paul (ptjs) will advise me on that, after I've managed to calm myself after already just spending a 'Shed Load' of Money on this one

As I will also be needing 2 more Batteries for my Twin Wheel Diesel Transit that is Fitted with a Crane, another 'Big Boys Toy' that I am in the Process of Turning into a sort of Mobile Workshop (although I'm really not sure why?) maybe I just got bored and needed a Project?

Where I am only intending to use it, at 'Orange Blossom Towers' or to put it in GF speak 'My Crib' at 'Orange Blossom Towers' me thinks She's been watching too much 'TicTok' 'innit!'

But the GF is so impressed with the way that I have been fitting it out: Stick Welder / Mig Welder / Gas Axe / Generator / Plasma Cutter / Pressure Washer etc that She payed me the ultimate complement (according to her anyway) of telling me that I had got 'The Rizz'

Which sort of sounds like some sort of Tropical disease!

Old 10-10-2023, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member

New Battery Unboxing

For My XJS 4.0L Celebration Convertible

New Battery arrived To-day as promised and looks worth every penny of the £80+ I had to pay, Beautifully Packed like something that I had just bought from a Top department Store like 'Harrods' or 'Macy's'

What is in the Box?

They Packed it to Perfection

Ever so slightly 'Freaking Out' as it looks a lot longer than the one I am replacing it with

Excited feels like Christmas but will it fit in the Battery Tray?

If Cinderella wanted a Battery instead of a Glass Slipper then this would be a Perfect Fit! it ought to be I measured it enough times before I ordered it

I didn't put it in the Tray as I didn't want to leave it in the Boot/Trunk during the Winter but as of now it really Zings that Torquey Engine over and could well be the Ultimate Battery for this Car and so Well Chuffed and then some!

The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Don B (12-17-2023), Greg in France (10-11-2023), ptjs1 (10-10-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

OB,

Looks good! Remember that they will have plugged the vent hole, to which you need to attach your vent pipe.

I always open my Tayna-provided batteries carefully so that I can keep the free vacuum bag for future use!

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
orangeblossom (10-11-2023), User 42324 (12-17-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

OB
Snap! but I had to extend my tray to get it in!

modified on left, OEM on right

Installed

orangeblossom (10-11-2023)

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12