XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2023, 02:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,771 Likes on 2,611 Posts

Hi Greg

I think you need a different Battery to fit the Tray on the V12, I need one of those for my own Car (Fifty Shades my 1990 V12 XJS) so hoping Paul (ptjs) can give me a recommendation

Also need 2 X Batteries for my Twin Wheel Diesel Transit

Does the Spending on these Cars ever Stop

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (10-12-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
...Does the Spending on these Cars ever Stop
It's a safety valve, Alex, to keep us from spending our Hard Earned on something Really Stupid;
Like Simply Having to be First In Line (and camping out for Days to be at least one of the first 10) for the latest iPhone release, which is Obsolete before they get the wrapper off.

At least what we spend our money on will last for a while and gives us and all who see our cars so much Joy!
I, for one, hope that Joy lasts a Very long time.
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
Greg in France (10-12-2023), orangeblossom (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Lnr

You are so right, its just that motoring in the UK is a bit of a Nightmare at the moment, so many things to trip you up, when trying to enjoy a nice day out

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
LnrB (10-11-2023), User 42324 (12-17-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,245 Likes on 5,431 Posts

SO true, LnR

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
LnrB (10-12-2023), orangeblossom (10-12-2023)
Old 12-16-2023, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

Iconic Welding Set Found Down The Shed!
Ah Yes!

I remember it Well as its all coming back to me now but just like almost anyone that I can think of, many years ago now and for reasons I cannot explain, I developed this obsession to buy a Welding Set

Where like everything else in life it did seem to be a good idea at the time, as the GF's Father who was a Welder by Trade. seemed to be making a Fortune, by making Gates for his Neighbors and repairing all sorts of stuff, at which he was so skillful that he made it look easy!

But looks can be deceptive and it wasn't quite so easy as it looked! where to make matters worse if they could get worse, I had almost no interest in Mechanics and Zero Skills in almost anything else

Although the GF's Dad told me. it was only a matter of practice, which seemed a good enough reason not to let a lack of Skill get in the way of ambition, as I wanted to build a Trailer to put stuff in and Tow behind my Car

And the GF's Father had just the thing to make that dream come true, as underneath his Workshop Bench he had this massive Welding Set, that was so heavy and awkward to move, I thought it had been Welded to the Floor, so maybe not surprising that he wanted it out of the way

Even more than his daughter that I also inexplicably managed to get lumbered with, so when he gifted me this Welding Set, instead of having just one little problem to contend with I had Two!

Where as I remember when I plugged the Welder in, the Fuse Box in the Kitchen just went 'Bang' for which I can only blame myself, as something this size needed to be run off 15 Amps and since the House was wired for 13 Amps, it was never going to work

At which point I was rapidly running out of interest and so I put it down the Shed, bought myself a Trailer and then forgot about it until now, when I suddenly remembered that this Welding Set, was also a Battery Starter Charger, that was the very thing I needed now

As with Winter fast approaching, I had a Collection of more dead and dying Batteries than you could 'Shake a Stick At' as well as a 15 Amp Circuit that I installed myself, so if anyone thought that my Welding was bad, then they ought to see my Electrics! (or maybe they shouldn't!)

And so the only thing I had to do was to some how manage to drag this hulking great heavy Welding Set 'Starter Charger' out of the Shed while being very careful not to drop it on my Foot, which was almost impossible as it was impossible to even pick it up!

So out with the Chain Blocks and Pull Lifts, that I had also acquired, I somehow managed to drag it down the Garden, not knowing if it even works, as even though I've had it down the Shed for Years I've never used it!

No I don't know why either! I should have gone on Amazon and bought a Battery Charger that was small enough to keep in the Garage!

A bit of Spit and Polish and it will look like New but will it work?

Looking like New (ish!) but now I need to make some Battery Leads, though after what happened last time I'm still a little bit nervous of what will happen when I plug it in!

The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
89 Jacobra (12-17-2023), LnrB (12-17-2023), User 42324 (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member

Bad Day At The Office!

Starter Charger Welder Doesn't Work and My XJS 4.0L Doesn't Start!
The Weather was Amazing! almost Hot enough for June, so I thought that I would go and Start my XJS 4.0L and take her for a little drive round Orange Blossom Towers, so having just filled her up with 10 Gallons of Petrol I turned the Key expecting her to Start

The only problem being, that even with her Brand New Battery She just plainly didn't want to know, as while that Battery Cranked her over really hard and fast, the Engine simply just refused to fire!

As always at this point 'The Training Kicked In' (Thanks to Greg and Grant) so the First thing I Checked was the Fuel Supply to the Engine, by disconnecting the Fuel Pipe, where it entered the Fuel Rail and stuffing that into an oversized Tube which I then hung over the Wing 'Fender'

Loads of Fuel came gushing out, so it wasn't the Fuel Pump or even the Fuel Pump Relay or even the Fuse and while it could have been stuck Injectors, that seemed highly unlikely, since all Six had been Renewed very recently

Which then threw up the Crank Position Sensor as 'Chief Suspect' although I renewed that Last Year but since they can go Flakey for really no reason at all then Weather permitting, that is the First Thing that I will be Checking Tomorrow

But as for the Starter Charger Welder, more about that later.........

Old 12-17-2023, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

OB,

Crank it tomorrow. Then if it doesn't start, pull one plug, confirm it's wet and therefore, the injectors are pulsing. Then crank again with the plug out and check if it's sparking. Only if that test fails would I start thinking about the crank sensor.

Good luck

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (12-18-2023), orangeblossom (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul

Interesting idea!

I think I'll give that a try but if the Injectors are not Pulsing, what do I do about that?

Old 12-17-2023, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,033 Likes on 2,015 Posts

OB,

If that happens, you need to verify if the ecu is controlling things under cranking conditions.

You mentioned that fuel came out when you disconnected the fuel intake to the rail. But that could be residual fuel pressure from the 2 second "ignition on" pump cycle. You need to know that the pump is definitely running under crank conditions, not just doing its initial pressurisation under "ignition on" conditions.

So maybe start by removing the fuel pipe again and check that fuel is definitely pulsing when the engine is being cranked. If that is definitely true, then the injectors should also be energised during crank conditions, as it means the ecu is theoretically operating under crank conditions.

Paul

orangeblossom (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul (ptjs)

Fuel is definitely coming through while Cranking, enough to fill a Jug Full, so all that I can think of is the Crank Position Sensor

Old 12-19-2023, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Was going to post this on a new thread

But I'd just copied this Link from a YouTube Short when Amazon knocked at the Door, which caused a slight outbreak of panic!

Not sure what to make of the Daimler but am wondering why it never went into production but I reckon 'Greg' will know

Last edited by orangeblossom; 12-19-2023 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2023, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member

Daimler XJS
... but am wondering why it never went into production...
Um, the narrator explained that in the clip I think.
Too much more money for too few real "Improvements?"
(';')

orangeblossom (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,245 Likes on 5,431 Posts

Daimler XJS

Was going to post this on a new thread

But I'd just copied this Link from a YouTube Short when Amazon knocked at the Door, which caused a slight outbreak of panic!

Not sure what to make of the Daimler but am wondering why it never went into production but I reckon 'Greg' will know
I have seen this car in the flesh, so to speak! It is a one-off design-study in the metal. It is in the JDHT collection and has a lovely deep blue paint job. There was obviously no market for it, as at the time XJSs were selling quite well and the Daimler marque had little cachet in the sports/GT market.
It does not have the presence of the XJS, nor look as arresting, and given how very well equipped the V12 XJS was, there was not much that could be done to improve the interior. So Jaguar made the right decision to drop the idea!

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
89 Jacobra (12-20-2023), LnrB (12-20-2023), orangeblossom (12-20-2023)
Old 01-03-2024, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Tree Trees Are Nine!
With the Storm we had last night it was bound to happen, when 3 of our Trees at 'Orange Blossom Towers' had got Blown over! and just in case you may be wondering what the 'Nine' is for, that's how much 'Tree Fellas' want to cut them up and take them away as in £900!

So obviously I am going to do this myself, which of course as always maybe ill advised though that has never stopped me, as with the right equipment, this could be as easy as 'Falling Off A Log' although this is something that I will try and avoid!

It's going to take a bit more than a Chain Saw, as there is only one Tree that I am really Concerned about and that's the one that snapped in half and is now hanging by a Thread just above the entrance to my Garage, where '50 Shades' my Grey XJS has been stored for over a Year

As last year I was working on my XJS 4.0L which took up all my time and so we didn't even get the chance to go for a run out

The Broken Tree is causing a real problem, as I have tried to break it off without success, although 'Sod's Law' is telling me that as soon as I open the Garage door, then it will come plummeting down upon the Car!

And so I'm probably going to need a 'Cherry Picker' and am ever so slightly Tempted to go and buy one! as Temptation has always been one of those things that you should never put in front of me, as the one I am thinking of buying could be the Ultimate 'Big Boys Toy'

So what on earth could possibly go Wrong?

Hopefully nothing although I would say that, so watch this space!

User 42324 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,166 Likes on 676 Posts

Geeez OB sounds like you're lucky to still be here. In Arkansas (USA) a lot of people have wood stoves, and fireplaces to either heat their homes, or to supplement their central heating system. So when you have large trees fall. There are people who cut wood and sell it. They will usually come out, and cut them down, and haul them / wood away for free, and they keep the wood. Which makes it a win win situation. How do they do it over there??? Cause 900 $ or lbs is a lot.

JTS

orangeblossom (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I can tell you from Personal Experience, that whatever Professional Tree Guys want to clear that mess will be a LOT less than you spend in time and equipment to DIY. (less than $1200 US; more if you damage something or get hurt)
They will NOT drop anything on your car(s)! They will NOT damage your property!
Which you, in your Inexperience just might, because THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!
What's your peace of mind worth, never mind your car(s)?

And, if you do manage to cut up the mess without damaging anything, or yourself, Watcha gonna do with the slash??
You know. all the small trash and sawdust left behind after you extract everything reasonably burnable?
There will be a LOT of that, I can tell you!

Jack's solution might be best for you, depending how such things are done on That Side of the Pond....
But, you must do whatever you think is best for your situation.
(';')

orangeblossom (01-03-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Jack

Wood Burning Stoves are on the verge of being Banned in the UK unless you use Expensive Kiln Dried Timber and so if you want a Tree Cut Down £300 is Considered a bit of a Bargain!

We even know of people who have paid £300 just to get a Single Branch Cut off!

Hi Lnr

They can't do much with the Wood anymore as it has to be Kiln Dried, owing to Net Zero and all that kind of Stuff and so I thought it would make sense if I did it myself

Old 01-04-2024, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

'What has he gone and Bought Now!'

Its too late you're all too late! as I've just gone and Spent a Grand on a Machine that I have never seen!
It sounded very nice on the Phone and apparently was even running when Parked and though that sounds like a Red Flag, you often have to take a chance when you're buying something from a Scrapyard and Vince sounded very convincing on the end of the Telephone

But as for me I was buying in to the Vista that Vince was painting in my head

Ok Vince, no BS I want you to tell me exactly what She is like

The She in this Case being a Truck Mounted 'Cherry Picker' with a 35 foot boom (nice eh just what I wanted!)

Vince: Mate-Maaaate, She's a little darling! a Cracking little Machine!

Yeah! Ok Vince but does She run and does the Boom go Up and Down just like it should?

Yeah! course it does said Vince, you'll never find anything better for the price!

Stand on me said Vince, She's almost perfect! but the only thing wrong is the Radio doesn't work!

Yeah but how to I hear the Radio when I'm 30ft up in the Air?

Point taken Maaaate, point taken but She's never done any work, She's just been stored in this blokes Barn for Years!

Is She Petrol or Diesel?

Maaaate! She's diesel of course! you wouldn't want a Petrol one of these!

If the Engine Cut out when you're up in the Air, then you would have to Climb down or Slide down the Boom or something but you can Stand on me Maaaate, that's just never going to happen, unless you run out of Fuel

What about Miles? how many Miles has She done?

Just coming up to 5,000!

What 50,000!No Mate No She's only done 5,000 Miles one owner from New!

Five Thousand Miles! 'You're Joking!'

No I'm not Maaaate, No I'm not!

Can I Stand on you with that Vince?

Course you can Mate, course you can, You took the words out of my Mouth!

All of a sudden, Vince was Sounding Convincing!

I'd never ever heard of a 'Cherry Picker' being 'Ah hem' Clocked!'

Yeah but how do I get her home? can you deliver her for me?

Tell you what said Vince (ok tell me what!) Bung me a 'Long Un' Bangers and Mash and I will drop her round (aka £100 in Cash!) plus the Grand for the Picker! (obvs!)

Yeah! obvs

When something sounds too good to be True, then it probably is!

Although there is always a Chance that it possibly isn't as the New price of one of these is about 40 Grand!

How could I even think of saying No to a Bargain like this?

Ok Vince but She's good all round Yeah?

Maaaate! Maaate! She's a 'Bobby Dazler!' Trust me Maaate you can't go wrong at that price!

Ok then Vince, you've got a deal but can you hang on till the Ground dries out a bit?

No Probs Mate, just Bell me and then I'll drop her round and then I'll get my Daughter to run me home

Just send me the 'Wedge' and I'll keep her until you are ready!

So that's what I did OMG!

The Neighbours of course will go Stark Raving Bonkers!

User 42324 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 04:28 PM
Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts

This is the best post I've read on all forums for some time indeed. Top class . . . & good fortune with your new toy !

orangeblossom (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member

Awe Cheers!

Robinus

Nice of you to say so and hope it gave you a laugh!

89 Jacobra (01-04-2024)

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12