rgp
Veteran Member
Received 396 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Lnr

It's 'Cockney Rhyming Slang'

A 'Long Un' is £100 same as a 'One er
"A long un"
Never heard of that. What part of London would that be then?

Last edited by rgp; 01-17-2024 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,809 Likes on 2,637 Posts

Hi Lnr

Love that emoji, which reminds me of the last time that I felt like that which was probably today!

When I bought Two Brand New Batteries for the aforementioned Cherry Picker, for £160 (Quid) that I may not need if 'Cherry P' either doesn't Start or Starts but doesn't work!

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Robinus

What with me having more Letters after my name than a Tin of Alphabet Soup I-D-I-O-T being One of them or maybe that should be Five, I think I know exactly what you mean

So as 'Delboy' might say, I'm going with 'Serviette Emperor'

Old 01-17-2024, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member

Hi rgp

That would come from 'South London' sometimes pronounced 'Sarf' London
Ton
Long Un
Oner
Century (all mean £100 Pounds) or 100 Sovs

But if you haven't got any money and especially not enough to run a Jaguar XJS then you could be 'Brassic' although if no one believes that, then you could be having a 'Giraffe' (Laugh)

'Score' £20
'Pony' £25
'Lady Godiva' £5
'Bullseye' £50
'Monkey' £500
'Jumbo Jet' Bet
'Gregory Peck' Cheque
'Rubber Gregory' Bounced Cheque! (True!)
(if you hear any sound in the background, then that could be XJS Expert 'Greg' choking on his Cornflakes at the very thought!)

So you might decide to have a 'Jumbo Jet' (the word Jet is often left off) as everyone knows what you mean by 'Jumbo'

So you might have a 'Jumbo' on Shergar in the 2/30 and put a 'Monkey' 'On The Nose' (as opposed to an each way Bet) and if it Wins, its 'Epic' and if it Loses then 'You're Gutted' and if you've lost all your Money, then you might well be 'Brassic'

Although if your 'Donald Duck' (Luck) is in then you might go home with a 'Gregory' (Gregory Peck) Cheque and hope its not a 'Rubber' if you Cash it in the Pub but if you've got to get home to 'The Misses' and haven't got time for a 'Session' (Serious Drinking) where you could be 'Off Your Face' (Drunk)

Then you might only have time 'To Sample a Couple' which can often then lead to a Session, where you may have been 'On a Promise' but not anymore!

'Cockney Rhyming Slang' came about in the hope of confusing the Authorities aka 'The Old Bill' although they soon 'Cottoned On' Threading your Needle at the start of your Shift at the Mill

Your Turn Now! where did 'Whip' meaning Car come from?

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (01-18-2024), LnrB (01-17-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,301 Likes on 5,423 Posts

I've heard "Cottoned On" to mean "figured it out " all my life, Never knew where it came from or what it had to do with anything.
Thank you, Alex!!
(';')

orangeblossom (01-18-2024)
Old 01-18-2024, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,321 Likes on 5,471 Posts

OB
All most educational!
FYI: 'Brassic' is actually a miss-spelling of 'Boracic', as in Boracic lint = "skint."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boracic_lint

As for 'Berk' (as in utter twit/ fool/idiot for our US readers): this is rhyming slang from a foxhunting pack called the 'Berkshire Hunt'. I leave its rhyme to my readers!

orangeblossom (01-18-2024)
Old 01-24-2024, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Cherry 'P' Won't Start!
Yes! Guys,

That is Correct! 'Cherry 'P' being my Newly Acquired 'Cherry Picker' (will not Start!)

That's the one I paid £900 for without even seeing beforehand, from a Guy I didn't know or have ever met!

Where to make matters worse if they could get worse! Both Batteries were 'Toast' although I did know that beforehand!

No Problem I will just buy Two Brand New Ones, as after all they can't be that expensive? 'Yes they can!' £160 for Two!

Though even with those on She still won't Start! Which has now left me in a 'Catch 22 Situation'

Because! We have now had Three Big Storms, one after the other! so until I cut those Trees down, I cannot get '50 Shades' My Grey XJS out of the Garage to use for the Summer, which was the main reason for buying the 'Cherry Picker' in the first place!

That and a reluctance to pay someone else a 'Grand' £1,000 to do something that I can do myself, as if you can Change the Fuel Pump on a 4 Litre XJS then Chopping down a couple of Trees should be just as easy as falling off a Log! (though hopefully not while I'm cutting those Trees down!)

But before you go saying 'I told you so!' It's not all bad news!

As if I had seen her beforehand, I would have walked on 'Broken Glass' to buy her there and then! because She is a 'Little Gem' that just needs tidying up a little bit! (ish!)

And that's assuming I can get her Started, although She got here under her own steam! (don't ask me how!)

Having put the New Batteries on, when I turn the Key to position (1) all the Dash Lights come on (good news obvs!)

But when I turn the Key to position (2) all I can here is a Click! (bad news!) because the engine won't turn over!

Either a Wiring Problem or the Engine is Seized!

Not 'Majoring' in Electrics of the Automotive kind, I just did the best I could when it came to Checking all the Connections, not helped by the fact that it was so Cold, that it turned a 'Bucket of Water' into 'Ice!' (But Still No Dice!) She won't turn over

So Bonnet (Hood) Up I looked at the Self Starter (where the Connections were Cleaner than you see in the Photo) but that was the best Photo so I used it

Then I got a Screw Driver and used a 'Trick' 'Greg' Showed me years ago!

And Shorted out the Bendix? 'Thingy' on the Side of the Starter Motor (as shown in the Photo)

Where to my Astonishment! the Engine nearly Started there and then!

So while the Engine Turns over using the 'Screwdriver' Shorted across where you see the 'Red Line' in the Photo, She still won't Turn Over on the Key

And so what I am wondering is, should I take a Wire with a Spade Connector from the Small Tag on the 'Bendix' Thingy, to a Stand alone Start Button and then another Wire from the Start Button to the Big Terminal on the Self Starter

So I can then Turn on the Ignition by using the Key and then use the Stand alone Button to Spin the Engine

That's the Theory anyway, although I haven't tried it yet, as I don't want to risk burning anything out

Does anyone know if that might work?

As even though its a bit of a Bodge, once I get that Tree Down, then I can try and Start my XJS

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (01-24-2024), LnrB (01-24-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 06:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Good Morning! Been a while... New (old) house takes ALL my time. I really don't find myself even driving much anymore as my work and commute situation has changed. Anyways, I miss y'all, I miss this place and I miss having my brain wracked chasing the issues, fixes and upgrades on my ol gals.

Anyways,,, if they are AGM batteries, they may NOT be toast. Try tricking the charger by putting a good, or even close to good, battery in the mix and charging them both on a charger. Once the dead battery has come back to life (holding a voltage above 10v or so) you can get the charger to charge it by itself. A lot of folks chuck AGM batteries because a charger or tester calls it dead, when it ain't. I hope this works for ya!

The following 2 users liked this post by JayJagJay:
orangeblossom (01-25-2024), User 42324 (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 08:19 AM
Received 111 Likes on 98 Posts

Good tip. Worth trying.

orangeblossom (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Guys

Jay@Greg@LnrB@Robinus

Hi Jay, where have you been Bro? wanting to hear about your Electric Fans and how they are working out

Lots of New Guys on the Forum who may need your advice on doing something similar

Too late to Charge the Batteries, as I knew they were 'Toast' before I bought 'Cherry 'P' as although I have now got the New Batteries on, the Self Starter still Clicks when I try and Turn the Engine over, except when I Short the Bendix 'Thingy' out with a Screwdriver!

Greg and Lnr gave it a like and so that sounds like a good 'short term solution' ?

As I've probably got a 'dodgy' earth somewhere, which I may or may not be able to find but what I did find in the Shed is a Gadget that I've had for Years and have Never used!

That could be the proper Tool for the Job!

This is a 'Pistol Grip' device, that can 'Short the Bendix' to the Self Starter, without the Risk of chopping your fingers off if the Engine should Start!

Thanks to Jay and Robinus for what sounds like a Great Suggestion, that is sure to come in handy in the future

Old 01-25-2024, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,301 Likes on 5,423 Posts

... I have now got the New Batteries on, the Self Starter still Clicks when I try and Turn the Engine over, except when I Short the Bendix 'Thingy' out with a Screwdriver!
Greg and Lnr gave it a like and so that sounds like a good 'short term solution' ?
That's because that is a Tried and True Farmer Way of starting almost anything provided the starter pinion engages the ring gear. Bypasses Everything else. Battery voltage Straight to starter windings! Only need to have ignition ON.

On the farm, one of the first things we were taught was exactly Where to stick the screwdriver, of which there was always a Dedicated one in the tool box.
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
Greg in France (01-25-2024), orangeblossom (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Lnr@Greg

That is just Amazing!

But I was getting a bit freaked out, that the very small Terminal on the Bendix might start melting. as I didn't know 'It Was a Thing'

So when I saw that you had gone and given it a Like! instead of saying 'Alex Nooooooo! 'don't do that whatever you do!' I was feeling ever so slightly massively relieved!

No chance of trying my 'Gadget' tonight as it was getting dark, although Tomorrow we've been promised 'Sunshine' rather than the Wind and Rain that we have had for what seemed like forever and so Tomorrow I'll give it a try then let you know what happens

P.S. Is it true they used to make a Tractor, that you started with a Blank Shotgun Shell, or is that one of those things that was just 'folk law'

Old 01-25-2024, 02:57 PM
Received 111 Likes on 98 Posts

Don't know about tractors but it was used as an emergency start for propellor engines.

Old 01-25-2024, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,321 Likes on 5,471 Posts

P.S. Is it true they used to make a Tractor, that you started with a Blank Shotgun Shell, or is that one of those things that was just 'folk law'
Standard way to start radial aero engines, such as used in the Westland Whirlwind. I was shown it by an RAF pilot who landed on Lowestoft beach once!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_Leonides_Major

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffman_engine_starter

It WAS used on tractors this says!
This was in contrast with other type of cartridge starter which acted directly to drive the engine piston down and so turn the rest of the engine over, such as those used on the Field-Marshall agricultural diesel tractor.

Old 01-25-2024, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

Many aircraft engines could be started with a shotgun shell. The original "Fight of the Phoenix" movie depicted it towards the end.
Here is a video on starting a tractor with a shotgun shell.

The following 3 users liked this post by jal1234:
Greg in France (01-26-2024), LnrB (01-25-2024), orangeblossom (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 04:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,041 Posts

OB,

You know my philosophy, so I'll propose a different approach, rather than trying a workaround as you've suggested!

If something doesn't work properly, the analytical part of my personality can't rest until I've worked out what is the problem.

So, trying to look at this logically:

- I'm assuming it's a 24v system? (Hence the 2 batteries?) So make sure anything you uses or replace can handle 24v, rather than 12v
- You know it's not a battery problem as it can pull sufficient current to turn the starter when you short the terminals.
- You know it's not a starter problem or indeed the current feed to the starter again because you can make the starter operate
- The starter circuit will almost definitely use a relay as it won't want to run that current loading direct through the ignition switch
- So the problem seems to lie in the ignition switch or the switched live current to the starter.

I would, therefore start by checking the ignition switch is operating correctly Just check the current is enabling 12v as the key moves to Posn 4. I presume it really is a standard 4 position ignition switch with a sprung stater position in Posn 4, and not a 3 position switch with a separate starter button?

Good luck

Paul

The following 3 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (01-26-2024), orangeblossom (01-25-2024), Thorsen (01-26-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul

That was very interesting!

Especially the Part about the Relay, though She has a 12 Volt System and not a 24 Volt but as for the 'Key Moves' I think its a 4 although I'll double check on that Tomorrow

Not sure how hard it is going to be to remove the ignition switch to Test it but both of the Batteries had been fully Charged and also Tested with my DVM

Spoiler Alert!

'Vince' who I bought her off certainly did not disappoint and lived up to all my expectations!

Old 01-25-2024, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Robinus@Greg@Jal@Paul (ptjs)

Cheers Guys! It's all coming back to me now, I seem to remember reading about 'The Field Marshall' but didn't know that Shotgun Shells were also used on Aircraft in order to Start them

The only similar thing I've heard of was using a 'Flare' (Burning Rag soaked in Diesel) to Start a CAT D8 which was held over the Air Intake but Jagboi would probably know about that side of things

Greg in France (01-26-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

Here's a whole article on aircraft engines using that starting method.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffma...er?wprov=sfla1

The following 2 users liked this post by jal1234:
Greg in France (01-26-2024), orangeblossom (01-26-2024)
Old 01-25-2024, 09:04 PM
Received 6,324 Likes on 5,510 Posts

Who can forget Flight of the Phoenix?

orangeblossom (01-26-2024)

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12