XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,080 Likes on 2,036 Posts

OB,

I think you've gone above and beyond the call, with that wording, in protecting both yourself and the buyer. Most people would have just written "Sold as seen, with no guarantee". So I'm sure you're safe and there should be no comeback.

I'm sure it's a sad day to see it leave, but if that leaves you time and money to enjoy other things, then there's a silver lining.

I'm in the process of trying to arrange a sale of a 96 Convertible for a friend, which drives fine but needs a little TLC, so I'd be interested in how much you got for yours. Drop me a PM if you don't mind sharing.

Cheers

Paul

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,289 Likes on 5,418 Posts

You sold ONE! Congrats!!
Is that the one you've been trying to sell for Years??
I remember you have mentioned owning at least 4 at one time in recent history and needed to thin out the herd.
How many more do you have Stashed?
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
Greg in France (07-24-2024), orangeblossom (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,299 Likes on 5,462 Posts

Yeah, Alex, 'fess up, how many left?!

orangeblossom (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,805 Likes on 2,634 Posts

Hi Paul (ptjs)

I think the sale may have fallen through, as although the potential buyer was due to come over Tomorrow (Thursday) something has cropped up which means that he can't make it

Although he said he'd keep in touch, so make of that what you will

These Cars do seem to be fetching peanuts at the moment although I have a feeling that the situation could be about to change with Austin Healey's Fetching £50,000 to £60,000

A Guy down our way has one and so I know which one I would rather be driving and it isn't the Austin Healey!

I'll send you a PM later, as I am a bit shattered at the moment

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (07-25-2024), ptjs1 (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Lnr

I think the sale may have fallen through as the potential purchaser cannot make it tomorrow as was arraged

I'll send the Answer to your inquiry over to Greg

LnrB (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

3 X V12 Convertibles and 1 X 4.0L Convertible Plus a V12 Coupe that I will probably never get around to restoring but since I'm feeling in a generous mood, I might gift it over to you

As for the Sale of the 4.0L Vert looking like it may have fallen through, I am in fact really 'Over the Moon' about that!

As I was intending to 'Gift Him' a Full Set of Pirelli's which may have been getting very Close to £600 and also knock up to £3,000 off my asking price and also include a Valuable XJS Number Plate

This is where some people tend to get me wrong, as I'm quite a 'Random Act of Kindness Guy' when I'm in the right mood

The 4.0L Vert looks Amazing! we have been washing and polishing her all day and the Engine Starts on the Button 10 times out of 10 and runs as sweet as a Nut and though it does fill me with Shame to say this

I have now taken your Slogan, 'Only the Best For my Baby' to a whole new different Level

You better sit down for this one Greg, as instead of using New Bath Towels

We have been using (drum-roll) British Airways First Class Hand Towels, that feel as if they may have been made from Egyptian Cotton

This is opulence on Steroids Greg, 'Bite it and Believe it'

Greg in France (07-25-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,289 Likes on 5,418 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
... with Austin Healey's Fetching £50,000 to £60,000...
Unbelievable! Absolutely Unbelievable!

When I met husband he was driving a partially restored 1958 Austin Healey 100-6 (which he called Austin H), into which he has crammed a Ford 289 V8, (It was the CAR that got my attention) That was the first I knew such a thing could even be done! (This was some time before the battery incident related over in the Xj6 section)

I had never seen such a Cute little car before, growing up as I did "Out on the farm" surrounded by pickups and grain trucks and tractors.

While we were dating I watched as he flared the rear fenders for street slicks. He orange-peeled the existing metal, brazed small key-stock on the edge to hold the shape, and smoothed it out with Bondo. It looked pretty Evil I thought.

But after we were married he decided we were short of cash so he sold it!!
I think he asked the Princely sum of $500!!
AND I NEVER EVEN GOT TO DRIVE IT!!!

I've never quite forgiven him...
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 07-24-2024 at 07:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
Greg in France (07-25-2024), orangeblossom (07-25-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,181 Likes on 685 Posts

Oh that Jag! since you didn't exactly state which one was on the choppin block, I had forgotten about the 4.0L one.
I was thinking Fifty Shades, or the beloved Cheery Blossom. Now my Faith has been restored, you haven't lost your good sense at all. Whew! All is well with the world.

Jack

The following 3 users liked this post by 89 Jacobra:
Greg in France (07-25-2024), orangeblossom (07-25-2024), Thorsen (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Lnr

The Healey certainly does have 'a look' there's no denying that but the XJS is the 'Bargain' that hasn't quite come into its own, as least not yet and while I am not the biggest fan of the XJS 4.0L

My Morocco Red 'Vert' is one of the most beautiful Cars that you have ever seen

Especially since the GF and me, spent the whole day sorting out all of those annoying little problems that crop up from time to time and then hand polished her to a Shine, so deep you'd need a Submarine to find out where it ends

It would seem at least to me that my potential purchaser may have missed a bargain, as She is a real 'Bobby Dazzler' that looks as delicious, as a slice of Apple Pie and runs as Silky Smooth as Melting Chocolate 'sorry I've made you all hungry now' but that is really the only way to describe her

Greg in France (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,299 Likes on 5,462 Posts

Alex
A suggestion: get Paul's garage to bleed the brakes, put on the tyres, MOT her, and then decide to sell, or keep her. You are at a real disadvantage selling a car with dodgy brakes. Then , at least, you will not have to knock 3,000 off the asking price.
The problem with XJSs is that most people have NO idea of how good they are!
A true story: My niece Françoise and her hubby came to stay a few weeks ago on the rolling acres. He is a very successful businessman and has had all sorts of cars. He and I went out for a drive and after I warmed her up I asked him to drive it over my 25 km test route (straights, a series of downhill corners, all sorts). After a few minutes he was (and I am quoting him) "gobsmacked" (meaning 'astonished' for our non- UK readers).
He said and again I quote: "This is the best car I have ever been in or driven. It is incredible quiet, responsive, corners amazingly, handles wonderfully and the ride is superb. No rattles and the entire thing seems taut and perfect".
Naturally, I was thrilled and rewarded him by opening the finest Burgundies at lunchtime! But this illustrates the problem, he is in his 50s, a car nut, but just had NO idea how good a well sorted XJS is.

The following 3 users liked this post by Greg in France:
orangeblossom (07-25-2024), ptjs1 (07-25-2024), Thorsen (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

Where's Paul's Garage?

If you mean Paul (ptjs) I don't think that he lives that near to me but my MOT Guy who I have a really good rapport with, might be persuaded to pick her up from my place on his Transit Transporter, fix the Brakes and then give her an MOT

As you are absolutely right, as while I know its a good Car or should that be a Great Car! I suppose I'm asking him to take a bit of a leap of Faith from someone that he's never met before and doesn't know

Although in quite a number of ways, I think he may have done it to himself, as when I said I was fitting Khumos, he was insistent that he wanted Pirelli rather than 'Budget Tyres' which Khumo are not and where the fact that you use these yourself, really tells me all I need to know

Although I also suggested that if he didn't like Khumos, then he could swap them over for Pirelli, as She won't pass any MOT with the Pirelli that She has on at the moment

Maybe there is a genuine reason why he couldn't get down today, or else maybe not, as we know what people are like

I also said I'd understand if he had Changed his mind but also to please let me know, in case there may be someone else who was interested

As of yet he hasn't come back and so I will give it to Monday, before I go and see my MOT Guy

ptjs1 (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member

OB, ,

I'd very strongly suggest that you get the car MoT'd. I'm in the same position with my friends car, and a car without an MoT raises all sorts of questions. At least if it has an MoT, then it's deemed to be roadworthy. If it doesn't have an MoT, then everyone will (perhaps rightly) assume that there must be something seriously wrong with it, as why wouldn't you MoT it before selling?

If the car has an MoT and has been recently re-commissioned (fluids & filters), then I think it has a much better chance of convincing a buyer that it's at least a 1/2 decent car, even if it requires further fettling.

A non-roadworthy car has to be treated as an unknown restoration project, as you have described, with a material reduction in its appeal and value to potential buyers. And your car is far too good to fall into that category.

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (07-25-2024), orangeblossom (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul (ptjs)

Have just sent you a PM as requested

Alex

ptjs1 (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Jack

Didn't quite lose all my 'marbles!' still got one or two left

And while I have to say my 4.0L Celebration Convertible is a Stunning looking Car, the V12 is the only game in Town, as I happen to find the Engine easier to Work on, or maybe that's just me

89 Jacobra (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

In Search Of Purr Perfection For My XJS Celebration Convertible
Since the potential purchaser of my XJS Celebration Convertible was kind enough to let me know that he had dropped out, I am going to put some New Tyres on, Fix the Brakes, then have her MOT'd

Though in the meantime want to make her look as nice as She can be and so what I would like to do, is a little bit more detailing to the Engine, Namely on the Cam Cover, where the word JAGUAR is written in Big Green Letters

Unfortunately these Letters are now starting to fade and so I would be very grateful for any advice on how to paint them, so that they really Pop!

ptjs1 (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

OB,

One of the ways that you can do those raised letters is as follows:

- Thoroughly clean the surface of the letters
- Spray a small amount of the green paint onto a piece of plastic
- Take a small roller or paint pad - don't use a soft spongey one - and gently load the surface with the paint
- Make a single wipe of the roller or pad across the letters, do it very gently so it just loads a thin skim of paint on the top surface and doesn't run down the sides.
- If you want to be even more careful, take off the plastic cover, suspend it upside down and paint from underneath which avoids the paint running "down" from the letters.
- If you make a mess, quickly wipe it all off and start again!

Cheers

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
Greg in France (07-26-2024), orangeblossom (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul (ptjs)

Excellent Idea! and going to have a go at doing that

Also as I mentioned in my PM to you just now

GF: came up with a blindingly obvious idea about the Wheels, so if you can't think of a reason why that wouldn't work

Then I can Share it in a post with the Guys and Gals on the Forum and only get 'egg on my face' just once instead of twice!

Old 07-26-2024, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member

GF Comes Up With A Great Idea At 2/30 AM

So Obvious That I'm Still Kicking Myself For Not Thinking Of It Sooner

But That Can Sometimes Happen To Solutions That Are Hiding In Plain Sight!

The Problem: Attempting To Sell My XJS With The Brakes Not Working And No MOT and In Case I Forget To Mention It She Also Needs NEW Tyres! where the last potential buyer was absolutely adamant that he wanted Pirelli while I had it in mind to fit Khumo a High Quality Mid Range Tyre

As I really didn't want to Spend £600+ Upfront until I had the Brakes and the MOT Completely Sorted, where to make matters worse if they could get worse there are different types of Marelli Tyres on the Market

So I was sort of having this Nightmare of Not only Spending £600+ but spending it on the wrong Tyres!

As of course She needs to have Tyres before I take her for an MOT (Catch 22 or What!)

But then just when you're Thinking, that everything is lost, the GF comes up with a Simple idea, that really Blew me away!

As I've got loads of 15 inch Lattice Alloy Wheels and Tyres laying around my Workshop, that over time I had picked up from other Cars XJS's I have owned

And so in Theory I could take the 16 inch Wheels and Tyres off and then replace them with 15 inch Lattice Alloys and then use these to take my Car for an MOT (on a Trailer) while having the Celebration Wheels already and waiting for what ever make of Tyre the New Owner might want to put on

So maybe Paul (ptjs) or someone who knows, would let me have their Thoughts on that idea

Old 07-26-2024, 03:22 AM
Veteran Member

OB,

Quick reply as just heading out the door.

Sounds a perfectly valid approach! And of course, you can legally drive on the road without tax and MoT to a pre-arranged Mot, as long as you have insurance. Just be careful to use the appropriate wheel nuts as some of the Jaguar ones have tapered shoulders, depending on the wheel type.

Good luck

Paul

orangeblossom (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Panic Stations!
15 inch Wheels Don't Fit!
Just removed a 16 inch Celebration Wheel and Replaced it with a 15 inch Pre-Face Lift Wheel but the Wheel Nuts are Sticking out Twice as much as before

Does anyone think its the Wheel Nuts? or is this another Nightmare about to come true?

The Wheel is Flat against the Hub and is Not Hanging out at an Angle, like it may look in the Photo

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12