XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Oh man, I am with you there ...
I know the fear as garages got flooded during the typhoons we have here in summer.
I hope things work out for you.

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
orangeblossom (01-13-2017), paulyling (01-13-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,089 Likes on 839 Posts

I'm terribly sorry to hear the news!! Since the red car has inboard brakes, can you use vise grips on the rear brake flexible hoses so you can just use the front brakes to stop the car? It's something better than nothing so you can get it to higher ground. Take through pictures of the cars before the storm hits so you can submit it to your insurance company. As soon as the water subsides, pull the seats and carpet out and rinse the floor with fresh water to at least rid the salt water out??? I'm not sure about that but, I'm thinking about the rust.

Last edited by Addicted2boost; 01-12-2017 at 09:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Addicted2boost:
Old 01-12-2017, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I hope you and the cars stay safe. If the cars are flooded in the garage is that covered by your home insurance? I hope you don't need to use it.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Old 01-13-2017, 01:04 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Crikey mate that is rough!

I sure hope the levels don't get that bad that it floods your garage. Is your hoist still working? At the very least perhaps jack them or hoist them up as high as possible if you can't move them. It might make the difference?

I dunno mate I guess I am clutching at straws but please give us update and hoping you are safe as well as the kitties!

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 01:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

A friend used gaffa tape to seal the doors closed to at least stop the worst getting inside the car. So biy some good tape, very sticky stuff and stick it over the main openings of your doors. This might sound 'one sided' but it can be the protection you need in the very last moment.

Regarding water on the engine and tranny and co: don't worry about that. The car gets all that when driven in the rain. It is the mid what is the worst part. So avoid mid getting inside the car. Underneath can be washed off cheaply...

Good luck for you OB! I know the feeling. We just escaped flooding here by a couple of centimetres. Our embankments had all turned soggy and were slowly crumbling. The Weser (local river) had risen a good 13 meters compared to normal level. My home is about 1 m below Weser level but still just above sealevel... Just after the level dropped, one embankment just erroded away.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,805 Likes on 2,634 Posts

Hi Guys

I haven't had time to read all your Comments, although I know that you are wishing me well but I will get around to it, in the event that I've still got a House left this Afternoon!

Not of course forgetting the Cars that I have worked so hard on and managed to fix with your help and suggestions, which could all come to nothing in the next few hours.

There are 12 Severe Flood Warnings in Place with Danger to Life and Property, check it out for yourself on the BBC News.

And guess who's slap bang in the middle of that, it is unfortunately me.

The next 3 Hours will be Critical, Storm Surge Expected according to the Met Office, so no more communications from me for a while.

But Thanks for your kind thoughts it means a lot.

paulyling (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 04:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Keep your head up mate! Hope all goes well...!

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
orangeblossom (01-13-2017), paulyling (01-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quick Update:

No Flood Water so far but a bigger Tidal Surge is due at Midnight

TV Cameras everywhere, don't forget to catch it on the News.

Got the Cars all safe now, or safer than they were first thing this morning.

That's all for now going back to bed to catch up on sleep in case it kicks off at Midnight and Yes! you can drive a Jag without Brakes, to get it up on the Car Ramp.

Stopping it was quite a different matter!

To be Continued..................

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Daim (01-13-2017), paulyling (01-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Exactly. We are having floods all around here. Lots of damage. Rods washed away, trees down, cars over the side. houses flooded. Folks being rescued by boat and big trucks. Our drought is broken, big time. But, although the resevoirs are full and even having to spill off excess, not quite done. We must not waste water, the badly over drawn under ground aquifers must be recharged.

No, a HO policy will not pay for a flood damaged car. Nor for a flood damaged house, either. Comprehensive will cover a flood damaged car.

Flood insurance is available for properties in a designated flood plain, but like EQ insurance, expensive and limited in coverage.

Our insurors and my former professional colleagues, claim adjusters are extremely busy.

Sunshine today..... Yipeee

Carl

Old 01-13-2017, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Guys

Its 001AM in the UK and whatever danger we were supposed to be in has gone away and since we were put on high alert, we never saw so much as one drop of Water.

So that's a relief for a start.

The 'Gaffer Tape' to seal the doors was a really good idea and I'm sure it would have worked if it were needed, the only question for me now is how do I get that stuff off?

As I don't want the Paint to come away with it.

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Jonathan-W (01-13-2017), paulyling (01-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Oh man, I am with you there ...
I know the fear as garages got flooded during the typhoons we have here in summer.
I hope things work out for you.
Hi Eric

Cheers!

The danger has passed by now, so I think we'll be ok until next year but if you saw the News feeds you would think that we were facing Armageddon, although I never saw a single drop of water.

So I guess that they were erring on the side of caution just in case and you can't really blame them for that.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Exactly. We are having floods all around here. Lots of damage. Rods washed away, trees down, cars over the side. houses flooded. Folks being rescued by boat and big trucks. Our drought is broken, big time. But, although the resevoirs are full and even having to spill off excess, not quite done. We must not waste water, the badly over drawn under ground aquifers must be recharged.

No, a HO policy will not pay for a flood damaged car. Nor for a flood damaged house, either. Comprehensive will cover a flood damaged car.

Flood insurance is available for properties in a designated flood plain, but like EQ insurance, expensive and limited in coverage.

Our insurors and my former professional colleagues, claim adjusters are extremely busy.

Sunshine today..... Yipeee

Carl
Hi Carl

I think I got off lightly, I just lost all the guttering in a Storm this afternoon and since I was already planning to replace it anyway, that saved me a job.

As for any water, I never saw a drop!

paulyling (01-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Keep your head up mate! Hope all goes well...!
Hi Daim

Cheers!

But in the even nothing happened at least down my way, so just got to get that 'Gaffer Tape' off the doors.

Which was a really good idea by the way, as I'm sure it would have saved the situation.

paulyling (01-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Eric

Cheers!

The danger has passed by now, so I think we'll be ok until next year but if you saw the News feeds you would think that we were facing Armageddon, although I never saw a single drop of water.

So I guess that they were erring on the side of caution just in case and you can't really blame them for that.
Wow man, I kept track of some on the internet, although I am not sure where you are exactly located.
Surely happy for you it has passed.

I know how it feels, we prepare for some 5 strong to super typhoons a year, but most of them never directly hit the exact spot we live, or kind of implode once they pass the high mountain range.
It always leaves you with a happy, but also unsatisfied feeling, as all the preparations and hassle was for nothing.
Still better then being hit though .

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
orangeblossom (01-13-2017), paulyling (01-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
A friend used gaffa tape to seal the doors closed to at least stop the worst getting inside the car. So biy some good tape, very sticky stuff and stick it over the main openings of your doors. This might sound 'one sided' but it can be the protection you need in the very last moment.

Regarding water on the engine and tranny and co: don't worry about that. The car gets all that when driven in the rain. It is the mid what is the worst part. So avoid mid getting inside the car. Underneath can be washed off cheaply...

Good luck for you OB! I know the feeling. We just escaped flooding here by a couple of centimetres. Our embankments had all turned soggy and were slowly crumbling. The Weser (local river) had risen a good 13 meters compared to normal level. My home is about 1 m below Weser level but still just above sealevel... Just after the level dropped, one embankment just erroded away.
Hi Daim

Cheers!

I did the 'Gaffer Tape' thing like you said but fortunately it was not needed.

paulyling (01-14-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Wow man, I kept track of some on the internet, although I am not sure where you are exactly located.
Surely happy for you it has passed.

I know how it feels, we prepare for some 5 strong to super typhoons a year, but most of them never directly hit the exact spot we live, or kind of implode once they pass the high mountain range.
It always leaves you with a happy, but also unsatisfied feeling, as all the preparations and hassle was for nothing.
Still better then being hit though .
Tell me about it Eric!

It was Panic Stations round here and I thought that I would lose all the Cars!

Two of them didn't have any Brakes, as I was working on them, so theoretically they could not be moved.

Don't try this at home!

But seeing that I had no choice, I decided to move them anyway to a safer place within my Garden, all I had was the hand brake but that was

more than enough to do the job, so glad I had that working for the MOT, it saved the day.

But as for being flooded out, it simply didn't happen, I never saw a single drop of water, so that also left me with the kind of feeling you described.

I guess that the Authorities didn't have much choice, except for erring on the side of Caution, as had things gone the other way, they would have never heard the last of it.

Looking on the Bright Side it was quite exciting all the same, with loads of TV Cameras and Reporters everywhere, which gave me the chance to go and see how its all done.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
I hope you and the cars stay safe. If the cars are flooded in the garage is that covered by your home insurance? I hope you don't need to use it.
Hi Warrjon

Since those Cars were not on the road, I didn't have them Insured but fortunately none was ever needed.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
I'm terribly sorry to hear the news!! Since the red car has inboard brakes, can you use vise grips on the rear brake flexible hoses so you can just use the front brakes to stop the car? It's something better than nothing so you can get it to higher ground. Take through pictures of the cars before the storm hits so you can submit it to your insurance company. As soon as the water subsides, pull the seats and carpet out and rinse the floor with fresh water to at least rid the salt water out??? I'm not sure about that but, I'm thinking about the rust.
Cheers!

A2B but fortunately the Danger has now passed.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

Panic Over!

I'm off to bed and haven't had much Sleep in the last two days but thanks to all who tried to help it was appreciated.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Warrjon

Since those Cars were not on the road, I didn't have them Insured but fortunately none was ever needed.
When my XJS was off the road for 18months I had Shannons layup insurance, it covered everything including all the parts I had stored, even covered it on a tilt tray when being moved. It was about $200 per annum.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Jonathan-W (01-13-2017), orangeblossom (01-14-2017)

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12