XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,272 Likes on 5,446 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Warrjon

I don't know for sure (maybe someone who does will chip in) but I have a feeling the same applies in the UK.

Where your Tyres must be capable of the maximum speed of the Vehicle, even if you never go anywhere near that limit.
It does, the insurers will not pay on a claim if the tyres were under the correct speed rating. It could also easily trigger a criminal or civil claim if a serious accident occurred.
Greg

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Please could someone give me the outside diameter of the Engine Oil Sump Plug or the inside diameter of the Engine Oil Sump Plug Washer.

So I can order some new Sump Plug Washers.

Thanks
The plug is 5/8 UNC thread. Manners sell the washers for almost nothing.
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
orangeblossom (02-08-2017), paulyling (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
It does, the insurers will not pay on a claim if the tyres were under the correct speed rating. It could also easily trigger a criminal or civil claim if a serious accident occurred.
Greg
Hi Greg

Cheers!

Even worse than I thought then!

But the Good news is the GF has found me Four New Pirelli P600 at £100 a piece!
although I'm going to check them out, just to make sure that they are the real deal and not remoulds or something like that.

Old 02-08-2017, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,880 Likes on 7,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
Greg

Like 'market differences' in how our Jags were built, there are 'market' differences in insurance claims, vehicles safety inspections, and the like.

As for tire speed ratings, insurance companies in the USA simply don't "go there". It is a non-issue....most likely because accidents due to tire failure make up only a tiny fraction of the total. And, of tire-related accidents that do occur, under-inflation is by far the most common reason. Tire failures due to incorrect speed rating are virtually non-existent because so few people drive, and so few accidents occur, at speeds where the speed rating would enter into the discussion.

In countries where tire speed ratings ARE an issue for insurance companies I have a very hard time believing that incorrect speed rating would be cause to summarily deny a claim or be the basis of a lawsuit......unless of course the *actual cause* of the accident was indeed incorrect speed rating.

Cheers
DD

orangeblossom (02-09-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 08:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Doug:

Yup. It is referred to as "nexus". Causal relation shop. A proximate or contributing cause.

1. ABC insurance company insured George and his 95 XJS. Collision coverage included. George decided he would forego speed rated tires and that "T" rated ones would suit his driving just fine. Oops, George was inattentive for just the wrong fraction of a second and "rear ended" the car ahead. In town, speed at about 15mph.
"Sorry, George, you failed to properly maintain your car by buying inadequate tires for that car. You are on your own as to not only the squashed nose of your car, but, also the claim for property damage and injury by the folks you hit". Any logic here escapes me.

2. Same accident. Folks now have the law firm of "Beatem and Cheatem" to represent them. Rear ender. Easy lawsuit. But, B&C decide to enhance it. Gross negligence. Poor maintenance. Inadequate tires. Surely, a contributing cause. Utter nonsense.

Sidebar: I've just concluded negotiations with my insurer for my cars and my house.
Had to stave off what seems an inevitable increase in premiums. If only, they didn't spend so many dollars on their inane TV adds....

Rant done....

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Doug (02-08-2017), orangeblossom (02-09-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Tires under Kitchen table?
I can not convince the family that that is normal... ;-)

orangeblossom (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,880 Likes on 7,154 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Doug:

Yup. It is referred to as "nexus". Causal relation shop. A proximate or contributing cause.

Thanks Carl.

As I've mentioned a few times I 'launched a probe' into this matter a number of years ago.

Being in the auto repair business for so long I knew a number of insurance claims adjusters. When asked about the speed rating issue each of them looked at me as though I had just landed from Mars and told me to go sober up . I then read my own policy and found no mention of tire speed rating. I then called my agent, and then the claims department of my insurance company....and they had never heard of any instances where a policy from any USA insurer included any such language nor remember of any occasion that the subject even came up.

One less thing to worry about, eh ?

Cheers
DD

Old 02-08-2017, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jonathan-W
Tires under Kitchen table?
I can not convince the family that that is normal... ;-)

Hi Jonathan

Start with the small stuff like Spark Plugs and work your way up from there.

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (02-09-2017), Jonathan-W (02-09-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Carl

Don't know for sure but there might be some EU directive, that says you can't do it.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

Cheers!

I'll order some tomorrow.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

In Australia it's not the insurance companies as such, it is a requirement of the Australian Design Rules (ADR's) that each vehicle MUST comply with to get approval to be sold in our market. The vehicle can not be modified so as not to meet the ADR's that were in place when the vehicle was new. This even covers fitting wider tyres, it's illegal here to fit wheels more than 1" wider than the widest wheel available from the manufacturer without the need to have the vehicle engineered.

As Australia follows the EU the regs in the UK could be similar to our draconian system.

The following 3 users liked this post by warrjon:
Greg in France (02-09-2017), orangeblossom (02-09-2017), paulyling (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 01:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

As said... Germany is part of the EU and our tire law confitms with EU regulations...

Tire with lower speed index: Vmax sticker in sight of the driver is required. If you drive gaster and have an accident, it is your fault, no coverage. If you have an accident at lower speeds due to tire fatigue or so, then it is okay. I could fit T on my H rated car with no worries. My XJ has V winter tires... To avoid the sticker...

The following 2 users liked this post by Daim:
orangeblossom (02-09-2017), paulyling (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
In Australia it's not the insurance companies as such, it is a requirement of the Australian Design Rules (ADR's) that each vehicle MUST comply with to get approval to be sold in our market. The vehicle can not be modified so as not to meet the ADR's that were in place when the vehicle was new. This even covers fitting wider tyres, it's illegal here to fit wheels more than 1" wider than the widest wheel available from the manufacturer without the need to have the vehicle engineered.

As Australia follows the EU the regs in the UK could be similar to our draconian system.
In the UK, insurance contracts are not subject to equity interpretations in the way normal commercial contracts are. They are contracts of the "utmost good faith" and any and all even insignificant changes to the vehicle can be reasons for refusing to honour claims. Insurers have even tried to use the fitting of Coopercraft brakes (far better disc brakes) to mark IIs as a reason to deny a claim. Any changes must be notified IN ADVANCE to the insurers and in fairness, if they are sensible, they are normally accepted with no problem. When I insured my car I notified the UK insurer of the AJ6 plus torque kit, Motolita steering wheel, later 16 inch Jaguar XJS wheel rims, and so on. Same in France under my policy, ALL change must be notified, (eg my recently fitted non-standard radiator expansion tank has been). If you do not, you are immediately at risk depending upon the attitude struck by the Insurer. A legal fight with them is normally out of the question for many reasons.
Greg

Old 02-09-2017, 04:03 AM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Gotta love how lawyers and the law have strangled the life blood out of society for their own self interests alone.

Old 02-09-2017, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

Hi Jonathan

Start with the small stuff like Spark Plugs and work your way up from there.
got two Ignition coils stuffed under the TV tuner... yellow and black boxes
that's a start I guess...
also like food.. it is 90% presentation..

4 tires under the Kitchen table do no fly as well as going to Home Depot or Hobby Lobby and buying a Glass coffee table top and the dressing up the tires and rims with polish and shine and presenting it as "My new neat coffee Table" heheheheheh! Might do that when I get to pick up a "Spare Engine"
of course all fluids drained and it cleaned up nice.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jonathan-W:
Greg in France (02-10-2017), orangeblossom (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Ugh, most of this stuff is utter nonsense. Politicians have no business in private contracts or engineering.

And, sad to say many of my former colleagues were/are dumb and either can not read or think or both.

Circa 54, my 53 MG TD got "pranged" by a GI truck. My claim was denied. Stupid or non reason. Oh, s.. I'm too damn busy to fuss with it. I have insurance. German shop did a decent repair. Adjuster denied the busted spark plug!! Relied on "mechanical or electrical failure" exclusion. Standing alone, proper. But, a covered peril as a proximate cause, no sir. But, again, What the h... minor cost. Got my car back, fixed, other fish to fry. Stupidity won.

While in college, I got a job with a Credit Company. A tale in itself. A colleague got a better job with a Texas based insurance Company. Oh me. "Llloyds Guarantee of London" or close. Brit, not even close. His job "Claim Manager". Sounds important, huh!! Duty. Stamp all incoming claims with a rubber stamp, "DENIED". If any kick backs, negotiate.

Carl

Old 02-09-2017, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I guess the moral of the story OB is play it safe to ensure you are covered by insurance.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Received 322 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Ugh, most of this stuff is utter nonsense. Politicians have no business in private contracts or engineering.

And, sad to say many of my former colleagues were/are dumb and either can not read or think or both.

Circa 54, my 53 MG TD got "pranged" by a GI truck. My claim was denied. Stupid or non reason. Oh, s.. I'm too damn busy to fuss with it. I have insurance. German shop did a decent repair. Adjuster denied the busted spark plug!! Relied on "mechanical or electrical failure" exclusion. Standing alone, proper. But, a covered peril as a proximate cause, no sir. But, again, What the h... minor cost. Got my car back, fixed, other fish to fry. Stupidity won.

While in college, I got a job with a Credit Company. A tale in itself. A colleague got a better job with a Texas based insurance Company. Oh me. "Llloyds Guarantee of London" or close. Brit, not even close. His job "Claim Manager". Sounds important, huh!! Duty. Stamp all incoming claims with a rubber stamp, "DENIED". If any kick backs, negotiate.

Carl
Sounds like the VA.

Old 02-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Believe it or not a simple Sticker counts as a Modification in the UK as well as upgrading your Sound System.

All of which you need to declare to your Insurance Company, or who knows they might not pay out.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 02-09-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Greg in France (02-10-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Jonathan

While at least its a step in the right direction, you are not even on the Nursery Slopes, as one of our Forum Members and a very good Friend of mine, 'Hides his Car In Plain Sight' in a room of his house.

I will leave it to him if he wants to 'Fess up' but if I had a Spare room, that wasn't full of Spares I'd do the same.

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Jonathan-W (02-10-2017), paulyling (02-09-2017)

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12